Subject: Tabu Search book - new printing

From: Glover Fred <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:05:03 -0600 (MDT)

The "Second Printing" of the book Tabu Search, described below,
clarifies diagrams and text where appropriate, removes typos, 
updates the references, and provides an improved Index.

As noted, it also includes a new Paperback version. 

(Apologies if you get this message more than once from duplications 
in distribution list memberships.) 

=====================================================================
                  NOW IN ITS SECOND PRINTING!!!
     
            (AVAILABLE IN BOTH HARDCOVER AND PAPERBACK)

                          TABU SEARCH
     
                 By Fred Glover and Manuel Laguna
                  University of Colorado, Boulder
     
Hardcover      ISBN 0-7923-9965-X   402 pp.,cloth 
Paperback:     ISBN 0-7923-8187-4   402 pp, paperbound
     
(Price information and order form appear below.)

This book explores the meta-heuristic approach called tabu search,
which is dramatically changing our ability to solve a host of problems
that extend over the realms of resource planning, telecommunications,
VLSI design, financial analysis, scheduling, space planning, energy
distribution, molecular engineering, logistics, pattern
classification, flexible manufacturing, waste management, mineral
exploration, biomedical analysis, environmental conservation and
scores of other areas.  

Tabu search is founded on special strategies for exploiting memory,
and also has important links to evolutionary  methods through its
intimate connection with scatter search and path relinking--
evolutionary procedures that have recently attracted attention for
their ability to facilitate the solution of complex problems.  The
adaptive memory designs of tabu search have also provided useful
alternatives and supplements to the types of memory embodied in neural
networks, allowing enhancements of neural network processes in
practical settings.  Hybrid procedures incorporating tabu search are
similarly being used to provide enhancements of other types of
processes for learning and problem solving.

The major ideas of tabu search are presented with examples that show
their relevance to multiple applications.  Numerous illustrations and
diagrams are used to clarify principles that deserve emphasis, and
that have not always been well understood or applied.  The book's goal
is to provide "hands-on" knowledge and insight alike, rather than to
focus exclusively either on computational recipes or on abstract
themes. 

Tabu Search is designed to be useful and accessible to researchers and
practitioners in management science, industrial engineering,
economics, and computer science.  It can be used as a textbook in a
masters course or in a doctoral seminar.  Because of its emphasis on
presenting ideas through illustrations and diagrams, and on
identifying associated practical applications, it can also be used as
a supplementary text in upper division undergraduate courses.

The book's goal is to provide a grounding in the essential ideas of
tabu search that will allow readers to create successful applications
of their own.  Along with the essential ideas, Tabu Search also
provides an understanding of advanced issues, enabling researchers to
go beyond today's developments and create the methods of tomorrow. 

Contents:  Preface. 1. Tabu Search Background.  2. TS Foundations:
Short Term Memory.  3. TS Foundations:  Longer Term Memory.  5.  Tabu
Search Principles.  6. Tabu Search in Integer Programming.  7. Special
Tabu Search Topics.  8.  Tabu Search Applications.  9. Connections,
Hybrid Approaches and Learning.  10. Neglected Tabu Search Strategies.
References.  Index.

Hardcover: USD $140.00       Paperback: USD $79.95

Use of the paperbound version for classroom adoptions is encouraged.
     
To order, you can use the following form.

----------------------------- cut here------------------------------

Tabu Search
By Fred Glover and Manuel Laguna
     
Hardcover:  ISBN: 0-7923-9965-X
Paperback:  ISBN: 0-7923-8187-4
     
To order, either fill in this form on-line and submit electronically 
or print it out and mail or FAX it to Kluwer's customer service:

 Kluwer Academic Publishers
 Order Department
 P. O. Box 358
 Accord Station
 Hingham, MA 02018-0358

 Fax: (617) 871-6528
 Tel: (617) 871-6600
 Email: [email-masked]

If you have any questions, feel free to call or mail Kluwer Academic
Publishers Customer Service.

Orders accompanied by payment or authorization to charge a credit card
account will ensure prompt delivery.  There is a $4.00 postage and
handling charge on all such orders, delivered by surface mail.  Orders
from outside USA will be sent by airmail, for which the customer will
be charged extra.

Invoice Address

Title:
First Name:
Surname:
Company/Inst:
Department:
Address:
Address:
City:
State, Province, or Region:
Zip/Postal Code:
Country:

Telephone:
Fax:
E-mail:

EC VAT Country:
VAT Number:

Delivery Address
(fill in only if different from the above Invoice Address)

Title:
First Name:
Surname:
Company/Inst:
Department:
Address:
Address:
City:
State, Province, or Region:
Zip/Postal Code:
Country:

Telephone:
Fax:
E-mail:

EC VAT Country:
VAT Number:

Order Date (mm/dd/yy):

Select one of the following by marking with an X. 
Send invoice first _______
Charge Credit Card ______
(customers in the Americas: please note that publications will be
shipped upon receipt of payment).

Credit Card Company:
Credit Card Nr. (no spaces):
Credit Card Expiry Date (mm/dd/yy):

Type of Shipment:
     
Authors:  Fred Glover & Manuel Laguna 
Title:    Tabu Search
     
Number of copies of Hardcover (ISBN: 0-7923-9965-X)
                               at USD $140.00 each: _______
     
Number of copies of Paperback (ISBN: 0-7923-8187-4)
                               at USD $ 79.95 each: _______
Shipment reference: