Subject: ORS Local Search Group Meeting

From: Andrew Tuson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 12:40:21 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Details of the next ORS local search study group meeting are below.

Please feel free to pass this onto anyone who is interested.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Andrew Tuson MA(Oxon) MSc(Edin) GRSC - Email: [email-masked]

Lecturer, Department of Computing, City University, London, UK.

*****

Joint meeting of ORS Local Search Study Group and MORS

Time:	Wed March 8, 1800

Place:	Room N433, Coventry University

	Map of campus on http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/contact/findus.html

Title:	A Family of Stochastic Methods For Constraint Satisfaction and 
	Optimisation

Speaker:	Professor Edward Tsang, Essex University

Abstract: 

Professor Tsang and his colleagues have been working on novel
combinations of constraint satisfaction, metaheuristics and
connectionist methods for solving complex OR problems.

In this talk, he will discuss the solution of constraint
satisfaction and optimisation problems using Guided Local 
Search -- a class of computation models first developed with 
hardware implementation in mind, then extended to meta-heuristics  
based on penalty methods in OR. He will also describe extensions
that combine Guided Local Search with ideas taken from the area of
genetic algorithms. Finally, he will outline ways in which these
techniques have been used to solve non-trivial real-world problems,
including their incorporation in ILOG Dispatcher, a commercial 
package for vehicle routing.