Subject: The Future of PET

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 13:44:54 -0500

As Geoffrey, and many of you, move to Tallahassee, things in NPAC will
undoubtedly become a bit chaotic.  

Many of you are paid in full or in part from our PET contracts.  We
are beginning discussions with the PET management about the future of
our PET funding. At this stage there are no guarantees, but we expect
that the principal PET activities, and the bulk of the money will
shift to FSU once staff are in place.  Some other activities will
probably remain in Syracuse or at least transition more slowly.

Unlike many research grants, our PET contracts have specific
deliverables set from year to year.  We already have some deliverables
set through September 2000.  It will be very important that we meet
our PET deliverables and provide them with continuity through the
transition to help insure their goodwill and continued support.  

This will be important for both those moving to Tallahassee and those
remaining in Syracuse, and I ask for your help in insuring that we
collectively do a good job.  I would ask you to pay attention to the
delivereables (most statements of work are available at
http://www.npac.syr.edu/Projects/DoD/projects.html) and to let me know
as soon as possible if you forsee problems in meeting our obligations
-- because of the move to Tallahassee or for any other reason.

For my part, I will be more insistent about prompt and quality
progress reports, to assure our sponsors that work continues, and you
can expect that I will follow your work more closely to help insure
that we do meet our obligations.

I believe that PET can continue to be an important source of funding
for activities in Syracuse and Tallahassee with your help.

Thanks, David
--
David E. Bernholdt                      | Email:  [email-masked]
Northeast Parallel Architectures Center | Phone:  +1 315 443 3857
111 College Place, Syracuse University  | Fax:    +1 315 443 1973
Syracuse, NY 13244-4100                 | URL:    http://www.npac.syr.edu