Subject: Methodology Day

From: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 21:33:26 -0400

http://www.cs.amherst.edu/~dsj/methday.html
5th DIMACS Challenge Workshop: Experimental Methodology Day

Wednesday, October 30, 1996, DIMACS Building, Rutgers University

This website contains the record of materials prepared
for the above workshop, as well as prelimary drafts of articles on
experimental methodology that will appear in the proceedings of the
5th DIMACS Challenge workshop. The proceedings will be published by
the American Mathematical Society in their series of DIMACS volumes,
and should appear in late 1999 or early 2000.

Talk Schedule

Abstracts

Richard Anderson: "Algorithmic Experiments: Good, Bad, and Ugly"
(text).

Roberto Battiti: "Machine Learning Methods for Parameter Tuning in Heuristics"
(text).

Andrew Goldberg: "What to Solve: Problems for Algorithm Evaluation"
(text).

David Johnson: "Do's and Don'ts in the Experimental Analysis of Algorithms"
(text).

Irv Lustig: "Report from the War Zone: Reflections on Past Experiments"
(text).

Bernard Moret: "Towards a Discipline of Experimental Algorithmics"
(text).

Draft Position Paper

Mike Goodrich: "Application-Motivated Themes for Computational Geometry"
(html). This is
a position statement prepared for a June 1995 Workshop on Strategic Directions in
Computing Research.

Draft Proceedings Papers

Bernard Moret: "Towards a Discipline of Experimental Algorithmics"
(13 postscript pages).

Richard Anderson: "The role of experiment in the theory of algorithms"
(5 postscript pages). This is a preliminary draft.

David Johnson: "A theoretician's guide to the experimental analysis of algorithms"
(7 postscript pages).
This is a preliminary draft.

Catherine McGeoch: "A bibliography of algorithm experimentation"
(7 postscript pages).
This is a preliminary draft.

Author Instructions

Instructions from AMS on preparing your manuscript (text).

This page is maintained by

C.C. McGeoch, who can be reached at

[email-masked] and

David Johnson, who can be
reached at
[email-masked]

Up to DIMACS Challenge Workshop Page