Subject: NPAC Transition Plan

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 16:28:12 -0500

Hello,

After he announced his plans to move to Florida State, Geoffrey asked
me to help him formulate and oversee a "transition plan" to insure
that the move is handled as smoothly as possible both for all NPACers
and for our sponsors.

We have spent many hours trying to assess how best to meet our
sponsors' needs and how best to accomodate the choices people will be
making to stay, to move to Florida, or to do something completely
different.  I'm sorry that time does not permit me to sit down and
talk with each of you individually about the plan, but as we're
already well into January, I thought it better to get this out.

Most of you will not see a tremendous change in what you're working
on.  Though we do expect to curtail some of the more "speculative"
projects (those not directly assosicated with contract deliverables)
until we see how things are going.  However many of you will see some
change in who you're reporting to.  In order to insure that everything
stays "on the rails" during this critical time, Geoffrey and I will be
more directly involved in oversight of the work.  The Project Leaders
you've reported to in the past will be acting in a consultative
capacity on these projects, but it is important that you are
ultimately responsible to the _new_ Project Lead and should keep them
informed of your progress.

We've classified work in NPAC in to several large "projects" so that
we can keep things straight.  Within that we've tried to assign people
to specific tasks.  Note that most people are at this moment asigned
to a specific project for their full available time, but some are on
several projects.  Probably these assignments will be refined over
time, but for now please use them as guidance on what you should be
working on.

If you have any questions, please contact me or Geoffrey.

-------------------
EDUCATIONAL APPLETS		PROJECT LEAD: Geoffrey Fox
-------------------

Yuhong Wen	Jan-Mar	 50%	PetaSim examples
Dongmin	Kim		100%	VNC, CFD applet, applet testing
Norka Lucena		100%	Quizmaker, RaiseHand, add'l edu applets
Jin Jianxiang		 50%	SV2
Saleh Elmohammed	min	CFD applet

Notes:

Larry Jackson, NCSA, Habanero/ISAAC project has modified "scalable" VNC
Zhang (lead) + Kim should test & evaluate Cornell, Physics applets in VNC
What is possible for "asynchronous" quizzes?  Does applet know answers?
--
David E. Bernholdt                      | Email:  [email-masked]
Northeast Parallel Architectures Center | Phone:  +1 315 443 3857
111 College Place, Syracuse University  | Fax:    +1 315 443 1973
Syracuse, NY 13244-4100                 | URL:    http://www.npac.syr.edu

---

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 16:55:51 -0500

I did notify Roman.  Its up to you and Dongmin to work with him to 
make sure it happens.  As a backup, you can ask the Tango group to
spend a few minutes on line with you to help test things.  That should
get you to ~ a dozen clients or so.
David
--
David E. Bernholdt                      | Email:  [email-masked]
Northeast Parallel Architectures Center | Phone:  +1 315 443 3857
111 College Place, Syracuse University  | Fax:    +1 315 443 1973
Syracuse, NY 13244-4100                 | URL:    http://www.npac.syr.edu