Subject: DO's Logistics

From: "Peter L. Hammer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:13:23 +0005

Dear DO'ers:

Most of our previous mailings about DO'99 concerned minor matters 
like lectures, publications, schedules, etc.  It is time now to turn 
to the major issues of the workshop, e.g., meals, parking, etc.  Here 
is a list of some of those truly important items you should be aware 
of.

1.  ARRIVAL TO  DO'99:  
     A.  In principle, one can get to RUTCOR by using any of 
the following airports:  Newark, J.F. Kennedy, LaGuardia, 
Philadelphia.  However, Newark is by far the closest of them and, 
therefore, the most popular.  Shuttle service is also best from 
Newark, but is also available from Kennedy.  You can find detaileld 
information on how to get to RUTCOR or the University Inn on our 
website   http://rutcor.rutgers.edu/~do99

    B.  If you have a reservation at the University Inn, proceed 
directly there.  If you arrive after 21:00, you will have to ring 
the bell to have someone let you in.   

   C.  Those who have reservations at the Silver Apartments, which 
are in the immediate vicinity of the RUTCOR building,  will have to 
come first to RUTCOR to pick up their keys. The reception desk willl 
be open on Saturday, July 24th, from 12:00 until 23:00, and from 
8:30 until 20:30 on Sunday.  

    D.  If you get lost or have to get in touch with us, please 
call 1-732-445-3041 (or just 445-3041 if calling locally) on Saturday 
or Sunday between the hours mentioned above.

2.  REGISTRATION:  
     We will be open for registration on Saturday between 16:00 and  
22:00, and on Sunday from 13:00 on.    

3.  CURRENCY:
       For people coming from abroad, we strongly recommend 
exchanging currency before arriving to RUTCOR.  You can do this 
either in your country or at the departure or arrival airports.  
Also, credit cards and U.S. dollar denominated  travelers' checks 
are perfectly useable here.

4.  MEALS:	
    A.  Breakfast:  Those registered at the University Inn will have 
breakfast at the Inn from 7:30.   Those staying at the Silver 
Apartments will have a continental breakfast available at RUTCOR from 
8:00.  The only exception is on Sunday, when we shall have the 
continental breakfast at RUTCOR from 8:30 until 10:00.

    B.  Lunch:  During the week, participants can get lunch at the 
Busch Campus Student Center or the Davidson Dining Hall.  Both are 
within walking distance from RUTCOR.   Since the kitchens on 
campus are closed on Sundays, we shall have a minivan available at 
RUTCOR from 11:00 until 14:00, to take those who want to go downtown 
New Brunswick for lunch.

    C.  Dinner:  A list of restaurants in the New Brunswick area is 
available on the web page.  However, a small list of close-by 
restaurants will also be available at the registration desk.    A bus 
will be available evenings after the last session, to take 
participants downtown to restaurants, shopping, etc.  The same bus 
will continue from downtown to the University Inn.  We can make 
arrangements to pick up in the minivan small groups of participants 
from downtown to the campus.  

5.  LOCAL TRANSPORTATION:  
    A.  It is very useful to have a car in New Jersey, and in 
particular in our area.  Transportation between the University Inn and RUTCOR will be 
organized as described below.  However, it may be quite convenient to 
bring along your car if you are coming from a reasonable distance, or 
even to rent one.  

     B.  There is ample parking for private cars in our parking lot 
(Lot 64) behind the RUTCOR building.  Parking permits will be 
available at the registration desk free of charge  

     C.  University bus service between the campus and downtown is 
available only on weekdays; service stops between 17:00 and 17:30 
PM., and buses run only every 40 minutes.

     D. A special bus will be available every morning at 8:30 to 
bring participants from the University Inn to RUTCOR.  A special bus 
will also be available in the evenings, following the last session, 
to take participants back to the University Inn, making a stop in 
downtown New Brunswick.  This may be useful to many participants, 
since there is no dinner available at the University Inn.  

     E.  During the daytime, RUTCOR's minivan will be available for 
short trips to downtown and the University Inn.

    F.  Taxicabs are available to downtown and the 
University Inn from the RUTCOR building. The fare should range 
between $5 - $10.  You can easily find cabs at the railway station, 
at the Hyatt Hotel, and in several other spots.  To go from RUTCOR to 
New Brunswick or Highland park, please arrange at the registration 
desk to have a taxi called for you.  

We hope that most of the major and not so major questions have been 
taken care of.  Now we are concentrating our efforts on the 
remaining issues, and mainly on minimizing distractions during the 
conference.  We are in the process of having the splendid mountain 
ranges of New Jersey removed for the duration of the conference, and 
are negotiating arrangements for absolutely miserable weather, so as 
to guarantee that nobody will leave the conference room.

We are looking forward with very much pleasure to seeing you 
here.  In the meantime, if you have any questions, please let us 
know. 

With our very best regards and wishes for a safe trip,

Very cordially,

Endre and Peter