Subject: Call for papers on Creative Evolutionary Systems

From: Peter Bentley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:28:51 +0100

(apologies for the multitudinous postings)

******************************************************************
*                           CALL FOR PAPERS                      *
*                                 on                             * 
*                    CREATIVE EVOLUTIONARY SYSTEMS               *
*                                                                *
*         AISB Symposium on Creative Evolutionary Systems,       *
*                 Edinburgh, UK, April 6-9th 1999                *
*                                                                *
* Extended Abstracts:                         12th Dec. 1998     *
*      Notification re abstracts:             20th Jan. 1999     *
*           Revised papers for Symposium:     12th Mar  1999     *
*                  Camera Readies for proc:   24th May  1999     *
******************************************************************

  Peter Bentley, Department of Computer Science, UCL, UK
                    [email-masked]

  David Corne, Department of Computer Science, University of Reading, UK
                    [email-masked]

THE SYMPOSIUM

 Evolutionary computation techniques are increasingly being used and
investigated in applications involving creativity and innovation. Such
applications include evolving art, evolving music, creative
architectural design, creative mechanical and structural design,
evolving innovative strategies for game playing, evolving innovative
aircraft manoeuvre strategies, and several more.  The potential of
evolutionary computation in this general area is vast; indeed, there
are already CD's on the market which feature saxophone solos produced
by genetic algorithms, displays at art galleries featuring
evolutionary abstract art, and structures being built according to
innovative evolved designs. Such creative evolutionary systems are
often collaborative systems, in which the user is the primary source
for assigning fitness to candidate designs. In other cases, the
creative process is entirely automated, with the system finding
innovative ways to meet general user-specified constraints.  Both types
of creative evolutionary system share central and common research
issues. Technically, these include such issues as diversity
maintenance, dynamic fitness functions, grammar-based and other dynamic
and rich representation schemes, and so forth). These issues, and
others central to engendering creative behaviour in evolutionary
systems, will be fruitfully explored by bringing together state of the
art work in this general area for the first time at this symposium.

The areas of interest of the symposium will include, but are not
limited to:

Evolutionary art ; evolutionary music ; creative evolutionary design ;
conceptual evolutionary design ; innovative applications of
evolutionary computation ; innovative strategy evolution ;
collaborative evolutionary systems ; interactive evolutionary systems
; evolution of artificial life forms ; evolutionary sculpture ;
evolutionary architecture .

 This Symposium is part of the 1999 AISB Convention to be held at
Edinburgh in April 1999, hosted by the Edinburgh College of Art, and
the University of Edinburgh Division of Informatics.

PUBLICATION

The Proceedings of the Symposium will be published by Springer, and will
be available shortly after the workshop itself. 

SUBMISSION 

Extended abstracts (at least 1500 words) are to be sent to either or
both of the programme chairs by 12th December 1998. The programme
committee (see below) will review the abstracts, and authors will be
notified by 20th January 1999. Full papers are then required by 12th
March 1999 for inclusion in a symposium booklet, and for further more
detailed review by the programme committee. Camera Ready papers,
revised in the light of reviewers' comments, will then be required by
24th May 1999 for publication in the Springer proceedings.

E-mail is strongly preferred for all submissions (plain text,
postscript, WORD, Latex, etc ...).

SUMMARY OF DEADLINES/TIMETABLE

 Extended Abstracts:                    12th Dec. 1998     
 Notification re abstracts:             20th Jan. 1999     
 Revised papers for Symposium:          12th Mar  1999     
 Symposium:                              April 6th and 7th 1999
 Camera Readies for proc:               24th May  1999     
 Published Proceedings Available:       July 1999 (approx.)

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

  Wolfgang BANZHAF, Dortmund University, Germany
  Peter BENTLEY, University College London, UK
  David CORNE, University of Reading, UK
  Richard DAWKINS, Oxford University, UK 
  Terry FOGARTY, Napier University, UK
  David FOGEL, Natural Selection Inc., USA 
  John GERO,  Sydney University, Australia
  David GOLDBERG, University of Illinois, USA
  Erik GOODMAN, Michigan State University, USA 
  John KOZA, Stanford University, USA
  Celestino SODDU, Milan Polytechnic, Italy
  Peter ROSS, University of Edinburgh, UK
  Mike ROSENMAN, Sydney University, Australia
  Kevin WARWICK, University of Reading, UK
  Darrell WHITLEY, Colorado State University, USA

Symposium WWW-Site:  
Check here for additions to the programme committee and further updates

 http://www.cs.reading.ac.uk/cs/research/ces/index.html 

*****************************************************************