Subject: PostDoc Pos at GMD-Japan RL (Distributed Systems) (fwd)

From: Saleh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:36:54 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:53:27 +0900
From: "Uwe R. Zimmer" <[email-masked]>
To: Connectionists <[email-masked]>
Subject: PostDoc Pos at GMD-Japan RL (Distributed Systems)

PostDoc-Pos-Announcement

     --------------------------------------------------------    
             Post-Doctoral Research Positions in
 
                     Distributed Systems
     --------------------------------------------------------

Two new post-doctoral positions are open at GMD Japan Research 
Laboratory, Kitakyushu, Japan and will be filled at the earliest 
convenience. The new laboratory (started in November '98 with a 
team of 8 scientists and 4 support staff, where these first 8 
positions should be filled until April '99) is based on long term 
cooperations with the Japanese research community and focuses on 
the robotics and the telecooperation research fields.

Investigated topics (in the area of telecooperation) are:

   - Distributed systems
   - Awareness in remote or of global situations
   - Remote operation
   - Non-verbal communications
   - Coupled virtual environments

Computer science aspects of distributed systems, several 
application layers (currently open for discussion) as well as 
connected psychological constraints and effects need to be 
considered simultaniously (but not necessarely by every
individual researcher).
 
Although we are an independent research group, there are of course
close connections to GMD in Germany (German National Research 
Center for Information Technology - http://www.gmd.de/). GMD Japan 
Research Laboratory is participating in the currently 
established Gigabit-network project in Japan.

If the above challenges rose your interest, please proceed to our 
expectations regarding the ideal candidate:

   - Ph.D. / doctoral degree in computer sciences, electrical 
     engineering, physics, mathematics, psychology or related 
     disciplines. 
   - Experiences in experimenting in distributed environments 
   - Theoretical foundations in mathematics, control, protocols,
     coding, or systems theory.
   - Interest in joining an international team of motivated 
     researchers.

Furthermore it is expected that the candidate evolves/introduces 
her/his own perspective on the topic, and pushes the goals of the 
whole group at the same time.

Salary starts at 8 Mill. Yen per year depending on experience. 
Support concerning the transfer to the Japanese environment is 
provided.

For any further information, and applications (including addresses
of referees, two recent publications, and a letter of interest!) 
please contact:

Uwe R. Zimmer (address below)

P.S. preferred formats for applications: pdf, ps.z, or FrameMaker
 
___________________________________________ 
                                     ____________________________|
    Dr. Uwe R. Zimmer                                         ___| 
                    GMD - Japan Research Laboratory              | 
                          AIM Building 8F, 3-8-1,                |
                          Asano, Kokurakita-ku                   |
                          Kitakyushu-city, 802-0001, Japan       |
_________________________________________________________________|
         Voice: +81 93 512 1566 - Fax: +81 93 512 1588           | 
                    http://www.gmd.gr.jp/                        |