Subject: [cpsedu] A Much Higher Performance Java Implementation for Solaris 2.6 (fwd)

From: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:56:13 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:45:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: Corky Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Subject: A Much Higher Performance Java Implementation for Solaris 2.6

Solaris 2.6 Users:

Sun has just released a new implementation of Java 1.2 designed 
specifically for Solaris machines (Sparc and x86) under its
Early Access program at the Java Developers Connection.  It is
available at the URL 

  http://developer.javasoft.com/developer/earlyAccess/jdk1.2/index.html

You have to register with the Java Developers Connection to download
the system but the registration process is trivial.

The implementation features a completely new generational copying
garbage collector, low overhead locking protocols, and a much more
sophisticated JIT compiler (it even does some common subexpression
elimination).  During the past academic year, I spent my sabbatical at
Sun Microsystems Laboratories East working with Java Topics research
group that produced this implementation.  The experimental Java
implementation developed by this research group was so better than
existing Sun products that the Solaris Sofware division of Sun
Microsystems decided to make the research system into a product.

I am interested in hearing how well this implementation performs on
scientific calculations.  It is still a long way from optimized
Fortran, but it runs 12 times faster than JDK 1.1.5 on my favorite
symbolic benchmark (a boolean simplifier).

Check it out.

Corky Cartwright
Department of Computer Science
Rice University

---

From: Mark Natoli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:14:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Saleh Elmohamed wrote:

> Mark,
> 
> Which one of the Ultras running Solaris 2.6 and ready for software 
> testing?
> 
> BTW, is jojo running 2.6?

  Please test logging into kyle and luke.  I have just recently finished
the installation.  They are both 2.6 machines.  jojo is running 2.5.1. 

Mark

---

From: Mark Natoli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:46:48 -0400 (EDT)

Saleh,

  When all else fails, reboot.  So that is what I did.  Try logging onto
kyle and luke again.  It fixed the same problem with my account.

Mark

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Saleh Elmohamed wrote:

> I just did that and still no go.
>