Subject: [Fwd: BOUNCE [email-masked]: Non-member submission from ["Edward A. Bogucz" <[email-masked]>]]

From: Roman Markowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 11:31:49 -0500

-- 
/ Dr. Roman Markowski, IS Manager,   NPAC,  Syracuse University \
| 111 College Place, Syracuse, NY 13244-4100      office  3-187 |
| voice 315-443-3921 fax 315-443-1973 e-mail [email-masked] |
\ homepage:      http://www.npac.syr.edu/users/roman/index.html /

Subject: BOUNCE [email-masked]: Non-member submission from ["Edward A. Bogucz" <[email-masked]>]
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 10:22:57 -0500 (EST)

>From fyi-ra-owner  Sat Nov  6 10:22:55 1999
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 10:22:43 -0500
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: "Edward A. Bogucz" <[email-masked]>
Subject: NPAC, Geoffrey, & SU: past, present, & future
Cc: "Carlos R. P. Hartmann" <[email-masked]>

I was very sad to learn yesterday afternoon that Geoffrey has decided to
accept a faculty position at Florida State University.  As long-time NPAC
project leaders know, I was among the first SU faculty members to
collaborate with NPAC after Geoffrey became its Director in 1990.
Throughout the years before I became interim dean of ECS in 1995, I
contributed actively to a variety of NPAC projects, including the
multiyear Research Experiences for Undergraduates ("REU") summer program
and the "MADIC" project (=Multidisciplinary Analysis and Design
Industrial Consortium).  NPAC and Geoffrey have held key places in my
professional activities and my heart for nearly a decade.

Although I believe that SU would have provided a very fertile environment
for Geoffrey to continue his pursuit of ground-breaking research and
development projects in computational science, I accept his decision that
a move to FSU is right for him at this time.  I most sincerely wish him
the best at FSU, and I hope and expect that we will continue to interact
and collaborate over the many years ahead.  Further, I commit to work 
with Geoffrey, Carlos Hartmann, Ben Ware, and other key individuals 
within ECS and across SU to ensure that Geoffrey's move to FSU is 
accomplished as smoothly as possible for the many individuals it will 
affect. 

I invite and encourage any NPAC researcher, staff member, or student to
contact either Carlos Hartmann or me to explore continuing opportunities
in ECS and across SU.  (Be advised that Carlos and I both will be
saturated over the next several days during a site visit by team from the
national engineering accreditation board.  The visit will be over on
Tuesday afternoon.)  Leadership in computer science and engineering
education and research is a hallmark of SU programs for more than 25
years.  NPAC has been a central contributor to SU's record in this area 
over the last 12 years.  SU and ECS remain committed to pursue and offer
innovative, world-class programs in a broad range of areas that include
activities relevant to most members of the NPAC community.  I encourage
NPAC researchers, staff members, and students to evaluate the
opportunities available at SU as you plan the next phase of
your careers.

Edward A. Bogucz, Jr.
Dean    L.C. Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science
Syracuse University      223 Link Hall      Syracuse, NY 13244
phone: 315 443 4341  fax: 315 443 4936   http://uplink.syr.edu