Subject: JW August issue features Bean Markup Language cover story; Drag&Drop, Part 2; and JavaOne Palm Vs

From: [email-masked] (JavaWorld Editor-in-Chief)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 99 02:42:31 EST

J A V A W O R L D   A L E R T
                   JavaWorld -- Fueling Innovation!

             Get the Java TIPS, TOOLS, and TECHNOLOGIES at
                  http://www.javaworld.com?072199txt

=========================================================================

HIGHLIGHTS -- July 21, 1999

* Beans expert Mark Johnson examines alphaWorks' Bean Markup Language
* Learn how to drag and drop data beyond text with Gene De Lisa
* JAVA TIP 75 explains how to use top-level nested classes
* Chuck McManis waxes nostalgic for JavaOne's Palm V experience
* 29 NEWS & NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS keep you up to date on Java developments
* Want the chance to BE A JW AUTHOR? -- Send in your Java tips & tricks

=========================================================================

Dear JavaWorld reader,

JavaWorld's August issue is now available! This month's issue features
a look at alphaWorks' Bean Markup Language, Part 2 of Gene De Lisa's
Java 2 drag-and-drop tutorial, an examination of top-level nested
classes, Chuck McManis's fond remembrance of JavaOne and the Palm V, a new
batch of News and New Product Briefs, and information on how you can
become a Java Tip author. For these stores and more, go to:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-toc.html?072199txt

JAVA BEANS: EXPLORE THE BEAN MARKUP LANGUAGE WITH MARK JOHNSON

In his "Bean Markup Language, Part 1," article, JavaBeans columnist Mark
Johnson begins an examination of the Bean Markup Language (BML), a freely
available commercial package from IBM alphaWorks similar to Mark's own XML
JavaBeans package. But BML goes far beyond XML JavaBeans' abilities. Mark
explains BML's features and capabilities, leaving experimentation to you.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-beans.html?072199txt

LEARN HOW TO DRAG AND DROP DATA BEYOND TEXT WITH GENE DE LISA

In a follow-up to his March 1999 article, Gene De Lisa returns to
JavaWorld with his new "How to drag and drop with Java 2, Part 2." In part
2, Gene completes his in-depth examination of how developers can
incorporate drag-and-drop features into their Java applications.
Furthermore, Gene moves beyond mere text data, into how to drag and drop
other data types.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-draganddrop.html?072199txt

JAVA TIP 75 EXPLAINS HOW, WHEN TO USE TOP-LEVEL NESTED CLASSES

"Java Tip 75: Use nested classes for better organization," by Ramnivas
Laddad delves into how effectively to use top-level nested classes, and
how they can aid organization, use, and maintenance. Ramnivas also
includes a simple test to determine when top-level nested classes are
appropriate.

  http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip75.html?072199txt

CHUCK MCMANIS RECOUNTS EVENTS, EMOTIONS FROM JAVAONE'S PALM V FRENZY

JavaWorld's August issue also features Chuck McManis's look at the JavaOne
Palm V frenzy. In "The Palm V meets J2ME," Chuck weaves his show
experiences with details on the recently announced Java 2 Micro Edition.
Chuck's good humor shines through in this article, especially as he tries
to figure out a practical use for a Java-enabled Palm V.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-palmv.html?072199txt

KEEP CURRENT ON JAVA-RELATED DEVELOPMENTS WITH JW NEWS & NEW PRODUCT
BRIEFS

Kane Scarlett delivers the goods on new Java development and company
news, with 29 NEWS AND NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS. Here's a taste of what
you'll find: So what's new in the JDK 1.2.2?; Last Swing backport for JDK
1.1 announced; Apple releases early access of MRJ 2.2 SDK and installer;
Chinese government launches Java Card resource center; KVM forms the core
of Micro Java;  JumpStart kit gets down to the EJBs, quick; AppStream
speeds applet downloads; and e-Vantage 2.2 data-access server adds Java
clients.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-newsbriefs.html?072199txt

WANT TO BE A JW AUTHOR? SEND IN YOUR JAVA TIPS 'N TRICKS TODAY!

Do you have a helpful tip or trick that eases your Java programming
efforts? We would like to pass on your Java tips to the rest of the
Java world!  Just write up your coolest tips and tricks, and send them
to:

  [email-masked]

For the index of new and previous Java Tips, see:

  http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatips.index.html?072199txt

Thanks for reading JavaWorld!

      SPREAD THE WORD! Send this e-mail to a friend, and spread
   the word about Java -- and JavaWorld, the leading Java magazine!
                    More than 200,000 readers

                 JavaWorld -- Fueling Innovation!
                     http://www.javaworld.com?072199txt

      JavaWorld is part of IDG.net, the IDG Online Network.
      IT All Starts Here: http://www.idg.net

***************************READER SERVICES********************************

Free Standard Shipping at the JavaWorld Bookstore

Now until August 6th, Fatbrain.com offers free standard shipping on all
orders placed through the JavaWorld Bookstore. Just enter fatbrainjw in
the
referral code field on the checkout page to receive your discount. All
titles in the bookstore are kept in stock and are available for same day
shipping!

  http://www1.fatbrain.com/partners/javaworld/home.asp?from=jworld

***************************** ADVERTISEMENT ******************************

BOOST YOUR JAVA CODE PERFORMANCE & RELIABILITY
with NuMega DevPartner for Java!

DevPartner for Java complements your existing development environment with
powerful, multi-VM tools that can dramatically reduce your debugging
downtime, and ensure optimum performance and test coverage. DevPartner for
Java delivers:

-- Complete top-to-bottom performance profiling
-- Multithread runtime analysis and error detection
-- Code coverage and stability measurement
-- Powerful VM-switching on the fly

To learn more or to request a FREE 14-day full software evaluation CD,
visit

  http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198933;2814936;v

***************************** ADVERTISEMENT ******************************

Free Software & Services for Building E-Business Applications

CST has launched a contest to demonstrate how easy it is to use
Jacada Connects to deliver e-business solutions. Jacada Connects enables
the integration of any mainframe or AS/400 application with any Java
application.

If you are a systems integrator or solutions provider, you are qualified
to receive free Jacada Connects software and services. For registration
and more information, go to:

  http://www.cst.com/Cancun/win2

**************************************************************************

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To stop receiving such messages, send email to [email-masked]
with a subject field of:

UNSUB javaworld [email-masked] jw1719

Questions? Email [email-masked]

Distribution, database maintenance and response management
by The Email Channel, Inc. For more information, send e-mail 
to [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------