Subject: Final Call for Workshop Proposals - SAB/PPSN

From: David Wolfe Corne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:09:51 +0000 (GMT)

(... Apologies: multiple receipts are regrettable, but inevitable ...)

 Brief email proposals to me by 14th January please !

-------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Call for WORKSHOP PROPOSALS

                       in association with:

SAB2000:  6th Int'l Conf. on the Simulation of Adaptive Behavior
PPSN2000: 6th Int'l Conf. on Parallel Problem Solving From Nature

                   College de France, Paris, France
                     Saturday 16th September 2000
-------------------------------------------------------------------

SAB2000 and PPSN2000 are very nearby in time and place in September
2000. SAB will take place at the College de France, Paris, between
September 11th and 15th, with PPSN following between September
18th and 22nd, located a short hop away on the Paris metro. In the
intervening weekend, 16th and 17th, both SAB and PPSN are holding 
Workshops and Tutorials jointly. The workshops will be at the College 
de France, on Saturday 16th.

The idea of the PPSN/SAB joint workshops is to allow the 
opportunity for researchers in emerging areas of common interest 
to meet face to face, present and discuss their latest work and ideas, 
and perhaps push their field forward as a result. In particular, there
are many fascinating areas of intersection between the research topics
covered by PPSN and SAB, and we expect all of the accepted workshop
proposals to be of interest to a substantial proportion of delegates
from both conferences.

Our overall plan is to for about one third of the workshops to be 
clearly 'joint', in the sense of having strong relevance to both
PPSN (natural computation: evolutionary, neural, cellular automata, 
and so forth) and SAB (animats, robotics, perception, communicating
agents, and so on). Another third of the workshops will be more relevant
to PPSN, and the remainder more relevant to SAB.

Proposals can be for half-day or full-day workshops, but note that
limited time and resources are available, so if `full-day' is your 
first thought, please consider carefully whether you could instead
make it into `half-day'.

If you would like to propose a workshop, please do the following:

 (1) Email a brief note to the Workshop Chair, indicating the overall 
  topic of your workshop. This is quite important, partly because there
  are  a small number of pre-arranged workshops in development, and
  partly because we are keen to try to maintain a balance of topics
  in terms of relevance to both PPSN and SAB.

 (2) Prepare a workshop proposal, in the following form, as plain
    text: 
   
    - Name(s), and full affiliations/addresses of the proposer(s).
    - Title of the proposed workshop. 
    - A description of the proposed workshop topic (Max 500 words),
      which might appear in a CFP for it.
    - A description of the proposed format of the workshop itself
      (eg: half day, full day, posters, 15-minute talks, etc...).
    - A realistic estimate of the number of attendees you would
      expect. 
    - Anything else you would like to say (Max 150 words). 

 (3) Email your proposal to the Workshop Chair by no later than 
     Friday January 14th, 2000. 

Attendance at all workshops will be open to all registered delegates 
of either PPSN or SAB. The proposers of accepted workshops will be
expected to provide appropriate materials to the Workshop Chair
for eventual inclusion in a collective workshop pre-proceedings which 
will be distributed in the registration packages for both SAB and PPSN.
This material will include a description of your workshop, short papers
from your speakers (if appropriate), handouts, and so forth. This 
will be in addition to and independent of any other publication
arrangements planned for specific workshops.

The general calendar is below. Note that it provides five and a
half months for the internal organization of accepted workshops.
That is, if your workshop involves its own abstract/paper
submission/review acceptance/final-version timetable, this must
all start with your own CFP ASAP after 11 Feb, and finish with 
final versions of accepted material which can be sent to the
PPSN/SAB Workshops Chair by 28 July.

 Item                                             Deadline

Send me a note about your proposed workshop         ASAP
Email workshop proposal                             Friday 14 Jan
>Notification of accepted workshops                 Friday 4 Feb
Materials for the collective workshop proceedings   Friday 28 July
Workshop                                            Saturday 16 Sep

Relevant Links<

Up-to-date version of this document:
            http://www.cs.reading.ac.uk/cs/research/sabppsn2000 
PPSN2000:   http://www.inria.fr/PPSN2000
SAB2000:    http://www-poleia.lip6.fr/~sab2000

Sponsoring and Supporting Institutions:

 Grateful acknowledgement to: 
   College de France
   EVONET - European Network of Excellence in Evolutionary Computation
   INRIA - French National Institute for Research in Computer Science
           and Control
   ISAB - International Society for Adaptive Behavior
   ISGA - International Society of Genetic Algorithms
   
  PPSN2000 is organized in association with CEC2000 and GECCO2000

We look forward to receiving your proposals!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
David Corne, PPSN/SAB Workshops Chair, 
<a href=mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked],
On behalf of the SAB and PPSN Conference Chairs and Organising Cttees
---------------------------------------------------------------------