Subject: JW's most popular stories: XML for the beginner, building user interfaces for object-oriented systems, a Java mail tutorial, and more!

From: JavaWorld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:15:15

JAVAWORLD THIS WEEK  --- February 23, 2000
JavaWorld is part of ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
http://www.javaworld.com

*********************************************************************
HIGHLIGHTS

* JavaWorld's "greatest hits" of the past year
* "XML for the absolute beginner" -- a must-read for the XML novice
* Java Toolbox: "Build user interfaces for object-oriented systems"
* Get to know the Java Mail API
* Plug into Java 
* Java: How it all began

********************************************************************* 
ADVERTISEMENT

IBM

developerWorks, IBM's portal for software developers,  invites you 
February 24 at 4:00 pm ET to an e-seminar to meet and interact with the
developers and experts of the IBM Developer Kit for Linux, Java
Technology  Edition, Version 1.1.8. Join the IBM developers who created
the kit to ask questions and get a review of all the SDK has to offer.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;951477;2814936;v

*********************************************************************
Dear JavaWorld reader,

This was the week JavaWorld was set to switch to a new weekly schedule. 
But we hit a snag -- one of our servers decided to go into a deep 
freeze. The problem is being worked on, but we've consequently been 
delayed in posting this week's new columns and feature stories. We 
apologize for this situation.

You can, of course, still access all of our current and past content. In 
fact, we think this is an excellent opportunity for you to dive into our 
archives and discover -- or rediscover -- a few of JavaWorld's past 
gems. 

In examining our log files, we've noticed several past articles that 
still rank high. While we recognize that some of the information in 
these articles is outdated, we thought you'd appreciate seeing these 
articles that are still sought out by your fellow readers. 

So here are a few of the perennial favorites: 

XML IS HOT, HOT, HOT 

 "XML for the absolute beginner"
 A guided tour from HTML to processing XML with Java

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-04-1999/jw-04-xml.html?022200.txt

 "XML JavaBeans, Part 1"
 Make JavaBeans mobile and interoperable with XML

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-02-1999/jw-02-beans.html?022200.txt 

 "XML and Java: A potent partnership, Part 3"
 Learn how to integrate Java and JavaScript

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-08-1999/jw-08-howto.html?022200.txt 

A SERIES OF JAVA TOOLBOX COLUMNS

 "Build user interfaces for object-oriented systems, Part 1"
 What is an object? The theory behind building object-oriented user 
 interfaces

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-07-1999/jw-07-toolbox.html?022200.txt 

 "Build user interfaces for object-oriented systems, Part 2: 
 The visual-proxy architecture"
 A scalable architecture for building object-oriented user interfaces

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-09-1999/jw-09-toolbox.html?022200.txt 

A JAVA MAIL TUTORIAL

 "Introduction to the Java Mail API"
 Learn how easy it is to develop email applications using the Java Mail 
API

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-06-1999/jw-06-javamail.html?022200.txt 

A JAVA PLUG-IN LESSON

 "Plug into Java with Java Plug-in"
 Learn how Sun's software tool solves the lag time between Java releases 
 and new browser versions

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-06-1999/jw-06-plugin.html?022200.txt 

You can also click to our Topical Index and quickly locate other 
articles by areas of interest: 
 
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/topicalindex/jw-ti-index.html?022200.txt

And going way, way back you can reminisce about Java's birth and check 
out a true oldie but goodie: an article titled, "Java: The inside 
story," by former JavaWorld Editor-in-Chief Michael O'Connell that appeared in SunWorld  magazine just before he launched JavaWorld. Wow, look how far this industry has come!

http://www.sunworld.com/sunworldonline/swol-07-1995/swol-07-java.html?jw

Best regards,
Carolyn Wong
Editor-in-Chief

*********************************************************************
SEND THIS TO A COLLEAGUE

Pass this newsletter along to a friend or colleague, and spread the 
word about JavaWorld, the leading Java online resource.

*********************************************************************
ITWORLD.COM SERVICES 

IDC's IT Forecaster offering insight and trends from top analysts

Have IT market data and top notch industry analysis at your fingertips
with IDC's IT Forecaster.  Plus, customer feedback, case studies, and
actionable advice from ASP experts. Sign Up Today!  
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;962982;3936308;x

The Talent You Want Is Working With Us

ITworld.com is a critical tool for finding today's technical talent,
and ITcareers.com is where hi-tech talent turns when they begin the
search for new and better opportunities. We're priced for value...only
$200 buys a thirty-day posting. Check us out, or forward to your team
member responsible for recruiting, AND LIGHT A FIRE!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;900174;2814936;j

*********************************************************************  
CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can subscribe or unsubscribe from any newsletter by 
updating your form at: 
http://www.itworld.com/itpostmaster/mailregister.html

For subscription changes that cannot be handled via the web, 
please send an email to our customer service dept: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************
CONTACTS

* For editorial comments, write Carolyn Wong, Editor-In-Chief, 
JavaWorld at:  [email-masked]
 * For advertising information, write Dan Chupka, Account Executive 
at: [email-masked]
* For all other inquiries, write Jodie Naze, Product Manager,
Newsletters at: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************

JavaWorld is a trademark or registered trademark of 
Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries, and 
is used under license by International Data Group, Inc. All other 
product names and trademarks used in these articles are the 
trademarks of their respective owners. 

Copyright 2000 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 

http://www.itworld.com