Subject: JavaWorld serves up more Server-Side Java articles, Java Tip 89, a Performance pit stop, and more!

From: JavaWorld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 23:29:29

JAVAWORLD THIS WEEK  --- March 07, 2000
JavaWorld is part of ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
http://www.javaworld.com

*********************************************************************
HIGHLIGHTS

* Three new SERVER-SIDE JAVA articles cover BOOKS, PATTERNS, and JSP
* Chat with the authors of the SERVER-SIDE Java series in ONLINE FORUM 
* JAVA TIP 89 helps you create semi-modal dialogs
* Learn how PUSHLETS send events from servlets to DHTML browser clients
* New weekly PERFORMANCE column delivers a second time
* More NEWSBRIEFS update you on the hottest industry news and products

********************************************************************* 
ADVERTISEMENT

FREE Webcast- Intelligent Broadband Networking

There’s a better way to provide high-speed service delivery to support 
the bandwidth-hungry applications of the new millenium. You just need 
someone to show you how.  Register now for a FREE-interactive webcast
hosted by Marconi. Log on now and enter your VIP# MAR-MR0-001
http://www.itworld.com/itwebcast/marconi_cos.html

*********************************************************************
Dear JavaWorld reader,

Greetings from JavaWorld Alert, your email link to what's new at 
www.javaworld.com.

For the latest tutorials, tips, news, resources, and more, go to:

  http://www.javaworld.com/?030800txt

SERVER-SIDE JAVA ARTICLES SERVE UP SSJ BOOKS, PATTERNS, AND JSP 

The gurus from jGuru.com are back to deliver three great new articles.
Make sure to check these out fast! Then meet with the jGuru authors on
Thursday, March 9th at 10 a.m. PST for a FREE online forum. Get your
most dire questions answered or just chat about this important topic.
See details below. 

1. "Java servlet books: A comparative review" by John Zukowski
  In this comprehensive review, John delivers an in-depth look at nine
  servlet books. This comparison aims to save you time and grief
  in your server-side Java book search: 

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-ssj-books.html?030800txt

2. "Server-side patterns for flexible initialization" by Lennart Jorelid
  Java reflection is a great tool for decoupling implementation detail
  between application subsystems. Here, Lennart shows you a reflective
  approach to initializing your server-side system:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-ssj-patterns.html?030800txt

3. "Internationalize JSP-based Websites" by Govind Seshadri
  By making use of certain classes provided by the Java 2 SDK, you can
  develop Web applications that speak in tongues. Learn how at:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-ssj-jsp.html?030800txt

THE JGURU AUTHORS ANSWER YOUR MOST IMPORTANT SERVER-SIDE JAVA QUESTIONS

The authors of this month's server-side Java computing articles will
hold a free online seminar on March 9 at 10:00 a.m. PST. Register to
join right here:

  http://seminars.jguru.com

JAVA TIP 89: MANIPULATE EVENTQUEUES FOR SEMI-MODAL DIALOGS 

Occasionally you may want to force users to do something within a dialog
(the modal aspect), while at the same time allow them to use the
underlying GUI (the non-modal aspect). Java Tip 89 helps you create
the semi-modal dialog to combine these two capabilities:

  http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip89.html?030800txt

LEARN HOW PUSHLETS SEND EVENTS FROM SERVLETS TO DHTML BROWSER CLIENTS 

Discover how Pushlets, a servlet-based notification mechanism, allows
server-side Java objects to call back JavaScript code within a
client-browser. Get it here first:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-pushlet.html?030800txt

MAKE A 10-MINUTE PIT STOP TO THE NEW WEEKLY PERFORMANCE COLUMN 

Java performance pundit Reggie Hutcherson covers the basics of
Java performance and defines the four main execution workloads in the
Java Virtual Machine. Make a performance pit stop at:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-javaperf_2.html?030800txt

MORE NEWS AND NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS UPDATE YOU ON THE HOTTEST JAVA PRODUCTS

Julie Salzmann delivers 37 informative company announcements and product
briefs, including: Escape 4.0 captures Internet smart device market; CMP
Media predicts future of Java; ObjectFX releases SpatialFX 2.0; Oracle
announces Oracle8i Release 2 for Linux; and more!

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-newsbriefs_1.html?030800txt

*********************************************************************
SEND THIS TO A COLLEAGUE

Pass this newsletter along to a friend or colleague, and spread the 
word about JavaWorld, the leading Java online resource.

*********************************************************************
ITWORLD.COM SERVICES 
"LIVE From the Ether" with Bob Metcalfe - FREE Internet webcast!

Interact with esteemed industry guru Bob Metcalfe during a weekly
webcast premiering March 22. Go beyond topics in Bob’s Infoworld column
and get your questions answered by Bob and his noted guests.
Participation is limited, so register NOW! Logon with VIP code 
# MET-MR0-003 at: 
http://www.itworld.com/itwebcast/metcalfe_3_22.html

*********************************************************************  
CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can subscribe or unsubscribe from any newsletter by 
updating your form at: 
http://www.itworld.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/newsletters/subcontent12.html?

For subscription changes that cannot be handled via the web, 
please send an email to our customer service dept: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************
CONTACTS

* For editorial comments, write Carolyn Wong, Editor-In-Chief, 
JavaWorld at:  [email-masked]
 * For advertising information, write Dan Chupka, Account Executive 
at: [email-masked]
* For all other inquiries, write Jodie Naze, Product Manager,
Newsletters at: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************

JavaWorld is a trademark or registered trademark of 
Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries, and 
is used under license by International Data Group, Inc. All other 
product names and trademarks used in these articles are the 
trademarks of their respective owners. 

Copyright 2000 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 

http://www.itworld.com