Subject: Java, JavaScript, CD-ROMs

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:47:04 -0400

One of the banes of putting web-based material on CD-ROM is insuring
that the filenames are consistent and correct (case, special
characters, etc.).  In principle this can be checked mechanically for
standard HTML.  Java and Javascript are much harder.  Perhaps someone
who is more familiar with these two languages can answer the following
question...

Would it be possible, without modification to an applet (perhaps even
on one for which you don't have source) to interpose your own I/O
classes which would do some kind of checking/translation of filenames,
then hand off to the real I/O routines to do the work?

I'm thinking, for example, of an applet which might be hard-coded to
access a file "Stuff.dat" (programming style is a separate issue I
won't argue here), which lives on the CD-ROM as "stuff.dat" because
ISO 9660 filesystems are single case.

Thanks for any comments.
--
David E. Bernholdt                      | Email:  [email-masked]
Northeast Parallel Architectures Center | Phone:  +1 315 443 3857
111 College Place, Syracuse University  | Fax:    +1 315 443 1973
Syracuse, NY 13244-4100                 | URL:    http://www.npac.syr.edu