Subject: Re: projects/webtech

From: Wojtek Furmanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:58:18 -0500

sorry, I was busy with something else which I just finished and I'm coming
back to the book and cdrom issues

some quick updates/comments:
a) as for 'examples', I think my students could contribute some others
   for technologies such as ASP, VBS/VBA, COM, XML, DHMTL etc.
   Not clear if/how do we want to merge cps616 with other such examples?
b) I hear from Hasan that he developed a tiny web server loaded with
   all XML/DOM/XSL/RDF etc. goodies and examples - so I think this should
   be featured as some standalone hands-on XML tutorial. I would expect we
   will be able to develop soon a similar UML tutorial. 
c) re keeping single copies of everything vs keeping it all integrated -
   perhaps we try to build a little data warehouse with xml metadata
   records (in RDF?) for all cdrom components including base info and
   pointers to the actual (distributed) location of various materials?
   Then we could have one XSL to generate HTML navigation pages, another
   XSL to build the actual CDROM content etc. - and make such a warehouse
   part of the book as one of examples.
 
On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Nancy McCracken wrote:

> 
> I didn't hear back from people about the plan I proposed.  Is this o.k.?
> 
> http://www.npac.syr.edu/users/njm/webtech
> 
> I thought of another example of stuff that we don't want multiple
> copies of, so we can keep them up-to-date, the .ppt files.  There are
> copies of the .ppt files of the talks in the book materials.  We also
> need to agree on one place where we keep the .ppt files, I think.
> Maybe they should stay in a standard place in users/gcf and get linked
> to the book and the classes from there.  The CDROM script would know
> to copy stuff from users/gcf.
> 
> Nancy
>