Subject: mpiJava from NPAC

From: Mark Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 98 20:16:24 +0000

Dear all,

A discussion started a week or two back about the various message passing methodologies 
that could currently be used with Java for parallel and distributed applications.

I'd like to draw your attention to the work that we've been doing at NPAC to design, 
develop and implement an object-based Java interface to MPI. Our mpiJava API is 
modelled as closely as practical on the C++ binding defined in the MPI 2.0 standard 
(currently we only support the MPI 1.1 subset). 

We have successfully built and run mpiJava on a number of platforms and MPI environments, 
including Solaris/MPICH, IRIX/MPICH, NT/WMPI. 

I have set up some Web pages at http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/pcrc/mpiJava/
where you can find out further details about the interface. We intend to actually
release the software officially early next week when we've had a chance to complete
the release documentation.

We would welcome feedback from the community as to the pros and cons of our Java interface
to MPI.

Mark

-------------------------------------
Dr Mark Baker
CSM, University of Portsmouth, Hants, UK
Tel: +44 1705 844285	Fax: +44 1705 844006
E-mail: [email-masked]
Date: 08/05/98 - Time: 20:16:24
URL http://www.dcs.port.ac.uk/~mab/
-------------------------------------