Subject: JavaWorld This Week: Join our Java forum and serve up your images in realtime

From: JavaWorld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 12:10:10

JAVAWORLD THIS WEEK  --- May 09, 2000
JavaWorld is part of ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
http://www.javaworld.com

*********************************************************************
HIGHLIGHTS

* TAKE OUR GUIDED NEWSLETTER TOUR! 
  Navigate the links below using SpotOn, Inc.'s Web Player:
  http://www.spoton.com/TourGuide?tourId=1_1115702&from=1003598
* To download the full SpotOn player, go to:   
  http://www.spoton.com/Partner?id=1000007

* JavaWorld launches Java forum 
* Serve up your images in realtime
* Jeremy Allaire discusses his company's new venture
* Handlers in Web-accessible home automation
* Why we add components to a JFrame's content pane
* Code Master Challenge 6 posted for entry
* 12 MORE New Product briefs this week

********************************************************************* 
ADVERTISEMENT

TREMENDOUS SAVINGS ON SUN EQUIPMENT AT IT AUCTIONS

Save thousands on Sun workstations, servers and storage equipment.
TekSell is ITworld.com's exclusive B2B auction for high-end IT gear.
For Trusted IT Auctions, go to:
http://www.teksell.com/itworld.cfm

*********************************************************************
Dear JavaWorld reader,

Greetings from JavaWorld Alert, your email link to what's new at 
www.javaworld.com.

For the latest tutorials, tips, news, resources, and more, go to:
 
          http://www.javaworld.com

NEW JAVA FORUM CULTIVATES JAVAWORLD COMMUNITY 

JavaWorld and ITworld.com proudly announce the launch of SIX new Java 
discussions that span all levels of programming experience. Expand your 
knowledge and share your own skills at one or all of these Java 
community discussions:

* Java Beginner: Java versus C++ -- which language is more rewarding?
Moderated by Geoff Friesen.
 
  http://forums.itworld.com/webx?14@@.ee6b804/0!skip=

* Java Security: Do the Java Security APIs satisfy your security 
requirements? Moderated by Raghavan Srinivas and Michael Cymerman.

  http://forums.itworld.com/webx?14@@.ee6b80e/0!skip=

* Java in the Enterprise: What's missing from the J2EE? Moderated by 
Qusay Mahmoud and Timothy Rohaly.

  http://forums.itworld.com/webx?14@@.ee6b80a/0!skip=

* Device Programming: Mobile phones, PDAs, pagers -- what kind of 
devices do you want to program for? Moderated by Bill Day. 

  http://forums.itworld.com/webx?14@@.ee6b808/0!skip=

* Programming Theory & Practice: Can you afford -not- to design before 
you code? Moderated by Allen Holub. 

  http://forums.itworld.com/webx?14@@.ee6b806/0!skip=

* XML: XML and databases are a natural combo. Mark Johnson offers tips 
to bring them together fast and easy. Moderated by Mark Johnson.

  http://forums.itworld.com/webx?14@@.ee6b88b.ee6b78f/0!skip=

IN THE SPOTLIGHT...

Typically, charts and graphs are best presented on a Website in 
realtime. Learn how to turn numeric data into dynamic images with Java 
servlets in this week's spotlight story:

  http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-05-2000/jw-0505-servlets.html

ALLAIRE SPEAKS

Allaire Corp. indicates that its next product offering will be a full 
Internet-business platform. CTO and cofounder Jeremy Allaire discusses 
his company's long-term plans with Java, J2EE, and the high-end 
application server market. 

  http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-05-2000/jw-0505-iw-allaire.html

HOW HANDLERS WORK IN WEB-ACCESSIBLE HOME AUTOMATION

What if every device in your home had a URL, and you could script 
applications using HTML that allowed you to change your home's energy 
management or shut down lights, locally or remotely? This month's Java 
Developer column presents a complete example for providing Web-
accessible home automation using X10.

  http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-05-2000/jw-0505-javadev.html 

JFC: WHY DO YOU ACT LIKE THAT?

This week, Java Q&A investigates why we have to add components to a 
JFrame's content pane, instead of adding it directly to the 
frame: "Because that's how you do it!" 

  http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2000-05/01-qa-0505-jfc.html 

NEW CODE MASTERS CHALLENGE 

We just posted Code Master Challenge 6 -- and it awaits your 
participation! This time you are asked to write an application that 
will help spark greater interest in improving Java performance. Get the 
full details here: 

  http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/codemasters/index.html

12 ADDITIONAL NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS

In our New Products section this week: Informix's i.Sell WAP 
personalizes the wireless market; Digi-Net expands DigiChat's 
capabilities; Oracle readies Internet File System for shipment; market 
warms to J2EE; IBM offers JTOpen for download; and more.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-05-2000/jw-0505-newsbriefs.html

Best regards,
The JavaWorld editors

********************************************************************* 
ITWORLD.COM SERVICES 

UNLEASH THE POWER OF OPTICAL NETWORKS-FREE WEBCAST!

Explore the benefits of high-speed optical networks, and learn how you
can implement them to improve your company’s competitive standing.
Webcast takes place May 31 at 3pm EST. Register NOW!
http://www.itworld.com/itwebcast/marconi_mon.html

GOT A JAVA QUESTION? GET A JAVA ANSWER FAST AND FREE!

Over 50K experts are competing to answer your toughest Java questions.
Ask your question now or search millions of IT postings from our
knowledge base. To start participating in our Java Expert Community
at Expert Advice click here:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1239285;4255537;m

*********************************************************************  
CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can subscribe or unsubscribe from any newsletter by 
updating your form at: 
http://www.itworld.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/newsletters/subcontent12.html?

For subscription changes that cannot be handled via the web, 
please send an email to our customer service dept: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************
CONTACTS

* For editorial comments, write Carolyn Wong, Editor-In-Chief, 
JavaWorld at:  [email-masked]
 * For advertising information, write Dan Chupka, Account Executive 
at: [email-masked]
* For all other inquiries, write Jodie Naze, Product Manager,
Newsletters at: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************

JavaWorld is a trademark or registered trademark of 
Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries, and 
is used under license by International Data Group, Inc. All other 
product names and trademarks used in these articles are the 
trademarks of their respective owners. 

Copyright 2000 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 

http://www.itworld.com