Subject: Monday's class

From: Nancy McCracken <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:23:08 -0500

Monday's class appeared to go fine.  I covered the rest of the MPI slides
with cartesian topologies and defined types with the sketch of the Jacobi
algorithm in C.  I also showed some of Saleh's example using a 2d grid
to demonstrate the operations.  I just copied Saleh's stuff from last
time into the presentations-html directory.  I didn't cover any of the
wave equation examples but I left them there on the page for students
to see.

I didn't uncover a useful nbody program.  In Gropp, they sketch the
naive version and the pipeline version, but I thought that the
description was not very detailed.  They refer to finished programs,
but as Saleh already discovered, those examples appear to have been
removed from the web.  There is a program called nbody.c loaded into
the VPL that says it's a pipeline version, modified by Saleh, but I
couldn't understand the code.  Is it really all there?

Several students, including Vince, who we know has been working hard
on the homework, say that they need more time for the current homework.
There's just so many MPI runs required.  They ask for extension, but
maybe it would be better to cut back on the amount of work required?
Assuming that they worked on it in order, would it hurt if we cut
out the last question, part 4, or is it a crucial one?

Nancy