Subject: JW's Reader Favorites; latest news re: Java on Mac; PLUS: Preview of forthcoming JW March issue!

From: [email-masked] (JavaWorld Editor-in-Chief)
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 99 05:34:42 EST

J A V A W O R L D   A L E R T
                   JavaWorld -- Fueling Innovation!

             Get the Java TIPS, TOOLS, and TECHNOLOGIES at
                  http://www.javaworld.com?021699txt

===========================================================================

HIGHLIGHTS -- February 16, 1999

* JavaWorld reader favorites -- don't miss 'em!
* Latest news article: Update on Java development on and for the Mac
* What to look for in next issue of JavaWorld (this weekend)

===========================================================================

February 16, 1999

Dear JavaWorld reader,

Haven't had a chance to read the latest issue of JavaWorld yet? No
worries! The FEBRUARY ISSUE is still waiting for you at:

   http://www.javaworld.com/jw-02-1999/jw-02-toc.html?021699txt

READER FAVORITES -- JAVAWORLD'S FEBRUARY ISSUE TOP 5

1. XML JavaBeans, Part 1 -- Learn about the eXtensible Markup Language
and how you can use it to make beans mobile and interoperable:

   http://www.javaworld.com/jw-02-1999/jw-02-beans.html?021699txt

2. JavaWorld Search -- Find the articles you want!  Spans 3 years of
tutorials, tips, news, and more.  Plus IDG.net and jCentral searches:

   http://www.javaworld.com/search.html?021699txt

3. JavaWorld Developer Tools Guide -- The most comprehensive guide to
tools for Java developers, with nearly 600 products:

   http://www.javaworld.com/tools/jw-tools-index.html?021699txt

4. Book Review: In search of the best Java book for beginners --
A comparative review of 7 intro-programming language books:

   http://www.javaworld.com/jw-02-1999/jw-02-bookreview.html?021699txt

5. Java Tip 67: Lazy instantiation -- Balancing performance and resource
usage. How to defer creation of objects until they are actually required:

   http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip67.html?021699txt

LATEST NEWS ARTICLE: UPDATE ON JAVA DEVELOPMENT ON AND FOR THE MAC

Here's the news about the "IDEs of Mac" from Metrowerks and Symantec.
Plus: products demoed at Macworld Expo that make significant use of Java.

With Apple just releasing its latest version of the Mac OS Runtime for
Java (MRJ) 2.1, this information becomes all the more relevant.

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-02-1999/jw-02-macides.html?021699txt

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN NEXT ISSUE OF JAVAWORLD (THIS WEEKEND)

In our March issue of JavaWorld, due to be published February 20th,
look for the latest VolanoMark benchmarks measuring server-side
performance and scalability of various JVMs. The results are sure
to include several surprises. Find out how far Java has come!

Also be on the lookout for the unveiling of JavaWorld's redesign!
Many months in the making, the improved design will make JavaWorld
even more useful and will ease navigation.

Thanks for reading JavaWorld!

      SPREAD THE WORD! Send this e-mail to a friend, and spread
   the word about Java -- and JavaWorld, the leading Java magazine!
                    More than 200,000 readers

                 JavaWorld -- Fueling Innovation!
                     http://www.javaworld.com

****************************ADVERTISEMENT*******************************

                    FREE ORACLE8i INTERNET SEMINAR

     Register to attend a FREE Oracle8i Internet Seminar and learn how
     Oracle8i can help you leverage all your resources and create
     applications for any platform. Oracle8i is the only database
     to fully integrate a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and as many IT
     professionals are discovering, Java's "write once, run anywhere"
     capability has made it the language of choice for developing and
     deploying intranet/Internet applications.

               http://www.oracle.com/database/iseminar/

************************************************************************

************************** READER SERVICE ******************************

     LinuxWorld Conference & Expo
     March 1-4, 1999
     San Jose Convention Center
     San Jose, CA
     http://www.linuxworldexpo.com

     Register now for the exhibits and save $15 off the on-site price!

************************************************************************

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To stop receiving such messages, send email to [email-masked]
with a subject field of:

UNSUB javaworld [email-masked] jw1427

Questions? Email [email-masked]

Distribution, database maintenance and response management
by The Email Channel, Inc. For more information, send e-mail 
to [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------