Subject: HPCCG <thank you>

From: "Martin A. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:07:30 -0500

This is an excellent reference.  I have been very glad to have access to it.
Thank you for your work.

I do however have a question/concern:

I have always thought that there was a distinction between the following:

bps - bits per second
BPS - bytes per second

Could you enlighten me?  Is my 28.8 kbps modem really a kilo-bytes per
second modem?

Not trying to stir the soup, but rather seeking to make fine distinctions.
Again, thank you for your work on this convenient and useful reference.

Martin

---

From: "Martin A. Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:13:08 -0500

>Glad you liked the glossary. Ken started it few years ago and I recently 
>updated it. If you notice something missing and of relevance to 
>HPCC, I'd appreciate it if you drop me a line.

Wow, fast response--

I'm afraid I'm not in the right business to notice something missing from
your glossary, but I thought there was a distinction between

>> BPS - bytes per second

I'm familiar with [k]ilo & [M]ega, and know what they mean, but a bit and a
byte are different by a factor of 8, no?

I guess, the reason this came up is that BPS is in your glossary, but not
the common bps (bits-per-second).  I guess what I wanted clarity on was that
I am not imagining things, and that bps and BPS are two different things.
If so, you might add bps to your glossary, so as not to confuse the other
"beginner's" like me.

I am completely new to technologyies like ATM and BISDN...

Thanks,

M