Subject: excerpt from math forum newsletter

From: Nancy McCracken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:06:10 -0500

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:15:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Sarah Seastone <[email-masked]>

            THE EFFECTS OF MOORE'S LAW AND SLACKING
                    ON LARGE COMPUTATIONS

    http://agave.as.arizona.edu/~chrisg/mooreslaw/Paper.html

  A tongue-in-cheek paper in which the authors show that, in 
  the context of Moore's Law, overall productivity can be 
  increased for large enough computations by 'slacking', or 
  waiting for some period of time before purchasing a computer 
  and beginning the calculation. 

  According to Moore's Law, the computational power available 
  at a particular price doubles every 18 months. Therefore it 
  is conceivable that for sufficiently large numerical 
  calculations and fixed budgets, computing power will improve 
  quickly enough that the calculation will finish faster if
  one waits until the available computing power is sufficiently 
  better and starts the calculation then. 

  A paper by Chris Gottbrath, Jeremy Bailin, Casey Meakin,
  Todd Thompson, J.J. Charfman; Steward Observatory, the 
  University of Arizona. 

- -|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-\-/-|-  

                      CHECK OUT OUR WEB SITE:

      The Math Forum  http://forum.swarthmore.edu/
        Ask Dr. Math  http://forum.swarthmore.edu/dr.math/
Problems of the Week  http://forum.swarthmore.edu/pow/
 Mathematics Library  http://forum.swarthmore.edu/library/
     Teacher2Teacher  http://forum.swarthmore.edu/t2t/ 
   Discussion Groups  http://forum.swarthmore.edu/discussions/
 Join the Math Forum  http://forum.swarthmore.edu/join.forum.html

    SEND COMMENTS TO  [email-masked]

   _o    \o_       __|    \ /     |__        o _   o/  \o/
  __|- __/   \__/o   \o    |    o/    o/__/  /\   /|    |
     \   \   /  \    / \  /o\  / \    /   \  / |  / \  / \

              The Math Forum ** 21 February 2000

         An archive of all the Math Forum newsletters
        and directions for subscribing can be found at
      http://forum.swarthmore.edu/electronic.newsletter/                

------- End of Forwarded Message