Subject: EPSRC-funded posts at the University of Nottingham

From: Peter Cowling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:40:00 +0000

The posts
=== =====

3 EPSRC-funded positions are offered within the prestigious
Automated Scheduling, Optimisation and Planning (ASAP)
research group within the School of Computer Science and 
IT at the University of Nottingham, 

- One research assistantship and one PhD studentship on the
EPSRC-funded project: "A Case Based Approach to Heuristic 
Selection for Timetabling"
- One PhD studentship on a project co-funded by EPSRC and
Dash Associates Ltd: "Using Real Time Information for 
Effective Dynamic Scheduling"

All posts are of three years duration.

The projects
=== ========

"A Case Based Approach to Heuristic Selection for Timetabling"

The project will involve work at the cutting edge of heuristic
research in the developing field of hyperheuristics, where
Artificial Intelligence approaches are use to find the
*method* for solving the problem (instead of simply finding a
*solution*).

The Research Assistant and Student will develop a range of novel
heuristics, using techniques such as Genetic Algorithms, Ant
Colony Optimisation, Local Search etc. and then develop 
hyperheuristic approaches based on the Knowledge-capture ideas
of Case-Based Reasoning.

"Using Real Time Information for Effective Dynamic Scheduling"

This project is in collaboration with Dash Associates Limited,
and will consider how the weath of real-time information made
available by current and future technological advances, 
may be used in the dynamic problems which occur in the scheduling 
of manufacturing processes and personnel.

The PhD student will develop new models, algorithms and heuristics
for dynamic problems based upon mathematical programming and local
search techniques, including metaheuristics such as Genetic Algorithms
and Tabu Search. The student will have the opportunity to spend
an extended period of time at prestigious UK optimisation software
developer Dash Associates limited.

The ASAP research group
=== ==== ======== =====

Research will take place within the lively and supportive
Automated Scheduling, Optimisation and Planning (ASAP) 
research group, which currently has 4 permanent members of 
staff, 2 Research Assistants and 5 full time PhD students.

Applicants should send a CV and/or request further information,
stating clearly which post is of interest, to:

Dr. Sanja Petrovic
e-mail: [email-masked]
phone: 0115 9514222

-- 
Dr. Peter Cowling
School of Computer Science and IT
Room C78
Jubilee Campus
Nottingham NG8 1BB
UK
tel:   (0115) 9514215
fax:   (0115) 9514254
email: [email-masked]