Subject: combining CP and LS

From: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 21:56:41 -0400 (EDT)

Bonjour Gilles,

Comment allez-vous?

(still learning French ... :-)

It was really nice meeting you at the INFORMS conf. It certainly was
a very informative and useful conference and on top of that I made few
friends :) I hope to visit Montreal again at some point this summer and 
when get the chance hope to meet you there at CRT.

I really would love to take a closer look at constraint programming (CP)
and how it can be coupled with probabilistic LS or general LS methods
to tackle scheduling/timetabling problems. I'm familiar with CLP (not CP) 
but really have not investigated using it to deal with those kind of 
problems.

It seems to me the only fruitful approach in dealing with such hard
problems is the multi-phase approach ... I don't believe a single approach
or a method would yield any useful results particularly when dealing with
very large instances or cases of these non-Euclidean, highly-constrained 
problem.

I would like to ask if you have any write-ups on your presentation 
"Combining CP and LS to solve a high school timetabling problem" even
if it is only a draft, would really love to look at it. Also, would like
a copy of your presentation.

If you have them in postscript then an email would be much cheaper and 
easier, otherwise, here is my mailing address:

 Saleh Elmohamed
 111 College Place,
 NPAC,
 Rm 3-217, CST Bldg.
 Syracuse, NY 13244-4100
 USA

Hope to hear from you and keep in touch. Merci.

Best wishes,
Saleh

[email-masked]

---

From: Gilles Pesant 514-343-6111 #8694 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 15:30:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Saleh,

We are still working on what I presented at INFORMS and so we haven't
written it up yet. Once we do, I'll be happy to send you a copy.

Regards,
Gilles