Subject: [Fwd: [Fwd: Software to Provide Web Based Account Access]]

From: Rebecca Fahey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 08:46:18 -0600

I was just wondering if you had considered which version of your VPL
is best suited to our needs here at ERDC.  We would love to get started
on the project of modifying it for our needs.  If modifying
your VPL will not be feasible, please let me know.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Software to Provide Web Based Account Access
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:21:58 -0600
From: Rebecca Fahey <[email-masked]>
Organization: ERDC MSRC
To: [email-masked]

Dr. Fox,

I am very grateful for your offer to provide some guidance as we begin
trying to develop a web based account interface for ERDC HPC users.  You
had asked me to jot down our goals for the project.  For the sake of
completeness, I will include all our goals.  Of course, I'm sure you
won't have a version that matches our goals exactly.  However, if I am
able to begin with a version that matches some of our goals, my
development time should be much shorter.

Project goal:
Provide a web based interface to ERDC HPCs for use by researchers doing
mobil computing.  The interface should provide the functionality most
commonly required of researchers and format the output as appropriate
for the mobil device being used.

Functionality required:
1.  Access any of the five different HPCs (origin, jim, osprey, pandion,
or cobalt).
2.  View and edit files.
3.  View jpgs or jifs.
4.  Create scripts.
5.  Submit existing job scripts and get information about the queue
6.  Create directories and copy/move files.
7.  Possibly upload/download files.  (This may not be included.)
8.  Possibly use ftp.  (This may not be included.)
9.  Possibly issue unix commands.  (This may not be included.)

Project constraints:
1.  The interface must be located on a remote web server (apollo) and
access the HPCs remotely.
2.  Kerberos must be utilized and security must be maintained.
3.  User accessibility to files must be limited to only those files
which are readable to them.
4.  Access to all users (but only users) must be allowed preferably
without the need for special accounts.
5.  The interface must format the output in an manner appropriate for
the mobil device being used.  This becomes important for hand-held
devices with very small screens.

Thanks for assisting me.  If we are able to start with an existing
program that has some of the functionality we need, our job will be a
lot easier.

--
Rebecca A. Fahey
ERDC MSRC (formerly CEWES MSRC)
Vicksburg Mississippi
(601) 634-3294