Subject: URGENT: ARL PET Security Review

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:45:54 -0400

[[[ Please read & respond TODAY! ]]]

The branch of ARL that includes the PET program has been ordered to
conduct a security review with respect to access by foreign nationals
to the ARL site or to ARL information.

At the present time, we have been asked simply to identify all
foreign nationals who are working on the ARL PET contract.  Please
complete the information requested below and return it to me as soon
as possible.  If you have an ARL MSRC computer account, please list
the fully qualified domain names of ALL machines there to which you
have access.

If you are unsure as to whether the work you're doing contributes to
ARL PET specifically, ask your project leader.  If they're unsure,
please return the info and include a note to that effect.  We must err
on the side of caution.

It is very important that we take this seriously and be cooperative --
should the Army decide to limit the ability of foreign nationals to
work on these contracts, we'd have real trouble.

Thanks
+++++
Full name: (last, first, MI)
Country of citizenship:
Academic Title (GRA, Research Scientist, etc.):
ARL or ARL MSRC computer hostname:
-----

---

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:25:15 -0400

So far I've received four responses.  If ARL shuts off our funding
over this, a lot more than four of you are going to be pretty unhappy.

I have a general idea who is working on ARL-related projects
(primarily in Tango and IWT groups) but we must make sure this list is
COMPLETE and correct, so it is important that I get a response from
EVERYONE who is (or thinks they might be) involved in ARL-related
work.

I have to turn in the list TOMORROW MORNING, so I don't have time to
track you down one by one and beg you individually to reply, so please
REPLY RIGHT NOW!

Failure to respond could have very serious consequences.

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:45:54 -0400 I wrote:
< [[[ Please read & respond TODAY! ]]]
< 
< The branch of ARL that includes the PET program has been ordered to
< conduct a security review with respect to access by foreign nationals
< to the ARL site or to ARL information.
< 
< At the present time, we have been asked simply to identify all
< foreign nationals who are working on the ARL PET contract.  Please
< complete the information requested below and return it to me as soon
< as possible.  If you have an ARL MSRC computer account, please list
< the fully qualified domain names of ALL machines there to which you
< have access.
< 
< If you are unsure as to whether the work you're doing contributes to
< ARL PET specifically, ask your project leader.  If they're unsure,
< please return the info and include a note to that effect.  We must err
< on the side of caution.
< 
< It is very important that we take this seriously and be cooperative --
< should the Army decide to limit the ability of foreign nationals to
< work on these contracts, we'd have real trouble.
< 
< Thanks
< +++++
< Full name: (last, first, MI)
< Country of citizenship:
< Academic Title (GRA, Research Scientist, etc.):
< ARL or ARL MSRC computer hostname:
< -----