Subject: JavaWorld's 1999 Readers' Choice Awards, script JavaBeans, improve GUI performance, and more!

From: JavaWorld <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:37:37

JAVAWORLD THIS WEEK  --- March 21, 2000
JavaWorld is part of ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
http://www.javaworld.com

*********************************************************************
HIGHLIGHTS

* Winners of JavaWorld's 1999 READERS' CHOICE AWARDS are revealed!
* COVER FEATURE: Script JavaBeans with the Bean Scripting Framework
* JAVA TIP 90 helps you accelerate your GUI PERFORMANCE 
* OPTIMIZE YOUR COMPILERS in this week's Performance Pit-Stop
* More NEWSBRIEFS update you on the hottest industry news and products

********************************************************************* 
ADVERTISEMENT

IBM

New on developerWorks - Check out the most recent issue of IBM Systems
Journal focusing on the latest efforts to maximize Java application
performance. Read articles written by engineers from IBM and Sun which
include information about IBM Java platforms, middleware, techniques
for performance analysis and measurement.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1054241;4091022;m

*********************************************************************
Dear JavaWorld reader,

Greetings from JavaWorld Alert, your email link to what's new at 
www.javaworld.com.

For the latest tutorials, tips, news, resources, and more, go to:

  http://www.javaworld.com/?032100txt

AND THE WINNERS OF JAVAWORLD'S 1999 READERS' CHOICE AWARDS ARE... 

It's that time of year when the best and brightest are recognized for
their achievements of the past year. In this spirit, the editors at
JavaWorld asked the true Java experts -- our readers -- to vote on what
they thought were the most important companies and products of 1999. 
Readers enthusiastically accepted the challenge. The ballots are in for
JavaWorld's 1999 Readers' Choice Awards -- find out what was honored 
in categories such as Best Book, Most Innovative Company, and Best 
Virtual Machine. 

For full coverage of JavaWorld's 1999 Readers' Choice Awards, check 
out this feature article:

  http://www.javaworld.com/rcawards99/jw-0320-rca.html?032100txt 

To catch a glimpse of the chosen winners and honorable mentions, 
visit:

  http://www.javaworld.com/rcawards99/jw-winners.html?032100txt 

COVER FEATURE: SCRIPT JAVABEANS WITH THE BEAN SCRIPTING FRAMEWORK 

The Bean Scripting Framework (BSF), from IBM alphaWorks, lets Java 
classes call functions written in several scripting languages. It also
extends those scripting languages, letting them use Java classes and 
Java beans transparently. Learn how to use BSF to add scripts to your
JavaBeans or JavaBeans to your scripts: 

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-beans.html?032100txt 

JAVA TIP 90 HELPS YOU ACCELERATE YOUR GUI PERFORMANCE 

Slow GUIs are one of Java's biggest performance problems. Java Tip 90
shows you how to create GUIs that construct faster by building only 
the necessary parts. Learn this process of "lazy" evaluation at:

  http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip90.html?032100txt

OPTIMIZE YOUR COMPILERS IN THIS WEEK'S PERFORMANCE PIT-STOP 

This week Reggie Hutcherson shows you when compilers can help you 
optimize your code -- and when they can't. Also, get an overview of 
the more common optimizations supported across Java compilers: 
constant folding and dead-code elimination. Got 10 minutes? Then don't 
miss this valuable information:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-javaperf_4.html?032100txt

NEWS AND NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS UPDATE YOU ON THIS WEEK'S JAVA BUZZ

Julie Salzmann delivers 12 informative company announcements and 
product briefs, including: Sun releases JCP 2.0; Slangsoft's Spirus 
supports Java apps; Sybase unveils a new version of its data 
management app; WebScope introduces a secure Web application;
and more! 

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-0317-newsbriefs3.html?032100txt

*********************************************************************
SEND THIS TO A COLLEAGUE

Pass this newsletter along to a friend or colleague, and spread the 
word about JavaWorld, the leading Java online resource.

*********************************************************************
ITWORLD.COM SERVICES 

Intelligent Broadband Networking-A Free Virtual Seminar

A leader in Internet Age Technology is ready to assist you in your
mission to attain a higher-speed data and voice service delivery
model.  Join Marconi for a FREE seminar Intelligent Broadband
Networking for the 21st Century: Connection Oriented switching  
Register today and enter your VIP# MAR-MRO-001 
http://www.itworld.com/itwebcast/marconi_cos.html

Bob Metcalfe tackles IT topics LIVE online—FREE webcast!

You’ve read "From the Ether," now explore Bob Metcalfe's views even
further in a series of FREE webcasts premiering on March 22. The
webcast will feature Bob’s wit and wisdom and allow you to ask Bob
questions—LIVE! Logon with VIP code # MET-MR0-003 at: 
http://www.itworld.com/metcalfe

*********************************************************************  
CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can subscribe or unsubscribe from any newsletter by 
updating your form at: 
http://www.itworld.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/newsletters/subcontent12.html?

For subscription changes that cannot be handled via the web, 
please send an email to our customer service dept: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************
CONTACTS

* For editorial comments, write Carolyn Wong, Editor-In-Chief, 
JavaWorld at:  [email-masked]
 * For advertising information, write Dan Chupka, Account Executive 
at: [email-masked]
* For all other inquiries, write Jodie Naze, Product Manager,
Newsletters at: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************

JavaWorld is a trademark or registered trademark of 
Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries, and 
is used under license by International Data Group, Inc. All other 
product names and trademarks used in these articles are the 
trademarks of their respective owners. 

Copyright 2000 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 

http://www.itworld.com