Subject: excerpt of RMI section from JDC Newsletter Vol. 1 No. 11 (fwd)

From: George Thiruvathukal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:11:16 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Everyone,

The list seems quiet these days. Something called "summer" must have taken
over.

In the recent Java Developer's Connection newsletter from Sun, there's an
announcement of an RMI registry service provider, excerpted below, which
should allow more open naming services to be used with RMI. I personally
view this as a step in the right direction for RMI in terms of its
openness, although it does not address our [the JGF working group's] other
issues pertaining to openness, performance, and scalability. 

George

---- Excerpts from the JDC Newsletter

RMI REGISTRY SERVICE PROVIDER RELEASED.  This service provider enhances the
power of applications that use the Java Naming and Directory Interface(tm)
(JNDI).  Applications can access the RMI Registry using the Java platform's
generic naming interface.  Additionally, the RMI Registry can link to JNDI-
accessible directories such as LDAP to provide location-independent access
to remote objects.  To access, see:

http://java.sun.com/jndi

---

From: Adam Gaither <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:46:49 -0600

Hello,

I am looking for an example (or idea) of how to use a C++ client with 
a JAVA server or servlet.  I have asked four different people here and I
have four different answers of how to do this.  If you are interested:

I am trying to connect an X/Motif gui with a server to a "persistant
object" that is memory and compute intensive.  I am going to model
the server with JAVA and compute with C++ and FORTRAN.  I am NOT using
a web browser as an interface.  I would simply like JAVA to handle
the network connection and communication.  The information passed
between the server and client consists of arrays and queries on the
arrays.

Any ideas/examples?

Thanks for your help,

Adam

    _______
   /       |
  /        |===================================================================
 /Starkville Adam Gaither                        Mississippi State University |
 /       * | Senior Systems Integration Analyst  Engineering Research Center  |
 \         | Fax: (601)325-7692                  2 Research Blvd.             |
  |        | Phone: (601)325-2067                Starkville, MS               |
  /        | [email-masked]                39759                        |
 /         |===================================================================
|______    |
      /    |
      \____|

Favorite quote:  "I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you."

---

From: Paul Houle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:14:02 +0100

> between the server and client consists of arrays and queries on the

    Do I understand what you're saying?  You have a C++ client program and you
have some computation written in C++ and FORTRAN.  You want to use Java to connect
the two together.  Am I right?

    If not,  I'd think what you're asking for is pretty odd.  Writing a Motif
GUI,  for instance,  when you could use AWT,  would be unadvisable.  If you've
already got the Motif GUI,  then this makes
sense.

    The two ways for hooking up Java and C++ are (1) Native Methods,  and
(2) CORBA.  If you're using (2),  however,  you might as well just hook your two
C++ programs together using CORBA.