Subject: CPS 615 projects...

From: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:48:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Are you all set with the projects? If you have not already done so,
you'll need to choose a topic (preferably of interest to you) to do your
class project on.

-Saleh

---

From: "Chiarito, Vincent P WES" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:42:51 -0500

Subject: CPS 615 projects...

I wish to choose as my project that which is related to my write up for
assignment 1.  Basically, it involves parallelizing a data processing
technique for computing frequency domain parameters from time domain data.
A single array of data (vector) is developed from digitally measured
acceleration values (amplitudes) acquired at a constant rate (i.e., each
amplitude is separated by the same increment of time).  Thus, there are N
vectors if there were N accelerometers used to record data. The data that
was recorded is from an vibration experiment monitoring the ambient motions
of a five-story building. The issues of the project relate to scalebility
for efficiency.  The data processing task for each channel of data is
assigned to its own processor for the parallel computation.  This would be
compared to the straightfoward sequential code.  The data processing
involves choosing time blocks to perform averaging of FFT calculations.  The
number of data points can range from a few thousand to a few million.  The
FFT calculations are used to estimate autospectral density functions (ASD
functions).  Peaks in the ASD functions identify potential natural
frequencies (eigenvalues) and the relative amplitudes at these peaks between
each channel provides estimates of mode shape vectors (eigenvectors)  I
propose to use two different machines here at ERDC for comparison (two
different memory types): the ORIGIN 2000 vs. the IBM SP.  I'll submit a more
detailed description by email tomorrow.  Depending on the access to carver I
may have it posted by tomorrow as well on my home page.

Regards,

Vince Chiarito

---

From: "Freeman, Reed B WES" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:12:26 -0500

Thanks, Saleh.  I will use more processors and I'll beef up the analysis.

You guys always answer email.  Don't you ever go home?

- Reed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Saleh Elmohamed [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 6:12 PM
To: Freeman, Reed B WES
Cc: Geoffrey Fox
Subject: RE: CPS 615 projects...

Reed,

Looked at your proposal. Try if possible to increase the number of
processors, to let say 6, and if network/system not that busy try it on 8.
If that is not possible then that will be fine.

In addition to timings, give some more analysis to your results.

Looks good.

-Saleh

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Freeman, Reed B WES wrote:

> Saleh:
> 
> I posted a proposal on my class website this past Monday.  Does that mean
I
> have a topic and can begin work (which I have done)?  Or should I be
waiting
> for approval?  Just wondering - seems Rebecca Faherty got feedback
already.
> 
> Thanks,
> Reed. 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Saleh Elmohamed [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 11:48 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Geoffrey Fox

---

From: "rmlau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:46:34 -0400

I still have to choose one. When was the proposal suppose to be set? There is no mention of deadline on the webpage. I will link it soon.

- Ron Lau

Sent by AcmeCity Mail