Subject: VPL questions (CPS615)

From: "Chiarito, Vincent P WES" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:56:32 -0600

Saleh,

I noticed when I tried to upload a file from my PC to VPL (using the upload
file button) that the file appeared to upload and showed up in a window
(apparently a VPL window). But, there did not appear to be anyway to save
the file after uploading (no command buttons appeared on the window in which
the file was listed), nor was the file listed in my directory.  The way I
got a file to my directory (from my PC) in VPL was to click on my file in a
windows explorer window and simply drag it to my VPL file manager window.
Then the file showed up as uploaded and the name of the file was listed in
my directory.  Is there something wrong with the way I tried to use the
upload file command? Or is the was I did get a file to my directory the
easiest?
Also, when I entered a file name for the output file(under mpi session)it
did not seem to like my choice (e.g. chw2.out) I noticed that the results
(in this case the answer to the numerical integration using the sequential
code) were dumped into a file called execute.log instead of a file name I
give.  Curious.  And the execute.log file was not put in the same directory
as the compiled source code, e.g., seqch2.c (in directory hw2). Thanks.

Vince Chiarito

---

From: "Chiarito, Vincent P WES" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:22:00 -0600

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.
 I'm not sure why you say most of my code is not correct (in seqchw2.c I
have not implemented the mpi calls - it is only the sequential code, and it
did compile successfully and gives the correct result).  I have not finished
implementing mpi calls in mpichw2.c 9which is the mpi code).  I did notice
that after I logged out and returned to file manager that the output file,
e.g. chw2, was accepted.  Now I see that the refreshing is done by logging
in and returning to file manager.

-----Original Message-----
From: Saleh Elmohamed [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 5:17 PM
To: Chiarito, Vincent P WES
Cc: Geoffrey Fox; Nancy McCracken; 'Zheng, Qiang'
Subject: Re: VPL questions (CPS615)

A quick answer: 

No refresh button in the window manager so will need to click
on the red button "LOGOUT" to exit the manager and then return
to it and you should see your 'uploaded' file it there along with
the rest.

No problem with your choice of output name... Most your
code is not quite correct otherwise output should go to whatever
file you specify there. If you don't specify any it should just
appear on a separate window.

Hope that helps.

-Saleh