Subject: LOCAL SEARCH TALK: Leeds Univ, UK @ 3pm on Dec 15th 1999.

From: Andrew Tuson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:45:15 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

The details of the next OR Society Local Search Study Group meeting are
given below.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Andrew Tuson MA(Oxon) MSc(Edin) GRSC - Email: [email-masked]

Lecturer, Department of Computing, City University, London, UK.

****************

OR Society Local Search Study Group Meeting

Time:	3pm, December 15, 1999

Venue:	Active Learning Centre, School of Computer Studies,
	University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT

Title: 	Local search heuristics for routing problems arising in Printed
	Circuit Board assembly

Authors: E. K. Burke, P. I. Cowling, R. Keuthen

Affilation: School of Computer Science and IT, University of Nottingham

ABSTRACT

The fast-paced development of new manufacturing technologies within
Printed Circuit Board (PCB) assembly has given rise to a new generation of
large, difficult routing problems. In the first part of our talk, we
present a survey of some of the new technologies used in PCB assembly
together with appropriate modelling and heuristic solution approaches.

In the second part of our talk, we discuss how the heuristics developed
for PCB assembly have inspired us to consider heuristics which embed one
local search approach within another, and integrating with Variable
Neighbourhood Search to provide a powerful hybrid heuristic for the
Travelling Salesman Problem.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The event is open to everyone and is free.  If you are interested in
coming, please contact Raymond Kwan ([email-masked], or at the
address above) so that we can cater for the tea and coffee and that
directions to the Active Learning Centre can be sent to you.