Subject: Java LAPACK

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 12:22:10 -0400

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Sun, 31 May 1998 08:58:50 -0700
From:    "Robert J. Harrison" <[email-masked]>
To:      [email-masked]
Subject: Someone might find this useful

From: Jack Dongarra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 16:56:35 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: LAPACK-to-Java

The first public release of the Java LAPACK (version 0.3 beta) is available
for download at the following URL:
  http://www.cs.utk.edu/f2j/download.html

The JLAPACK project provides the LAPACK and BLAS numerical subroutines
translated from their Fortran 77 source into class files, executable by
the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and suitable for use by Java programmers.
This makes it possible for a Java application or applet distributed on
the web to use established legacy numerical code that was originally written
in Fortran.  The translation was accomplished using a special purpose
Fortran-to-Java (source-to-source) compiler.

The Java LAPACK is distributed as several packages of class files
which the Java programmer may import similarly to the java.lang.Math
package.  Source code is also included for reference, although for
technical reasons, it may not be possible for users to recompile code
containing GOTOs.

These class files are provided to enable LAPACK capabilities, not to
provide a highly efficient version of the library.
Although over time we expect an efficient Java version of the BLAS to
be available.

There is some javadoc-generated documentation for BLAS and LAPACK at:
  http://www.cs.utk.edu/f2j/docs/html/packages.html

For general information on the Java LAPACK and Fortran-to-Java translation,
visit us at:
  http://www.cs.utk.edu/f2j

Jack Dongarra and Keith Seymour

------- End of Forwarded Message