Subject: Please read: restrictions

From: Roman Markowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:06:15 -0500

Ladies and Gentlemen
 
it has been discovered during last few days that NPAC
financial resources are dwindling faster than expected,

SU is making an effort to continue paying salaries for
as long as possible, even if this means coming up with
extra out-of-the-pocket money.

However, to make it possible, we are asked for active
cooperation in cutting waste. NPAC has been NOTORIOUS
for very high support costs.

as of IMMEDIATELY, the following austerity measures will
be taken:

- you are not supposed to make ANY international phone
  calls from SU phones, unless instructed to do so. all
  unauthorized calls will be charged to you personally.
  since SU is paying much higher rates than the rates
  you might get in special international plans, you better
  don't make such calls at all.

- for long distance calls, you MUST sign up to one of the
  free internet phone companies (dialpad.com), and ONLY 
  use their service, calling from your desktop. all other
  long-distance calls will be billed to you. exceptions 
  require my approval, and they only can be granted to 
  calls made on business.

- use of the phones in open offices (like 3-216) to make
  long distance calls is a THEFT of services and is 
  forbidden!

- Printing: the number of printers will be drastically reduced.
  Students will only be able to print on ONE printer in 3-217.
  other printers can be assigned to groups who can pick-up
  toner cost. Color printing is totally off limits w/o permission.
  access to color printer  can be granted but you will
  have to pay for all private jobs, at the cost- neutral rate
  of $0.45 per page.

   All print jobs must be limited. don't print your e-mail. only
   print what your REALLY need.

   Printing of books and manuals from Internet is strictly prohibited.
   Books can be purchased in numerous bookstores or from
   vendors

- Copying:

  the main copy machine in 3-217 will have access
  number changed. the machine is off-limit to students.

  Color copying machine is totally off-limits. anybody caught
  using it will be charged on the spot.

  Copying of ANY copyrighted materials, like books, is
  FORBIDDEN under any circumstances. people caught
  doing it will be reported to SU Security and may face federal
  felony charges.

- Coffee room:

  regretfully, coffee room will no longer serve coffee. this may be
  especially painful to the individuals known to steal NPAC coffee
  to take it home. make your own brew. NPAC coffee wasn't good
  anyway.

- NPAC property:

  it is illegal to take home any office supplies, small computer
  equipment, paper, etc.

regards
roman

-- 
/ Dr. Roman Markowski, IS Manager,   NPAC,  Syracuse University \
| 111 College Place, Syracuse, NY 13244-4100      office  3-187 |
| voice 315-443-3921   mobile 315-373-6346     fax 315-443-1973 |
\ [email-masked]   url: http://www.npac.syr.edu/users/roman /