Subject: Research job in Optimisation

From: Andy Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:44:13 +0100 (BST)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Up to £30,000 & benefits - Malvern, Worcs, UK.

As the largest scientific and technical organisation of its kind in 
Europe, DERA, the Defence and Evaluation and Research Agency, provides 
world-class engineering solutions and a broad range of technical services 
to the MoD and industrial partners around the world.

Within DERA, the Pattern and Information Processing Group investigates 
the advanced technologies from the perspective of both leading-edge 
research and existing practical applications. In essence our role is 
to initiate, develop and promote new techniques that facilitate effective 
understanding and interpretation of data and subsequently enhance 
decision-making. Techniques currently under investigation: novel 
self-organising networks; statistical pattern recognition techniques;
information fusion algorithms; tracking; classification; Bayesian 
inference; neural networks; decision-making; and heuristic-based
optimisation techniques, such as local search, simulated annealing, 
tabu search and genetic algorithms.

This is a challenging environment where intellectually demanding 
assignments. colleagues of an exceptionally high calibre and a wide 
project nase add up to uniquely rewarding opportunities.

We are currently recruiting scientists with varying levels of expertise 
to develop robust heuristic based solutions to dynamic and uncertain 
optimisation problems. as well as principled approaches to the design
and implementation of new techniques in this field. As part of this team, 
you can expect to apply a wide range of techniques to complex real-world   
applications covering logistics, resourcing and communications.

In all cases we want people who can not only deliver consistent results
in top-class research, but will also relish the prospect of presenting 
their findings to the scientific, academic and industrial communities. 
You must have a good first degree in a subject with a substantial 
mathematical element - an MSc or PhD is likely for the senior positions 
- while computing/programming skills would prove useful. A high level 
of self-motivation, honesty and integrity, and the ability to interact 
effectively with contacts within and beyond DERA are key attributes.

In return we offer outstanding training and support to take further 
academic qualifications. along with excellent opportunities for 
long-term career development and diversification. There may also be 
the possibility of overseas secondment. We offer first-class rewards 
packages which include non-contributory pension scheme and generous 
holidays. These positions are offered on a permanent basis and 
relocation assistance may be avaliable.

DERA welcomes applications from suitably qualified people regardless 
of sex, marital status, race or disbility.

For an application form, please contact, quoting reference 203, 
Julie Perry, Sensors and Processing Personnel, Room D305, DERA 
Malvern, St. Andrews Road, Malvern, Worces WR14 3PS, UK. 
Tel: +44 (0)1684 895317. 

Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 30th July 1999.

---------------------------------------------------------------------