Subject: Mean Field & Scheduling (fwd)

From: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:21:45 -0400

Dear Professor Soderberg,

I have been looking for more recent -last 5yrs or so- 
work using your method of mean field annealing on large 
scale course/academic scheduling, invloving students 
preferences as well.

Other than the high school case that was mentioned in the 
92 NC paper of yours, I was no able to find any such work 
using this technique.

I really would appreciate it if you could point me
out to any recent (published or unpublished) large scale
timetabling/course scheduling work using MFA.

Many thanks.

best regards,
Saleh

---

From: Bo Söderberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:54:27 +0200

Saleh Elmohamed wrote:
> 92 NC paper of yours, I was not able to find any such work
> using this technique.
> 

Dear Dr. Elmohamed,

Regarding our MFA method for complex scheduling: We haven't
ourselves been searching for practical implementations of it,
having a more academic interest in the subject.

Neither do I know of any practical implementation by third
party.

Regarding complex scheduling in general, we have done some
later work on related subjects, involving e.g. airline crew
scheduling, that might be of interest to you, and I refer
you to our web-page with downloadable publications:

http://www.thep.lu.se/tf2/complex/article.complex.html

Best regards,
Bo S.

___________________________________________________________________
Bo Soderberg, Assoc. Prof.   | phone: +46 - 46 22 290 72                 
Dept. of Theoretical Physics | fax:   +46 - 46 22 244 38                 
Lund University              | email: [email-masked]                      
Solvegatan 14                | http://www.thep.lu.se/tf2/staff/bs/
S-223 63 LUND, Sweden        |