Subject: More on austerity measures

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:46:35 -0400

As you have seen in several easlier messages, we are taking steps to
reduce operating costs within NPAC and, just as important, to minimize
surprises (i.e. charges we didn't anticipate) as we wind down
operations.  We're trying to do this in a way that has a minimal
impact on NPAC's work, but some inconveniences are inevitable.  Please
bear with us.

To that end, three items:

1) Please use overnight services (FedEx, UPS) thoughtfully.  These
   charges have not been excessive, but are non-trivial.  Please use
   them only for business purposes, and only if overnight delivery is
   really needed.  

   If you want to use overnight services for personal business, I
   highly recommend UPS.  From the drop box outside the first-floor
   entrance to CST, you can obtain envelopes and forms that allow you to
   charge the costs to your credit card.  I've used it and it works
   perfectly.

2) We are closing our account with Barnes and Noble. Book purchases
   can be reimbursed, but only if there is a clear and direct need for
   a specific project.  Please notify me IN ADVANCE of all planned
   purchases.  GRAs should work through your project leader, who should
   notify me.

3) We will no longer buy coffee supplies.  Existing supplies will
   either be used until they're gone or returned to the vendor for credit.
   This includes coffee, creamer, sugar, paper cups, etc.  We will try to
   keep the coffee maker here as long as possible, so it will be possible
   for people to bring in their own coffee & such if desired.

If you have any questions, or any suggestions for other ways to
control costs, please see me.

Thanks for your cooperation, David
--
David E. Bernholdt                      | Email:  [email-masked]
Northeast Parallel Architectures Center | Phone:  +1 315 443 3857
111 College Place, Syracuse University  | Fax:    +1 315 443 1973
Syracuse, NY 13244-4100                 | URL:    http://www.npac.syr.edu

---

From: David Warner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 18:47:23 -0400 (EDT)

david

i am assuming that the cost of my program (with the anoying exception of
the phone) are being covered by my darpa contract.....

right???

thanks  ....

davew

Dave Warner MD
Medical Neuroscientist
Dir. Medical Intelligence
MindTel
[email-masked]
www.pulsar.org