Subject: Rumors?

From: Geoffrey Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:57:46 -0400

So there are rumors that I am leaving and although there is a granule of truth buried here, 
this is an inaccurate rumor. There are at least 3 possible futures for NPAC
1) Stay roughly as is.
2) Commercialize large parts of it.
3) Move NPAC to another institution.

I consider NPAC a fine organization (administrative, systems, research staff and 
students) and am very proud of it. Thus I am considering no options that do not 
essentially preserve it. So when (as people are wont to do), I am asked if I would like to 
move, I say that I will only consider options where NPAC and its spin-off companies are 
part of "the package". I note that the opportunities in areas where NPAC works are very 
exciting in many places outside Syracuse.
I would consider options 2) and 3) above as the most likely futures for NPAC and I am 
pro-actively pursuing 2). I will explore interesting opportunities of type 3) if they emerge.
I do not expect significant changes (in any scenario) for a year or so. I am committed to 
the success and concerns of everybody at NPAC and will keep you informed of any 
significant developments. In both options 2) and 3), the opportunities for new Syracuse 
students with NPAC is likely to decline. However I intend to honor all commitments to 
existing students at any level.
As an indication of my current intentions, I am putting substantial funds into major new 
PC and Sun hardware infrastructure. I am not planning to leave.
If anybody has particular issues, please feel free to talk to me

I thank you for your dedicated work that has created NPAC's current excellent
reputation internationally
Geoffrey