Subject: Addison-Wesley Book Announcements (fwd)

From: "M. A. Saleh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:51:36 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 15:56:03 -0500
From: Online Marketing <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Subject: Addison-Wesley Book Announcements
To: [email-masked]

This announcement is sent to all subscribers of the Addison-Wesley All
Subjects mailing list. To unsubscribe from the list please go to:
http://www.awl.com/cseng/mailinglists.shtml
________________________________________________________
What are the Best Computer Books of the 20th Century? YOU make the call!

As we close out this millennium and enter the next, it's time to honor those
books that have made the biggest impact in the field of computer science to
date. To vote, simply use our electronic ballot at http://www.bookballot.com

A random drawing from all entries will result in 100 winners who will each
receive a $100 gift certificate.
________________________________________________________

The following titles have just been published by the Addison-Wesley Computer
& Engineering Publishing Group, you may purchase our books at our online
bookstore: http://store.awl.com/catalog or at your local fine technical
bookstore.
________________________________________________________
Interconnections, Second Edition - Radia Perlman
Designing Wide Area Networks and Internetworks - J. Scott Marcus
Collaborative Web Development - Jessica Burdman
L2TP - Richard Shea
Developing Applications using Outlook 2000, CDO, Exchange, and Visual Basic
- Raffaele Piemonte, Scott Jamison
Extreme Programming Explained - Kent Beck
Programming Pearls, Second Edition - Jon Bentley
AGP System Architecture, Second Edition - MindShare, Inc., Dave Dzatko, Tom
Shanley
Computer Science: An Overview, 6th Edition - J. Glenn Brookshear
Introduction to Programming Using Java, Java 2 Update - David Arnow, Gerald
Weiss
Introduction to Database Systems, 7th Edition - C.J. Date
Fundamentals of Database Systems, 3rd Edition - Ramez Elmasri, Shamkant B.
Navathe
________________________________________________________

Interconnections, Second Edition: Bridges, Routers, Switches, and
Internetworking Protocols
Radia Perlman
0-201-63448-1
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-63448-1

Radia Perlman's Interconnections is recognized as a leading text on
networking theory and practice. It provides authoritative and comprehensive
information on general networking concepts, routing algorithms and
protocols, addressing, and the mechanics of bridges, routers, switches, and
hubs. This Second Edition is expanded and updated to cover the newest
developments in the field, including advances in switching and bridge
technology, VLANs, Fast Ethernet, DHCP, ATM, and IPv6. Additional new topics
include IPX, AppleTalk, and DECnet. You will gain a deeper understanding of
the range of solutions possible and find valuable information on protocols
for which documentation is not readily available elsewhere.
___________________________
Designing Wide Area Networks and Internetworks: A Practical Guide
J. Scott Marcus
0-201-69584-7
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-69584-7

Speedy, reliable, and secure communications are essential for maintaining an
organization's competitiveness, and Wide Area Networks and Internetworks are
quickly proliferating in order to meet this need. Building such a network,
however, can be a daunting task; a large investment is required, and
organizations must navigate through a dizzying array of technological and
design options. Designing Wide Area Networks and Internetworks clarifies
this complex task by outlining a top-down, step-by-step process for
constructing a WAN or internetwork that is effective for your organization.
This book will guide you through the steps of determining requirements,
designing the network structure, choosing appropriate technologies, and
evaluating results. The author's practical approach distills exactly what
you need to know about networking theory and technological background in
order to accomplish a given task.
___________________________
Collaborative Web Development: Strategies and Best Practices for Web Teams
Jessica Burdman
0-201-43331-1
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-43331-1

Written by a leader in Web development methodologies and processes,
Collaborative Web Development brings structure and sanity to what is often
an overwhelming and chaotic process. Drawing on the front-line experiences
of practicing professionals and numerous real-world case studies, the author
will help you get a handle on the issues and challenges you face, with
proven strategies for effective coordination among team members and clients,
a smooth development process, and a successful end result.
___________________________
L2TP: Implementation and Operation
Richard Shea
0-201-60448-5
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-60448-5

Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) has emerged as a key technology in the
construction of Virtual Private Networks. L2TP provides remote access
capabilities to organizations using public networks for internal, private
activities. It allows a corporation to retain the advantages of a private
network--privacy of communication, access control, and company
addressing--while reducing the need to invest heavily in networking
infrastructure.

L2TP: Implementation and Operation is an essential resource for anyone who
works with L2TP and Virtual Private Networks. Written for developers and
network managers, the book provides an overview of the protocol, a detailed
explanation of L2TP architecture, a step-by-step guide to its
implementation, and information on L2TP security and management.
___________________________
Developing Applications using Outlook 2000, CDO, Exchange, and Visual Basic
Raffaele Piemonte, Scott Jamison
0-201-61575-4
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-61575-4

Developing Applications using Outlook 2000, CDO, Exchange, and Visual Basic
offers an overview of the Microsoft collaborative landscape, and then
examines each element of that environment in detail. Numerous examples
showcase the applications made possible with these technologies and
demonstrate VBScript coding techniques. Written for IT developers who build
collaborative and workflow applications, this book provides a comprehensive
reference to working with Microsoft's powerful collaborative development
environment, including Outlook 2000, Exchange Server, Visual Basic, and the
Collaboration Data Objects (CDO) Library. It demonstrates ways in which
these technologies can be tied together into effective business
solutions--from small-scale groupware to large-scale enterprise-wide
systems.
___________________________
Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change
Kent Beck
0-201-61641-6
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-61641-6

Extreme Programming (XP) was conceived and developed to address the specific
needs of software development conducted by small teams in the face of vague
and changing requirements. This new lightweight methodology challenges many
conventional tenets, including the long-held assumption that the cost of
changing a piece of software necessarily rises dramatically over the course
of time. XP recognizes that projects have to work to achieve this reduction
in cost and exploit the savings once they have been earned. You may love XP,
or you may hate it, but Extreme Programming Explained will force you to take
a fresh look at how you develop software.
___________________________
Programming Pearls, Second Edition:
Jon Bentley
0-201-65788-0
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-65788-0

When programmers list their favorite books, Jon Bentley's collection of
programming pearls is commonly included among the classics. Just as natural
pearls grow from grains of sand that irritate oysters, programming pearls
have grown from real problems that have irritated real programmers. With
origins beyond solid engineering, in the realm of insight and creativity,
Bentley's pearls offer unique and clever solutions to those nagging
problems. Illustrated by programs designed as much for fun as for
instruction, the book is filled with lucid and witty descriptions of
practical programming techniques and fundamental design principles. It is
not at all surprising that Programming Pearls has been so highly valued by
programmers at every level of experience.
___________________________
AGP System Architecture, Second Edition:
MindShare, Inc., Dave Dzatko, Tom Shanley
0-201-70069-7
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-70069-7

AGP System Architecture, Second Edition includes all the essentials from the
first edition, but has been expanded and reorganized for even better
coverage. This comprehensive and concise book provides an overview of the
technology, a detailed description of the specification, a discussion of AGP
Pro, and a practical tutorial for mastering AGP. In particular, it focuses
on 3-D graphics and video-related applications most served by AGP. It also
provides a primer for the PCI bus protocol as background for a discussion on
AGP and analyzes the advantages of AGP over PCI for 3-D graphics.
___________________________
Computer Science: An Overview, 6th Edition
J. Glenn Brookshear
0-201-35747-X
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-35747-X

The sixth edition of this classic text for the breadth-first computer
science course has been thoroughly updated to discuss increasingly important
trends such as networking, object-oriented programming, and genetic
algorithms. Author and educator J. Glenn Brookshear continues to introduce
students to the discipline of computer science by providing accurate and
balanced coverage of CS as a whole and of a variety of CS topics, including
programming languages and artificial intelligence. This edition features new
sections on public key encryption, evolutionary programming and genetic
algorithms, as well as thoroughly revised sections on data manipulation,
operating systems and networking.
___________________________
Introduction to Programming Using Java, Java 2 Update
David Arnow and Gerald Weiss
0-201-61272-0
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-61272-0

This is an update of the only true "objects first" CS1 in Java book so that
it is now fully compatible with the latest version of the language: Java 2
(a.k.a. JDK 1.2, and formerly referred to as Java 1.2). The book uses
object-oriented concepts from the very beginning - classes, objects, and
messages are introduced in Chapter 1 - and develops them throughout. The
authors also provide an early introduction to testing, covering test
drivers, debugging, and test case selection.
___________________________
Introduction to Database Systems, 7th Edition
C.J. Date
0-201-38590-2
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-38590-2

The release of this new edition of An Introduction to Database Systems
coincides with the 25th Anniversary of its initial publication.  The seventh
edition continues to focus on the hallmark feature of its previous editions:
providing a solid grounding in the foundations of database technology and
giving some ideas of how the field is likely to develop in the future.
Emphasizing insight and understanding rather than formal theory, Chris Date
has divided the book into six parts: Basic Concepts, The Relational Model,
Database Design, Transaction Management, Further Topics, and Object and
Object/Relational Databases. This comprehensive introduction to databases,
written by a leader in the field, has been thoroughly revised to reflect the
latest developments and advances in the field of database systems.
___________________________
Fundamentals of Database Systems, 3rd Edition
Ramez Elmasri and Shamkant B. Navathe
0-8053-1755-4
http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-8053-1755-4

Responding to the requests of database professors nationwide, the leading
textbook for the introductory database management course is being fully
revised in time for the start of Fall 1999 classes. Fundamentals of Database
Systems, Third Edition is updated to reflect the latest developments in
database research and practice. It combines clear explanations of theory and
real systems, broad coverage of modeling and design of databases, and
excellent examples with up-to-date introductions to modern database
technology.
________________________________________________________

Join us at the 3rd Annual Atlanta Linux Showcase, October 14-16, 1999 at the
Cobb Galleria Centre! Visit Addison-Wesley in Booth #205. For more
information, go to http://www.awl.com/cseng/tradeshows.shtml

All Addison Wesley Longman titles are available at a discount for bulk
purchases by corporations, organizations, institutions, and the government.
To place an order or to inquire about further information please contact the
Addison Wesley Longman Corporate, Government, and Special Sales Department.
Phone: 1-800-238-9682 Fax: 781-942-1621 or via e-mail: [email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>

If you are interested in adopting our books for a class, please visit our
sales representatives page at: http://www.awlonline.com/RepLocator