Subject: General Availability of Colt V1.0.0

From: Wolfgang Hoschek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 19:29:00 +0200

This is to announce the General Availability of the Colt V1.0.0
distribution.

The major new feature of this release are

-     Powerful, extendible and performant histogram abstractions for the
statistical study of experimental data
-     Matrix functionality and performance improvements, including
parallel implementations

Check out the online documentation and/or download at
http://nicewww.cern.ch/~hoschek/colt/index.htm

Please find Release Notes at
http://nicewww.cern.ch/~hoschek/colt/V1.0.0/doc/cern/colt/doc-files/relnotes.html

Scope
=====
The Colt distribution provides an open source infrastructure for
scalable scientific and technical computing in Java. It contains, among
others, efficient and usable data structures and algorithms for Off-line
and On-line Data Analysis, Linear Algebra, Multi-dimensional arrays,
Statistics, Histogramming, Monte Carlo Simulation, Parallel & Concurrent
Programming. 
             
Contents
========
The Colt distribution consists of several free Java libraries, for user
convenience bundled under one single uniform umbrella. 

The Colt library provides fundamental general-purpose data structures
optimized for numerical data, such as resizable arrays, dense and sparse
matrices (multi-dimensional arrays), linear algebra, associative
containers and buffer
management. 

The Jet library contains mathematical and statistical tools for data
analysis, powerful histogramming functionality, Random Number Generators
and Distributions useful for (event) simulations, and more. 

The JAL library, a partial port of the C++
Standard Template Library developed by Silicon Graphics, contains a wide
range of efficiently coded general-purpose algorithms
on arrays. 

The RngPack library contains random number generators. The CoreJava
library contains C-like print formatting.

The Concurrent library contains standardized, efficient utility classes
commonly encountered in parallel & concurrent programming.

Finally, the VNI library contains mathematical functions and complex
numbers.

Regards,
Wolfgang Hoschek.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wolfgang Hoschek     | e-mail: [email-masked]
CERN IT Division     | phone:  +41 (22) 767 8089
European Laboratory  | fax:    +41 (22) 767 7155 
for Particle Physics | home:   http://www.cern.ch/CERN/Divisions/EP/HL
----------------------------------------------------------------------