Subject: Odysseus 2000 - Conference Announcement

From: "Tore Gruenert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:24:52 +0100

Dear colleagues, this mail was sent as a html-version by mistake 
yesterday. I apologize for the inconvenience!

Here's the conference www-page, if you would like to checkt it out 
directly:

www.or.rwth-aachen.de/odysseus/odysseus.html

Regards, 

   Tore Grünert

----------------------------------------------------------

            -- Call for Papers --

     First International Workshop on 
   Freight Transportation and Logistics

Chania, Crete, Greece, May 23-26, 2000

Organized by RWTH Aachen and CRT Montreal

Odysseus 2000 is the first international workshop on freight 
transportation and logistics. On his way back from Troy to 
Ithaca, Odysseus had to manage transportation of both his 
soldiers and stolen goods. He was not very successful in terms 
of quality (missed deadlines, lost freight) - but always managed 
to survive. Survival in the global competitive markets of today 
require different skills. The transportation business is becoming 
increasingly quality and cost oriented. As a consequence, 
sophisticated, integrated hard- and software is essential in the 
management of freight transportation systems. This workshop is 
dedicated to software, algorithms, and strategies for such 
systems. The aim of the workshop is to bring together 
practitioners and researchers who study and implement solutions 
to management problems from one or several of the topics: 

TransportationNetwork Design 
Fleetand Crew Management 
SupplyChain Optimization 
IntelligentTransportation Systems for Logistics and Freight 
Transportation 

All presentations will be plenary, which limits the number of 
presentations to about 50. This policy should allow discussions 
during and after the presentations and encourage an active 
participation, which is not possible at larger conferences. An 
important goal of the workshop should be not only to know 
what others do, but to foster new collaborations and joint 
projects. We, therefore, encourage the presentation of ongoing 
projects and recent results. Moreover, the workshop is intended 
as a forum for exchange of experience and results from practical 
projects, development of algorithms, and implementation of 
software.

Abstract Submission:
Presentations will be chosen and grouped according to extended 
abstracts. The length of the extended abstracts should be 
between two and three pages. All abstracts will be reviewed by 
the international program committee. A special issue of an 
international journal will be devoted to refereed full papers from 
the workshop.
The deadline for the submission of extended abstracts is 
October 1, 1999. All abstracts should be submitted 
electronically using the conference www-page.
 
Workshop Chairmen: 
Teodor Crainic (CRT), Hans-Jürgen Sebastian (RWTH), 
Chairmen

International Program Committee: 
Cynthia Barnhart (MIT) 
Pierre Dejax (Nantes) 
Jacques Desrosiers (Montreal) 
Bernhard Fleischmann (Augsburg) 
Dorit Hochbaum (Berkeley) 
Herbert Kopfer (Bremen) 
Leo Kroon (Utrecht) 
Martine Labbe (Brussels) 
Gilbert Laporte (Montreal) 
Aristide Mingozzi (Bologna) 
Warren B. Powell (Princeton) 
Martin L. Puterman (Vancouver) 
Jean-Marc Rousseau (Montreal) 
Maria Grazia Speranza (Brescia) 
Paolo Toth (Bologna) 

Organizing Committee:
Tore Grünert (RWTH),
Michel Gendreau (CRT)
George Dounias (Technical University of Crete)

Important Dates and Deadlines:
Pre-Registration:starting now! (will keep you informed) 
Submissionof extended abstracts: from August 1 to 
October 1, 1999 
Notificationof Acceptance: December 1, 1999 
EarlyRegistration: from October 1, 1999 to January 23, 
2000 

Accomodation: The conference will take place at the 
Orthodox Academy of Crete. The Academy is a modern 
Conference Center situated in an exceptionally beautiful location 
only meters from the sea. The academy is about 22 kilometers 
from the city of Chania and 37 kilometers from its international 
airport.. The city of Chania is famous for its Old Town and 
Venetian Harbor and is a popular tourist attraction in Crete. The 
island of Crete has a rich historical heritage dating back to the 
Antique.

More Information: 

www.or.rwth-aachen.de/odysseus/odysseus.html

Contact:

Teodor Gabriel Crainic: [email-masked]
Michel Gendreau: [email-masked]
Tore Grünert: [email-masked]
Hans-Jürgen Sebastian: [email-masked]

----------------------------------------
Dr. Tore Gruenert
Operations Research
RWTH Aachen
Templergraben 55
D-52056 Aachen
Germany

e-mail: [email-masked]
fax:   + 49 241 8888168
phone: + 49 241 806187
----------------------------------------