Subject: Java Toolbox finishes its look at object-oriented design, discover the important news from XTech 2000, find out how inner classes can help your code, and more!

From: JavaWorld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 01:38:38

JAVAWORLD THIS WEEK  --- March 15, 2000
JavaWorld is part of ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
http://www.javaworld.com

*********************************************************************
HIGHLIGHTS

* Java Toolbox demonstrates an OO-designed RPN calculator
* Discover the breaking XML/Java news from the recent XTech 2000 show!
* Join Mark Johnson as he kicks off his XML programming series
* Two new Java Q&As look at multiline buttons and inner classes
* Submission deadline for Code Master's Challenge 4 extended
* JAVA JUMPS -- your source for Java-related links

********************************************************************* 
ADVERTISEMENT

Free Webcast! Explore the latest Developments in VPN Technology

Learn how you can extend your network to customers, partners, and
employees with secure VPN solutions. Explore VPN latest developments
Log on today to attend this FREE Interactive web based seminar, enter
in your VIP code# INT-AP0-001 and go to:
http://www.seminar.shiva.com/

*********************************************************************
Dear JavaWorld reader,

Greetings from JavaWorld Alert, your email link to what's new at 
http://www.javaworld.com.

For the latest tutorials, tips, news, resources, and more, go to:

http://www.javaworld.com?031500txt

JAVA TOOLBOX SHOWS OBJECT-ORIENTED UI DESIGN WITH AN RPN CALCULATOR 

In "User interfaces for object-oriented systems, Part 6: The RPN 
calculator," Allen Holub wraps up his ground breaking look at object-
oriented, user interface design by detailing his RPN (Reverse Polish 
Notation) calculator. Allen's calculator demonstrates numerous 
important object-oriented concepts including the visual-proxy design 
pattern, as well as several Gang of Four design patterns. Be sure to 
read this important conclusion to Allen's most provocative Java Toolbox 
series:

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-toolbox.html?031500txt

DISCOVER THE IMPORTANT XML/JAVA-RELATED NEWS FROM THE XTECH 2000 SHOW

JavaWorld's man on the scene, Eric Armstrong, details the most 
important XML/Java-related news from the recent XTech 2000 show held in 
San Jose, California. Not content with mere news reporting, Eric also 
provides his expert analysis of:

* JAXP: Sun's new Java/XML API
* Security: Is XML safe?
* EasySAX: A better parsing mechanism?
* SML: Is a simple XML a good idea?
* RELAX: Your schema is here!

As XML becomes increasingly important to all aspects of computing, Java 
developers can stay ahead of the curve by reading:

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-xmlshow.html?031500txt

MARK JOHNSON KICKS OFF HIS NEW XML PROGRAMMING SERIES!

XML is great for representing data, but what's the best way to 
integrate XML with Java? In "Programming XML in Java, Part 1," veteran 
JavaWorld author Mark Johnson explains how to incorporate XML into your 
Java apps with the Simple API for XML (SAX). Be the first on your block 
to read:

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-xmlsax.html?031500txt

TWO NEW JAVA Q&AS LOOK AT MULTILINE BUTTONS AND INNER CLASSES

New Java Q&A expert Tony Sintes answers two intriguing reader questions 
by explaining how to create a multiline button with Swing, and why 
inner classes can play a crucial role in good code design.

Read "A multiline button is possible!" at:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaqa/2000-03/01-qa-button.html?031500txt

For "Inner classes," visit:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaqa/2000-03/02-qa-innerclass.html?031500txt

Find the complete Java Q&A catalog by jumping to:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaqa/javaqa-index.html?031500txt

JAVAWORLD CODE MASTERS CHALLENGE 4 EXTENDED

Itching to enter JavaWorld's exciting Code Master Challenge 4? You've 
still got time because we've extended the deadline for submissions to 
March 24, 2000 11:59 p.m. PST. Challenge 4 asks you to find a numerical 
solution to an ODE (ordinary differential equation) with Java and XML. 
A fabulous prize awaits the winner. Remember, you can't win if you 
don't play:
  
http://www.javaworld.com/codemasters/codemasters_challenge4.html?031500txt

JW JAVA JUMPS -- YOUR SOURCE FOR JAVA RESOURCES AROUND THE WEB 

JavaWorld's JAVA JUMPS page, part of our extensive RESOURCES section, 
is your link to the best Java information on the Web. Download the 
current JDK, access newsgroups, find out about user groups in your 
region, and more! 

http://www.javaworld.com/common/jw-jumps.html?031500txt

*********************************************************************
SEND THIS TO A COLLEAGUE

Pass this newsletter along to a friend or colleague, and spread the 
word about JavaWorld, the leading Java online resource.

*********************************************************************
ITWORLD.COM SERVICES 

Bob Metcalfe tackles IT topics LIVE online—FREE webcast!

You’ve read "From the Ether," now explore Bob Metcalfe’s views even
further in a series of FREE webcasts premiering on March 22. The
webcast will feature Bob’s wit and wisdom and allow you to ask Bob
questions—LIVE! Logon with VIP code # MET-MR0-003 at: 
http://www.itworld.com/metcalfe

*********************************************************************  
CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can subscribe or unsubscribe from any newsletter by 
updating your form at: 
http://www.itworld.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/newsletters/subcontent12.html?

For subscription changes that cannot be handled via the web, 
please send an email to our customer service dept: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************
CONTACTS

* For editorial comments, write Carolyn Wong, Editor-In-Chief, 
JavaWorld at:  [email-masked]
 * For advertising information, write Dan Chupka, Account Executive 
at: [email-masked]
* For all other inquiries, write Jodie Naze, Product Manager,
Newsletters at: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************

JavaWorld is a trademark or registered trademark of 
Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries, and 
is used under license by International Data Group, Inc. All other 
product names and trademarks used in these articles are the 
trademarks of their respective owners. 

Copyright 2000 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 

http://www.itworld.com