Subject: Career Developer '99

From: Java - News <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:58:46 -0700

Career Developer '99
Issue 1, October 1999

Welcome to the premiere issue of Career Developer '99, a free monthly
newsletter available exclusively to Career Central for Java Developers
members. Each monthly issue of Career Developer '99 offers articles and
resources that will inform, assist and motivate you in your career
management endeavors. We invite your comments; it is your feedback that
enables us to better serve your unique career needs. Please send your
comments and suggestions to: [email-masked].

In this issue of Career Developer '99, we are pleased to bring you "Union
Programmers?" by Aaron Fager, "On Jobs at Dot-coms" from WetFeet.com, "What
Do Employers Want from Me? A Top Ten List of Those Traits Employers Value
Most" by Charles W. McConnell, President & CEO, FindCareer.com and, from
Java Developer's Journal, "XML & JAVA: The Why and the How" by Israel
Hilerio. Be sure to check out the list of top-selling Java books from
Fatbrain.com and a special offer for members from tekmetrics.com.

Be sure to check Career Central for Java Developer's Member Resources to
learn about new and interesting resources to assist you in managing your
career. Point your browser to:
http://www.careercentral.com/java/resources.asp

Feel free to pass this newsletter along to any friends or colleagues you
think might find it interesting and useful.

In this issue:
- Union Programmers?
by Aaron Fager, A Programmer's Perspective
- On Jobs at Dot-coms
from WetFeet.com
- What Do Employers Want from Me? A Top Ten List of Those Traits Employers
Value Most
by Charles W. McConnell, President & CEO, FindCareer.com
- XML & JAVA: The Why and the How
by Israel Hilerio, from Java Developer's Journal
- What's New
by the Career Central Staff
  - Success Story of the Month
  - Top selling Java Books from Fatbrain.com
- Benefits of Membership
- Reminders & Announcements

For an online version of this newsletter, please visit:
http://www.careercentral.com/Java/resources/newsletter.asp

**

Union Programmers?
by Aaron Fager, A Programmer's Perspective

The idea is that by unionizing, programmers can protect themselves from
abuse, misuse, and neglect by management. This is coming at a time when
programmers are enjoying a Golden Age, with 2% unemployment and 15% annual
salary increases reported in the trade magazines, and shortages in
programmers leading to better treatment by companies that don't want to lose
their technical edge. Find out more at:
http://www.careercentral.com/Java/resources/JavaNews.asp?Newsletterid=118

**

On Jobs at Dot-coms
from WetFeet.com

As dot-coms change how we do business, a new generation of job seeker is
striking out for the high-tech centers of America in search of stock options
and work cultures that operate on Internet time.

The draw isn't just the money. While Internet start-ups promise options that
will make some of you millionaires (and disappoint more of you), they also
offer challenges that will keep you excited about your work and the
opportunity to help reshape the way the world does business. To learn more,
check out the article at:
http://www.careercentral.com/Java/resources/JavaNews.asp?Newsletterid=119

**

What Do Employers Want from Me? A Top Ten List of Those Traits Employers
Value Most
by Charles W. McConnell, President & CEO, FindCareer.com

A number of studies have been conducted over the past two years in an
attempt to identify key variables in a candidate's presentation that
contribute to their getting in the door for a position interview. The
following list is FindCareer.com has compiled a list of the top ten areas
you should focus on. To find out more, check out the article at:
http://www.careercentral.com/Java/resources/JavaNews.asp?Newsletterid=120

**

XML & JAVA: The Why and the How
by Israel Hilerio, from Java Developer's Journal

Today the technical media talks a great deal about the Java platform and its
importance in creating a ubiquitous Internet execution environment. While
most of us have embraced Java as a cornerstone of the environment, there are
other technologies that are emerging rapidly to smooth out the road to the
computing promised land. XML is one of the technologies that needs to be
taken seriously. Find out more at:
http://www.careercentral.com/Java/resources/JavaNews.asp?Newsletterid=121

**

WHAT'S NEW

Success Story of the Month:

A Career Central member was looking for a position where he could continue
using the Java, C++, JavaBeans, JDBC, Windows NT and JFC skills that he had
been honing over the past few years. In addition, he was looking for the
challenge of managing other developers while putting to use his diverse set
of skills. And, he wanted this job to be in Silicon Valley.

While he received a number of JobCast e-mails from Career Central, he
replied "No" to most of them. That is, until he received a JobCast that was
a perfect opportunity. The position was a Senior Application Developer for
an application service provider located in Redwood City, California, that
specialized in enterprise applications. The company was looking for a
professional with expertise in C++ and Java on a Windows NT platform. They
also needed someone who wanted to manage developers.

Once Career Central made the match, the member replied "Yes" to the JobCast
and sent in a copy of his resume. Because Career Central let him monitor the
job market, he was able to put effort into the job that he was truly
interested in. And the hiring company was able to speak only to candidates
like him who met their unique requirements.

So what happened after the interview? The member is now happily at work for
the company.

About Career Central he says: "I like the fact that this process makes my
life easy because I get notified directly of any openings for my skills."

Top-selling Java Books from Fatbrain.com

Keep up with the latest knowledge in the Java world with the top 10
best-selling books from Fatbrain.com.
http://www.careercentral.com/Java/resources/JavaNews.asp?Newsletterid=125

**

BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP

Special Offer for Career Central for Java Developers Members from
Tekmetrics.Com

Career Central for Java Developers is pleased to announce yet another
benefit of membership. Because of a special arrangement made with
Tekmetrics.com, we can now offer you a 20% discount off an
e-certification(TM) exam through November 1.

Tekmetrics.com is the world's most respected skill certification authority.
With a tekmetrics.com e-certification(TM), professionals are more likely to
be noticed by top employers and can provide employers with an independent
assessment of their qualifications and command a premium for their services.
Industry leaders such as CSC, EDS, Ernst & Young, and PricewaterhouseCoopers
have become proponents of the tekmetrics.com e-certification(TM) and use it
themselves to ensure that they're hiring the best employees.

Tekmetrics.com can e-certify(TM) professionals in over 45 technical and
business disciplines, including C, C++, Delphi, UNIX, NT, Windows 95, HTML,
Visual Basic, Oracle and English. The assessments are delivered over the
Internet using their patent-pending computer adaptive testing engine.
Registered users are able to maintain an online transcript of their
certification, receive a hard copy certificate suitable for framing, and an
e-certified(TM) professional logo that can be placed on their resume.

Find out more on registering for free and taking an assessment at:
http://www.tekmetrics.com/cert/topregisterfast.shtml?vid=careerc

**

REMINDERS & ANNOUNCEMENTS

Your Member Profile is the key to receiving JobCast e-mails alerting you to
the job opportunities that best match your skills, experience and
preferences. Please take a moment to ensure that your Member Profile
contains current contact and work information. Updating is easy and enables
us to provide you with more targeted job leads.

You can update your Member Profile by going to:
http://www.careercentral.com/Java
Please be sure to "Submit" when you're finished.

If you've forgotten your password, please go to:
http://www.careercentral.com/password/Java

If you have any other problems, please see our Frequently Asked Questions
at:
http://www.careercentral.com/Java/faq.asp

**

If you do not wish to receive future issues of Career Developer '99, please
go to:
http://www.careercentral.com/Java/resources/newsletter.asp?ID=138580A

Unless otherwise specified, all articles are Copyright 1999 by Career
Central Corporation.

Permission is granted to members of Career Central for Java Developers to
distribute unaltered complete copies of this newsletter without fee to their
personal and business acquaintances that may be interested in the services
of Career Central for Java Developers. All other rights reserved.

Career Central
P.O. Box 50305
Palo Alto, CA 94303
(888) 946-3822
[email-masked]