Subject: How's it going?

From: Fred Dushin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:06:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Saleh,

How are things?  Kirk called to tell me he (accidentally) cashed
my last month's rent, so he mailed me back my security deposit.
He told me he found some tenants for July 1.  What's up?

I am set up here with cable modem service.  It's fairly impressive,
speedwise.  Using X11 remotely works fine, as well as a 10base-T
network, at any rate.  My machine even has a domain name --
fadushin.ne.mediaone.net.  Pretty cool, huh?  I haven't figured
out whether I'll make the laptop a gateway with IP multicasting
or whether I'll just put the mac on the network -- they only
let one ethernet card talk to the cable modem, and it's
determined by the MAC address.  So if I cnage to the mac
I'll have to call them or something.  We'll see.

Did any checks arrive for me?  I'm going to need those, but I
can pick them up next week when I come out.  Probably Thursday
some time in the early afternoon.  Is there still room if I
need a place to stay Thursday night?

Did Cidny have her child yet?

-Fred

PS.  All my email is going to ecs.syr.edu now.  The blackcat
address is broken (stupid SGI)

-- 
Fred Dushin                                mailto:[email-masked]
                                           http://www.cis.syr.edu/~fadushin

---

From: Fred Dushin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:46:17 -0400 (EDT)

> Kirk didn't cash your check accidentlly; he actually wanted to do that
> way so that as he put it to me 'with cashing it, there is a record that
> the amount was received' ... Anyway, he asked me and wrote him a check for

Funny.  He didn't tell me that.  What do you to bet there is some
tax scam going on there?  Sleezeball.

> It is certainly nice to have your own domain. Why the heck they
> only allow one interface to cable modem? Sounds like the
> folks of roadrunner... :) How they're charging?

They charge $40/mo + $10/mo to rent the cable modem.  It's $30/mo
for the first 3 months, though.  I decided not to buy the cable modem
myself, since i) they are going to change them by the end of the
year, and 2) it doesn't seem worth it.  I may decide to buy one
eventually.  We'll see.

> If I'm around you are welcome to stay Thursday night. If I'm not 
> around I'll leave your mail with Christophe or with Noah and Cid. 

That would be good.  Let me know with whom you leave the stuff.

---

From: Fred Dushin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:38:20 -0400 (EDT)

> Say, I'm thinking to do some strawberry picking this weekend.
> I think the beginning of June is the right time to do that. 
> I have done it only once long time ago where me and bunch of 
> other CIS guys drove west toward Auburn area ...
> Anyway, do you have any suggestion about any good place(s) to go
> for picking. I'm sure you've done it quite a bit... Thanks for any 
> good pointers or suggestion on how to  get there, etc.

I think Hafner's out in Baldwinsville is a good place to go.
They are right near Beaver Lake.

-F