Subject: Desktop access to remote resources, SC98 BoF Follow-up

From: Paul Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 07:25:19 -0500 (EST)

Datorr participants,

In reference to the BoF on DATORR this past week, I would like to say that
the very open discussion on the aspects which are of importance (and
perhaps not of importance) led to a very productive discussion of topics. 

I'd like to begin an open discussion relating to aspects of datorr of
particular interest to aspects of resource management in such an
environment.  To be forthcoming -- my research in this area has focused on
dynamic "merging" and "splitting" of virtual machines and the portrayal
of this nomadic environment to users and concurrent processes.  My feeling
is that the host pool model for Datorr might be somewhat dynamic in
configuration.  For example, I envision situations where computational
resources are entering and leaving the resource space while perhaps
a coherent, stable view of the resources is presented to users.  I see
other situations too, which do *not* fit this model, therefore:

   I would *not* like to say that I endorse this model for Datorr!  

However, in the spirit of the dialog which was started at Argonne and
continued at the BoF, I would like to engage those interested in a further
discussions about such topics.  The first question would be one that was
posed several times recently, "Is this idea something that is of interest
and worthy of further discussion?" 

Regards,

Paul Gray
[email-masked] 		
Math/Computer Science Department
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 

150 North Decatur Building
1784 N. Decatur Rd.
Atlanta, GA  30322