Subject: Re: JDK 1.2 is out for Digital Unix

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 09:54:02 -0600

It could be due to a number of reasons, but most likely...

Different executable sizes. Supposedly, there are some parts of the JDK
related to HotSpot (based on what I heard in a presentation) that use tools
written in C++ and not Java.

"Dr. Ranjan Sen" wrote:

> just a curiosity... why should the JDK1.2 be 28M when that for the
> Windows is 20M?
> Is it because of the JRE difference in size?
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Houle [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 1998 10:35 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: JDK 1.2 is out for Digital Unix
>
>     Who knows what it means for Linux,  but a beta of JDK 1.2 is out for
> Digital
> Unix.  I've been quite impressed with the Beta JDK 1.1.7 from Digital
> and I'm
> hoping for the best.  I just started the 28M download...

---

From: Paul Houle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 09:20:57 +0100

There are a couple of reasons why I can imagine the JDK being a little big
for Digital Unix.  Both could be wrong

(1) The Digital Unix JDK comes with the API documentation -- do the Windows
and Solaris versions?  The JRE,  development tools,  and documentation are
three separate install sets that are bundled in one file.  This is probably a
mistake.  I consider it a miracle that I was able to download a 30M file from
the US here in Germany.

(2) I'm pretty ignorant of what's under the hood in Alpha machines,  but I
assume that executables for a 64-bit machine are going to be larger than
executables for a 32-bit machine,  if only because of pointer and integer
constants.