Subject: JavaWorld This Week: Build object databases, SAX and DTDs, Q&A, a new Tip, and more!

From: JavaWorld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 19:19:19

JAVAWORLD THIS WEEK  --- April 11, 2000
JavaWorld is part of ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
http://www.javaworld.com

*********************************************************************
HIGHLIGHTS

* COVER FEATURE helps you build an object storage backend 
* Program XML in Java with SAX, LAX, and DTDs
* Get the A to this week's Q in JAVA Q&A
* New FOLLOW-UP TIPS added to your favorite Java Tips 
* More NEWSBRIEFS update you on the hottest industry news 

********************************************************************* 
ADVERTISEMENT

Targeted, Confidential Java Jobs

Introducing the most targeted, confidential, Java-specific job site on
the Web. Let Cruel World find you the perfect match--a cool new project,
a new boss, more money, a promotion. Totally free, totally confidential
and just for Java developers. Cruel World. Work Happily Ever After.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1131981;4164969;o

*********************************************************************
Dear JavaWorld reader,

Greetings from JavaWorld Alert, your email link to what's new at 
www.javaworld.com.

For the latest tutorials, tips, news, resources, and more, go to:

http://www.javaworld.com/?041100txt

COVER FEATURE HELPS YOU BUILD AN OBJECT STORAGE BACKEND 

"Build an object database, Part 2: Object storage backend" shows you
how to implement relational database storage to the object storing
framework developed in Part 1. Then learn how to specialize it to
support the open source MySQL database. Check out this informative
article, and link to Part 1, right here:

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-04-2000/jw-0407-step.html?041100txt

PROGRAM XML IN JAVA WITH SAX, LAX, AND DTDS 

"Programming XML in Java, Part 2" delves further into using SAX in your
applications. Read about document type definitions (DTDs), learn about
LAX -- the Lazy API for XML, and see LAX applied in a small document-
processing system that uses the same XML data to generate documents for
multiple purposes. Experience the joy of SAX, LAX, and DTDs: 

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-04-2000/jw-0407-advsax.html?041100txt 

GET THE A TO THIS WEEK'S Q IN JAVA Q&A 

"Can you securely read a password on the command line?" is this week's
Q&A question. It's a difficult task, but our Java Q&A expert provides
some solutions: 

http://www.javaworld.com/javaqa/2000-04/01-qa-0407-command.html?041100txt

NEW FOLLOW-UP TIPS ADD MORE FUNCTIONALITY TO YOUR FAVORITE JAVA TIPS 

Occasionally readers will send us short tips that make our already-
published Java Tips even better. So we decided to share these follow-up
tips with the rest of the Java world! This week: Instead of purchasing
a Java HTML widget for a Help system, just use the class, described in
Java Tip 66, to control your default browser from Windows, Unix, and
now the Mac! See the new Mac-specific follow-up tip displayed at the
end of this article: 

http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip66.html?041100txt

NEWS AND NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS UPDATE YOU ON THIS WEEK'S JAVA BUZZ

Julie Salzmann delivers 18 informative company announcements and
product briefs, including: JavaOne 2000 conference approaching;
Fireclick improves Web performance with predictive caching; Activcard
enhances smart card offerings; Compuware ships NuMega DevPartner 2.0;and more! 

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-04-2000/jw-0407-newsbriefs.html?041100tt

*********************************************************************
SEND THIS TO A COLLEAGUE

Pass this newsletter along to a friend or colleague, and spread the 
word about JavaWorld, the leading Java online resource.

*********************************************************************
ITWORLD.COM SERVICES 

Go behind the headlines with Network World editors-FREE webcast!

Join John Gallant, Doug Barney, Paul McNamera, and Mark Gibbs, as they
dig deep behind the headlines to examine "real" network challenges. 
FREE, interactive webcast premieres May 5 at 1:00 p.m. ET. Register now:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1103520;4141007;g

Performance problems? Can't find the Java specs you need?

Looking for competitive information to make tough Java implementation 
decisions? For speedy access to in-depth Java trend analysis from IDC,
Forester Research, META Group and more, search our database now: 
http://whitepapersandreports.itworld.com/data/frame?u=/data/rlist&qs=t=soft_10_90_30&f=1

Webshopper: Your One Stop Shop

Run a product search on Webshopper, and find the latest products, prices
and information--all at one location. With a powerful pricing engine,
trusted reviews, articles, and buying guides, it's easier and faster 
than ever to shop online.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1072475;4110592;z

*********************************************************************  
CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can subscribe or unsubscribe from any newsletter by 
updating your form at: 
http://www.itworld.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/newsletters/subcontent12.html?

For subscription changes that cannot be handled via the web, 
please send an email to our customer service dept: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************
CONTACTS

* For editorial comments, write Carolyn Wong, Editor-In-Chief, 
JavaWorld at:  [email-masked]
 * For advertising information, write Dan Chupka, Account Executive 
at: [email-masked]
* For all other inquiries, write Jodie Naze, Product Manager,
Newsletters at: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************

JavaWorld is a trademark or registered trademark of 
Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries, and 
is used under license by International Data Group, Inc. All other 
product names and trademarks used in these articles are the 
trademarks of their respective owners. 

Copyright 2000 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 

http://www.itworld.com