Subject: philosophical problem (fwd)

From: Fred Dushin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 13:32:34 -0400 (EDT)

--
Fred Dushin                      mailto:[email-masked]
PGP public key available at      http://www.cis.syr.edu/~fadushin/pgp
                                 vi rulw^Hes!`:wq

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Howard A Blair <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 98 13:06:35 EDT
Subject: philosophical problem
To: Fred Dushin <[email-masked]>,
    David W. Jakel <[email-masked]>,
    Angel J. Rivera <[email-masked]>,
    T. Metin Sezgin <[email-masked]>

P & Q = P times Q with our continuous valued logic.
In particular, P & P = P squared.
So, what do continuous truth values mean?  They don't seem to
be probabilistic.  Also, if we choose two other real or complex numbers
c1 and c2 to stand for true and false, we still get a unique way of 
continualizing using our lambda polynomials.  What do the
other complex numbers mean? i.e. what do linear interpolations
of true and false mean? What do the connectives mean? 

Try this approach.  Suppose we right down a formula, like
p --> (q & r), and say it has value 1/3.  Waht are the ways
that p,q,r would have to be interpreted in the world to make
our assertion coorect?