Subject: Qual Exam Reading List

From: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:18:10 -0500 (EST)

Ernie,

Here is the reading list:

Optimization and Algorithms
===========================
1.  E. Aarts and J. K. Lenstra, editors,
  Local Search in Combinatorial Optimization, 
  Wiley-Interscience Publication, Chichester, UK, 1997.

2. E. Burke and M. Carter, editors, 
  Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling II, Lecture
  Notes in Computer Science, Volume 1408, Springer, 1998.

3. T. H. Cormen, C. L. Leiserson, and R. L. Rivest,
  Introduction to Algorithms, McGraw-Hill, 1990.

4. A. Ferreira and P. Pardalos, editors,
  Solving Combinatorial Optimization Problems in Parallel,
  Springer-Verlag, 1996.

5. S. Kirkpatrick, C. D. Gelatt, and M. P. Vecchi, ``Optimization
  by simulated annealing,'' Science, 220 (4598):671-680, 13 May
  1983. 

6. O. G. Mouritsen, Computer Studies of Phase Transitions and
  Critical Phenomena, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1984.

7. D. E. Knuth, Fundamental Algorithms, Volume 1 of The Art
  of Computer Programming. Addison-Wesley, 1998. (Third Edition)

8. D. E. Knuth, Seminumerical Algorithms, Volume 2 of The Art
  of Computer Programming, Addison-Wesley, 1998. (Third Edition)

9. D. E. Knuth, Sorting and Searching, Volume 3 of The Art of
  Computer Programming, Addison-Wesley, 1998. (Third Edition)

10. G. B. Sorkin, Theory and Practice of Simulated Annealing on
  Special Energy landscapes, PhD Thesis, EECS, U. C. Berkeley,
  1992.

11. C. H. Papadimitriou and K. Steiglitz, 
  Combinatorial Optimization - Algorithms and Complexity, 
  Dover Publications, 1998.

12. G. Reinelt, The Traveling Salesman -  Computational Solutions
  for TSP Applications, Springer-Verlag, 1994.

13. J. Hertz, A. Krogh, and R. Palmer, Intro. to the Theory of
  Neural Computation, Addison-Wesley, 1991.

Physical Optimization
=====================
The following collection of papers deals with a number of methods for 
physical optimization: mean field annealing (or deterministic
annealing), neural networks, and tabu search, in particular.

1. G. C. Fox, E. Gurewitz and Y. F. Wang, ``A Neural Network
  Approach to Multi-Vehicle Navigation (I),'' Proc. of SPIE's
    Symposium on Advances in Intelligent Systems, Philadelphia,
    November 1989.

2. K. Rose, E. Gurewitz and G. Fox, ``A Deterministic Annealing
  Approach to Clustering,'' Pattern Recognition Letters 11, p 589
  (1990).

3. G. C. Fox, E. Gurewitz and Y. F. Wang, ``A Neural Network
  Approach to Multi-Vehicle Navigation (II),'' Proc. of the
    DMCC5, Charleston, S. Carolina, April 1990.

4. K. Rose, E. Gurewitz and G. Fox, ``Statistical Mechanics and
  Phase Transition in Clustering,'' Phys. Rev. Letters 65, p 945
  (1990).

5. K. Rose, E. Gurewitz and G. Fox, ``Vector Quantization by
  Deterministic Annealing,'' IEEE Trans on Information Theory
  38, p 1249 (1992).

6. K. Rose, E. Gurewitz and G. Fox, ``Constraint Clustering as an
  Optimization Method,'' IEEE PAMI 15, p 785 (1993).

7. G. C. Fox, W. Furmanski, A. Ho, J. Koller, P. Simic, and 
  Y. F. Wong, ``Neural networks and dynamic complex systems,'' Tech.
  Report C3P-695, Caltech, December 1988. Proceedings of 1989 SCS
  Eastern Conference, Tampa, Florida, March 28-31, 1989.

8. G. C. Fox, ``Applications of the generalized elastic net to
  navigation.'' Tech. Report C3P-930, Caltech, June 1990. Unpublished.

9. G. C. Fox, ``Parallel computers and complex systems,'' in 
  Complex Systems '92 - From Biology to Computations, December
  1992. Syracuse University Tech. Report SCCS-370.

10. G. C. Fox, ``Approaches to physical optimization,'' in 
  Proceedings of the 5th SIAM Conf. on Parallel Processes for
  Scientific Computation, 153-162, 1992. SCCS-92,
  CRPC-TR91124. Caltech Report C3P-959.

11. G. C. Fox and A. Gandhi, ``Solving problems in navigation.''
  Tech. Report SCCS-9, Syracuse University, 1990. Unpublished.

12 G. C. Fox and A. Gandhi, ``Physical optimization for navigation
  and robot manipulation.'' Tech. Report SCCS-43, Syracuse University,
  1990. Unpublished.

13 A. Hertz, ``Finding a feasible course schedule using Tabu
  Search,'' Discrete Applied Mathematics, 35:255-270, 1992.

Parallel Computing and Architecture
===================================

1. G. F. Pfister,  In Search of Clusters - The Ongoing Battle in
    Lowly Parallel Computing, second edition, Prentice-Hall, 1998.

2. I. Foster and C. Kesselman, editors, The Grid - Blueprint
    for a New Computing Infrastructure, Morgan-Kaufmann, 1998.

3. D. Culler, J. Singh and A. Gupta, Parallel Computer
    Architecture - A Hardware/Software Approach, Morgan-Kaufmann, 1998.

4. G. C. Fox, R. D. Williams, and P. C. Messina, Parallel
    Computing Works!, Morgan-Kaufmann, 1994.

5. J. L. Hennessy and D. A. Patterson, Computer Architecture -
  A Quantitative Approach, second edition, Morgan-Kaufmann, 1996.

                           ---------