Subject: JW August issue features Jini theory, OO Swing crusade, JavaOne

From: [email-masked] (JavaWorld Editor-in-Chief)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 99 00:02:49 EST

observations, and more!

                    J A V A W O R L D   A L E R T
                   JavaWorld -- Fueling Innovation!

             Get the Java TIPS, TOOLS, and TECHNOLOGIES at
                  http://www.javaworld.com?072799txt

=========================================================================

HIGHLIGHTS -- July 27, 1999

* August JINIOLOGY article explains theory behind Jini
* Allen Holub continues OO crusade with criticism of new Swing XML class
* COOL TOOLS' Thomas Davis presents an array tool and two string routines
* Read JavaOne observations, rants, and tips from Mariva Aviram
* Use printer-friendly option to print out JW articles

=========================================================================

Dear JavaWorld reader,

By now you've had a chance to check out JavaWorld's August issue, which
features the theory behind Jini by Bill Venners, a continuation of the
object-oriented design crusade by Allen Holub, two handy tools by Thomas
Davis, and JavaOne observations and tips by Mariva Aviram. For these
stores and more, go to:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-toc.html?072799txt

JINIOLOGY: DISCOVER THE THEORY BEHIND JINI WITH BILL VENNERS

In his article, "The Jini vision," JINIOLOGY columnist Bill Venners
outlines the theoretical superstructure of Sun's Jini networking
technology. Bill recounts his conversations with Sun Chief Scientist and
Jini creator Bill Joy at the recent Jini Community Summit in Aspen, Colo.
Read this article if you want to understand not merely how Jini works, but
rather why Jini exists.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-jiniology.html?072799txt

TOOLBOX: ALLEN HOLUB EXTENDS OO CRUSADE TO NEW SWING XML CLASS

In his article, "Problems with Swing's new XMLOutputStream class," TOOLBOX
columnist Allen Holub explains what's wrong, from an object-oriented
design perspective, with Swing's new XMLOutputStream class. Not satisfied
to just criticize, Allen offers several possible alternatives that do not
violate proper object-oriented design.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-toolbox.html?072799txt

COOL TOOLS: THOMAS DAVIS PRESENTS ARRAY HANDLING, STRING MANIPULATION TOOLS

In this month's COOL TOOLS article, "Easier ways to handle arrays -- plus
a little string manipulation," Thomas Davis introduces two separate tools
handy for everyday tasks. The first is an object-oriented wrapper for
easily handling primitive arrays, while the second consists of two string
manipulation routines for dicing, then reconstituting, strings. Both tools
are sure to make your life a bit easier.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-cooltools.html?072799txt

READ JAVAONE OBSERVATIONS, RANTS, AND HELPFUL TIPS FROM JW's MARIVA AVIRAM

In her article, "What Sun won't tell you about JavaOne," Mariva Aviram
explains the highlights and missteps from this year's JavaOne show,
including a perceptive deconstruction of Sun's keynote speakers. Moreover,
Mariva thoughtfully explains 10 ways to improve your JavaOne experience in
2000.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-javaone-journal.html?072799txt

USE JW'S PRINTER-FRIENDLY OPTION FOR EASY-TO-READ ARTICLE HARDCOPY

Each JavaWorld article includes a helpful printer-friendly option for your
printing pleasure. To access this useful feature, just click on the
"Printer-friendly version" link  found in the upper left-hand corner of
each JavaWorld article.

Thanks for reading JavaWorld!

      SPREAD THE WORD! Send this e-mail to a friend, and spread
   the word about Java -- and JavaWorld, the leading Java magazine!
                    More than 200,000 readers

                 JavaWorld -- Fueling Innovation!
                     http://www.javaworld.com?072799txt

      JavaWorld is part of IDG.net, the IDG Online Network.
      IT All Starts Here: http://www.idg.net

***************************READER SERVICES********************************

Free Standard Shipping at the JavaWorld Bookstore

Now until August 6th, Fatbrain.com offers free standard shipping on all
orders placed through the JavaWorld Bookstore. Just enter fatbrainjw in
the referral code field on the checkout page to receive your discount. All
titles in the bookstore are kept in stock and are available for same day
shipping!

  http://www1.fatbrain.com/partners/javaworld/home.asp?from=jworld

***************************** ADVERTISEMENT ******************************

Download -- at no cost -- alpha-code Java(TM) technologies from alphaWorks
including the top-rated XML parser for Java, Java Beans, and more.

Interact with IBM developers and discuss Java technologies on our forums.
 Check out the latest innovations from IBM research.

IBM alphaWorks. Speeding IBM technology to you.

  http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;513415;3438169;i

**************************************************************************

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To stop receiving such messages, send email to [email-masked]
with a subject field of:

UNSUB javaworld [email-masked] jw1726

Questions? Email [email-masked]

Distribution, database maintenance and response management
by The Email Channel, Inc. For more information, send e-mail 
to [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------