Subject: jdk 1.2 is out

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 00:10:26 -0600

It's Saturday night (early Sunday morning), do you know where your
latest JDK is?

Check javasoft.com.

Enjoy,
George

---

From: "Thomas Maslen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 18:30:04 +1000

> It's Saturday night (early Sunday morning), do you know where your

Right.  That's

      -	Final version of Production JDK 1.2 for Windows 95/98/NT 4.0

and

      -	Final version of Reference  JDK 1.2 for Solaris 2.5, 2.5.1, 2.6

A few hours after that came out, the other part of Sun released the latest
version of the production JDK 1.2 for Solaris 2.x, i.e. the version that
should have higher performance on Solaris 2.x than the reference version.  
It isn't the Final version yet, but it's

      -	Beta  version of Production JDK 1.2 for Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, 2.7

(the previous version was Early Access 4).  The www.javasoft.com web pages 
still refer to older versions of this;  for the new version, see

		http://www.sun.com/solaris/java/

Thomas Maslen
[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert McGrath" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 13:07:25 -0600

So when will 1.2 be available for the rest of the world, such
as Linux, Irix, HPUX, etc.?  (Write once, run everywhere--but
maybe 6 months later....)

-- 
Robert E. McGrath  (HDF Java Team Leader)
National Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Champaign, Illinois 61820
(217)-333-6549

[email-masked]

---

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 16:35:54 -0600

I can't speak for Sun or blackdown.org, but generally in recent times
the JDK release has come quickly for Linux.

---

From: George Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 20:36:25 -0600 (CST)

Sun has stated that they are commited to Linux:

http://www.javasoft.com/pr/1998/11/pr981102-01.html

George

---

From: Hon W Yau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 12:05:17 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

Regarding the JDK1.2 release, a colleague of mines has found a reference
in:
  http://slashdot.org/articles/98/12/06/1720245.shtml

to a clause in the JDK1.2 license agreement stating:

  2.  RESTRICTIONS Software is confidential and copyrighted. Title to
<...deleted...>
  You may not publish or provide the results of any benchmark or
  comparison tests run on Software to any third party without the prior
  written consent of Sun.
<...deleted...>

which I have just cut 'n pasted from the Win32 Production Release
license agreement; the one for Solaris was referred to as "Early Access"
and contained no such message.  On the face of it, this seems a rather
draconian restriction.  Does anyone know if this affects the JavaGrande
effort?

<...deleted...>

		Cheers,
			-Hon.

==========================================================================
 Dr Hon W Yau                                 E-mail: [email-masked]
 Applications Consultant                      Phone:  +44 131 650 5957
 EPCC, University of Edinburgh, UK            Fax:    +44 131 650 6555
================ http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~hwyau/bio.html ================

---

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 10:33:49 -0600

Hey George,

I, too, saw this announcement awhile back, but from reading the article I
am still trying to figure out the word "commitment" as it applies to Linux.
For one thing, the article does not mention whether Sun will truly make
Linux an "official" port. It seems like they are fully committed to Win32
and Solaris, based on the JDK 1.2 release, but I guess only time will tell.
I'm a big Solaris fan, but I besides Win32 I cannot think of a platform
with more potential Java users than Linux.

I've always been on record as an advocate of much better quality control
for the Java ports, especially after working with some really bad vendor
ports (mostly on Unix platforms I won't name publicly). For awhile, there
was this "porting center," which must be a stillborn child, because I have
never seen a reference to it on any Sun pages since it was mentioned. This
center was to be a consortium that included Sun, Netscape, and IBM (and
others, too). Does anyone out there know whether this idea lives?

Anyway, I think blackdown.org is generally doing a commendable job trying
to keep up with Sun. I'm still awaiting Java 1.2 for Linux, which is my
primary development platform, followed by Win NT.

George