Subject: CFP-special issue

From: Vladimir Getov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:08:26 +0100 (BST)

#######################################################################
#                                                                     #
#                  Future Generation Computer Systems	              #
#                                                                     #
#                         Call for Papers                             #
#                   A Special Issue Focusing on                       #
#               Java in High Performance Computing                    #
#                                                                     #
#                  Guest Editor: Vladimir Getov                       #
#                     [email-masked]                            #
#                                                                     #
#######################################################################

1. Introduction/motivation.

This Special Issue of the Future Generation Computer Systems (FGCS)
journal will focus on the use of the Java programming language in the 
area of high-performance computing, including engineering and scientific
applications of Java, simulations, distributed resource management,
on-line analytical processing and data-intensive applications, and
other emerging research topics that combine distributed object
technology with networking. Although Java was not specifically 
designed for the computationally intensive numeric applications that 
are the typical fodder of supercomputers, its widespread popularity 
and portability make it an interesting candidate for high-performance 
computing;  however, many open research questions remain regarding 
the viability of high performance Java-enabled environments. These 
encompass topics ranging from compiler/runtime optimizations to the 
language design to interfacing with legacy libraries.

Papers are solicited for this Special Issue of the FGCS Journal.
The purpose of this special issue is to focus on the fast-paced
developments, experiences and research supporting high-performance
execution of Java codes for computation-intensive applications.

2. Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

o Java computing frameworks and collaborative environments
o Java with legacy libraries in C and/or Fortran
o Java compiling techniques and optimizations
o Java/CORBA integration for network computing
o Java based seamless computing
o Translations from C/C++/Fortran to Java
o Java Grande applications and scalability issues
o Java tools for high performance computing
o JVM design and implementation

     Schedule:
    --------------------------------------------------
    | Submission deadline: August 31, 1999
    | Notification of Acceptance:  November 30, 1999
    | Target publication month: April, 2000
    --------------------------------------------------

Authors should follow the Information for Authors as found at:

http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/future

An electronic copy of the manuscript, in Postscript format and viewable 
with ghostview, should be submitted via electronic mail to the guest 
editor by August 31, 1999. Submissions should include authors names, 
affiliations, addresses, fax and phone numbers, email addresses, on the 
cover page. Only original manuscripts will be considered. All papers 
will undergo a peer review  process. Authors will be notified of the 
final publication decision by November 30, 1999.