Subject: CP-AI-OR'00: Call for Participation

From: Stefan Karisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 20:57:12 +0100 (MET)

(Apologies if you receive this message more than once.)

     ************************************************************

                       CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

      CP-AI-OR'00: Second International Workshop on Integration
          of AI and OR techniques in Constraint Programming
               for Combinatorial Optimization Problems

                         March, 8 - 10, 2000

             University of Paderborn, Paderborn, Germany

     ************************************************************

                           Sponsored by:
                  Commission of the European Union
              Paderborn Center for Parallel Computing

                        In cooperation with:
                 German Informatics Society (GI)
              German Operations Research Society (GOR)

The integration of techniques from both Operations Research (OR) and
Artificial Intelligence (AI) provides a new paradigm for solving
difficult combinatorial optimization problems. As demonstrated by work
in scheduling, rostering, vehicle routing, and other problems,
constraint programming (CP) provides a powerful means for doing
successful integrations of this kind. Nowadays, most industrial CP
tools and systems have integrated efficient special purpose techniques
from OR for improving problem solving facilities.

In February 1999, the Universities of Bologna and Ferrara (Italy)
organized the workshop CP-AI-OR'99 and brought together about 60
researchers from AI and OR to discuss integration issues. In order to
continue this successful event, the second workshop on integration of
AI and OR techniques in CP will be held at the University of Paderborn
(Germany) from March 8-10, 2000.

The aim of the workshop is to bring together interested researchers
from AI and OR and to make this the major forum for exchanging ideas
and methodologies from both fields. During the workshop ample time will
be allocated for discussion. For instance, a panel discussion with the
title "Hybrid AI/CP/OR methods: What are the next challenges?" is
planned during the workshop.

This year a special session will focus on airline planning and
scheduling problems, since the workshop is organized by the European
research project PARROT (Parallel Crew Rostering with CP and OR
techniques).

INVITED PRESENTATIONS

   * Peter Brucker, University of Osnabrueck
     Scheduling and Constraint Propagation

   * Pascal van Hentenryck, University of Louvain
     OPL: A modeling language for mathematical and constraint
     programming

   * George Nemhauser, Georgia Institute of Technology
     Optimization in Airline Scheduling

ACCEPTED PAPERS

   * B. De Backer, V. Furnon, P. Shaw
     A Lightweight Addition to CP Frameworks for Improved Local Search

   * J.C. Beck, L. Perron
     Discrepancy-Bounded Depth First Search

   * K. Brockmann, I. Rieping
     Solving the Capacitated Lot Sizing Problem in Flexible Flow Line
     Environments by a Parallel Tabu Search Algorithm

   * A. Chabrier
     Using Constraint Programming Search Goals to describe Column
     Generation Search Procedures

   * U. Dorndorf, E. Pesch, T. Phan-Huy
     Branch and Propagate in Open Shop Scheduling

   * T. Fahle, M. Sellmann
     Constraint Programming Based Column Generation with Knapsack
     Subproblems

   * F. Foccaci, A. Lodi, M. Milano
     Cutting Planes in Constraint Programming: an hybrid approach

   * F. Focacci, W. Nuijten
     A Constraint Propagation Algorithm for Scheduling with Sequence
     Dependent Setup Times

   * P. Galinier, J.-K. Hao
     A General Approach for Constraint Solving by Local Search

   * M.J. Huguet, P. Lopez
     Constraint Propagation Rules for Mixed Disjunctive Task Scheduling,
     and Resource Assignment Problems

   * U. Junker
     Preference-based Search for Scheduling

   * G. Kliewer
     Integrating Market Modeling and Fleet Assignment

   * S. Knust
     Scheduling a Single Robot in a Job-Shop Environment

   * N. Kohl
     Application of OR and CP Techniques in a Real World Crew Scheduling
     System

   * D.C. Mattfeld
     A Hierarchical Decomposition Approach to a Location Allocation
     Problem

   * C. Morelli, L.V. Toscani
     An experiment on mixing GRASP and HBSS to solve MAX-SAT instances

   * A. Neumaier, H. Schichl
     GLOPT-2: A Deterministic Constrained Global Optimization Package

   * G. Ottosson, E.S. Thorsteinsson
     Linear Relaxations and Reduced-Cost Based Propagation of Continuous
     Variable Subscripts

   * P. Refalo
     Linear Formulation of Constraint Programming Models

   * L.-M. Rousseau, G. Pesant, M. Gendreau
     A Hybrid Algorithm to solve a Physician Rostering Problem

   * M. Schmelzer
     Car sequencing with flexis APS automative planning system

   * M. Sellmann, K. Zervoudakis, P. Stamatopoulos, T. Fahle
     Integrating Direct CP Search and CP-based Column Generation for the
     Airline Crew Assignment Problem

   * P. Torres, P. Lopez
     Extension of shaving techniques for large job-shops

WORKSHOP SITE

Paderborn is located in Westphalia, Germany. It is a city with a long
and rich history, dating back 1200 years.

In recent times, the development of Nixdorf computers has led to
intense local activity in computer science. The Paderborn Center of
Parallel Computing (PC2), with research focused on parallelism in
operations research, applied mathematics, and virtual reality,
enhances this activity.  In addition, the world's largest computer
museum is located next door to the workshop site.

The Paderborn airport (PAD) can be easily reached from Frankfurt,
Amsterdam, Munich, Paris, and London.

SOCIAL EVENTS

On Wednesday a reception will be held in the Hall of Mirrors of the
Renaissance chateau Schloss Neuhaus, built in the 16th-18th centuries
and which long served the Paderborn princebishops as a residence.
The chateau is in walking distance of the conference site.

On Thursday there will be a banquet dinner. The lunches will be served
at Cafetria of the Heinz Nixdorf Museum Forum (next door to the workshop

site), which is the world's largest computer museum. You will have the
opportunity to visit the museum. Tickets are included in the
registration fee.

REGISTRATION

The registration form is available at

     http://www.uni-paderborn.de/~CP-AI-OR/registration.html

or can be requested by sending an email to [email-masked]

The registration fee is 290 DEM (= 150 EUR or 150 USD)
for early registration before February 10, 2000,
and 350 DEM ( =180 EUR or 180 USD) after this date.
The registration fee includes

   * Conference documents, the workshop proceedings, all coffee breaks

   * Lunches on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and entrance ticket to
     Heinz Nixdorf Museum Forum

   * Reception on Wednesday in the Hall of Mirrors of the Chateau
     Schloss Neuhaus

   * Banquet dinner on Thursday

TRAVEL INFORMATION

Flight information of the Paderborn airport (PAD) can be accessed via

     http://www.flughafen-paderborn-lippstadt.de/

Information about accomodation can be found at

     http://www.uni-paderborn.de/~CP-AI-OR/hotels.html

Hotels in walking distance to the workshop site are:

     Best Western Hotel Arosa
     Hotel Ibis
     Galerie-Hotel Abdinghof
     Hotel Stadthaus

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS

   * Ulrich Junker, Ilog
   * Stefan Karisch, Carmen Systems
   * Stefan Tschoeke, University of Paderborn

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

   * Christian Bessiere, CNRS Montpellier
   * Alexander Bockmayr, University of Nancy
   * Peter Brucker, University of Osnabrueck
   * Jens Clausen, Technical University of Denmark
   * Michel Gendreau, University of Montreal
   * Matthew Ginsberg, University of Oregon
   * Costas Halatsis, University of Athens
   * Pascal van Hentenryck, University of Louvain
   * John Hooker, Carnegie Mellon University
   * Niklas Kohl, Carmen Systems
   * Francois Laburthe, Bouygues
   * Michela Milano, University of Bologna
   * Burkhard Monien, University of Paderborn
   * George Nemhauser, Georgia Institute of Technology
   * Jean-Francois Puget, Ilog
   * Paolo Toth, University of Bologna
   * Mark Wallace, Imperial College
   * Toby Walsh, University of York

LOCAL ORGANIZATION

   * Stefan Tschoeke
   * Silvia Goetz
   * Sven Grothklags
   * Torsten Fahle
   * Georg Kliewer
   * Meinolf Sellmann

WORKSHOP ADDRESS

CP-AI-OR'00
c/o Stefan Tschoeke
University of Paderborn
Fuerstenallee 11
33102 Paderborn - Germany
e-mail: [email-masked]

IMPORTANT DATES

   * Early registration deadline .............. Feb   10, 1999
   * CP-AI-OR'00 .............................. Mar 8-10, 2000

FURTHER INFORMATION

Please consult the web site of CP-AI-OR'00:

     http://www.uni-paderborn.de/CP-AI-OR

CONTACT ADDRESSES

Stefan Tschoeke        Stefan E. Karisch      Ulrich Junker
Univ. of Paderborn     Carmen Systems AB      Ilog S.A.
Fuerstenallee 11       Odinsgatan 9           1681, route des Dolines
D-33102 Paderborn      S-41103 Gothenburg     F-06560 Valbonne
[email-masked]   [email-masked]      [email-masked]