Subject: Career Opportunities at Carmen Systems

From: Stefan Karisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:00:03 +0100 (MET)

(Apologies if you receive this message more than once.)

Career Opportunities at Carmen Systems

Open positions include:

 o Optimization Experts / Consultants
 o Optimization Developers
 o Real Time Decision Support Expert

Carmen Systems AB is a software developer that specializes in resource
optimization and provides tools to improve the efficiency of the 
transportation industry at large and the airline industry in particular. 
Carmen has been in business for over 13 years. The company has its 
headquarters in Gothenburg (Sweden), and offices in Madrid, Montreal, and 
Stockholm. Carmen's crew scheduling systems are used by major airlines 
such as Lufthansa, British Airways, Air France, SAS, KLM and AeroMexico.

Being in the middle of a serious expansion phase, we need skilled and 
enthusiastic members for our optimization team to join us in Gothenburg 
immediately or within the near future in a new R&D office in North 
America for stimulating challenges. The global competition in our field 
is tough. Optimization is the core of our products, so we can only 
settle for the best. This also applies to the people we employ and the 
performance we expect. 

Our optimization group in Gothenburg is one of the leading European 
centers for applied discrete optimization. In Gothenburg we are 8 Ph.D. 
and a similar number of engineers working on optimization. Most of us 
are non-Swedes. We are also involved in research activities along with 
universities and other companies. Together with our R&D network partners 
in Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France and Greece we are more than 50 
optimization experts.

In a relatively small company, like Carmen, each individual has a great 
deal of responsibility and there are many career possibilities.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Position - Optimization Expert / Consultant

Description of work

You will contribute to the development of existing and new optimization 
tools in existing and future Carmen products. You will talk to customers, 
potential customers and partners about their optimization problems and 
how to use Carmen and other products to solve those problems.

Depending on ability and interest there is also the possibility to 
participate in other activities, such as consultancy and research 
projects.

The main working language is English.

Education: Ph.D. in operations research or a related topic or possibly 
 M.Sc. with at least 3 years of highly relevant industrial experience

Skills: English, spoken and written; Documented superior academic/
 personal achievements; Object oriented analysis and design; Knowledge 
 in C/C++ programming 
                             
Experience: Optimization methods: LP/MIP/Discrete/Combinatorial 
 algorithms; Software development in industry or academia            

Personality: You should be able to work independently; Communicative 
 skills; You should work well in groups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Position - Optimization Developer 

Description of work

You will have the opportunity to participate in all parts of the 
development process of our optimization software from design, to 
implementation, and to maintenance.

Depending on ability and interest there is also the possibility to
participate in other activities, such as customer training and
research projects.

The main working language is English.

Education: M.Sc. or B.Sc. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, 
  Industrial Engineering, Mathematics or related subject; General 
  knowledge of standard optimization methods

Skills: English, spoken and written      

Experience: Object oriented analysis and design; C and C++ programming;
  Algorithm design and implementation     
                
Personality: You should be able to work independently; You should work 
  well in groups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Position - Real Time Decision Support Expert

Description of work

You will contribute to the research project Descartes, funded partially
by the Commission of the European Union. In the project we develop a 
state-of-the-art real time decision support system for an integrated 
solution of the airline operations problem. 

Our partners in the project are British Airways and the Technical 
University of Denmark. You will play a key role in designing and 
implementing this system based on case based reasoning.

The main working language is English.

Education: Ph.D. in artificial intelligence or a related topic

Skills: English, spoken and written; Documented superior academic/
 personal achievements; Object oriented analysis and design; Knowledge 
 in C/C++ and/or Java programming

Experience: In depth knowledge and experience in machine learning; AI 
 based real-time decision support; Integration of Java and C++

Personality: You should be able to work independently; Communicative
 skills; You should work well in groups

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Persons not meeting these particular requirements are welcome to apply 
anyway since we are constantly in need of highly talented employees. 
Also note that a number of positions are announced on our WWW-page. In 
particular the positions in Carmen's Operation Division could be 
interesting for persons with an OR-background.

For contacting Carmen use:

 Email: [email-masked]                     
 Snail: Carmen Systems AB, Odinsgatan 9, SE-411 03 Gothenburg, Sweden

More information on Carmen Systems AB can be found on our homepage:

 http://www.carmen.se

Best regards,

 Stefan E. Karisch
 Carmen Systems AB