Subject: Availability of Colt 1.0 Beta 3 - Open Source Libraries for High Performance for Scientific and Technical Computing in Java

From: Wolfgang HOSCHEK <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 15:22:04 +0200

This is to announce the release of the Colt V1.0 Beta 3 distribution.

Check out the online documentation and/or download at
http://nicewww.cern.ch/~hoschek/colt/index.htm

Scope
=====
The Colt distribution provides an open source infrastructure for
scalable scientific and technical computing in Java. It contains
efficient and usable data structures and algorithms for Off-line Data
Analysis, Histogramming, Monte Carlo Simulation and NTuple like
manipulations.
             
Contents
========
The Colt distribution consists of several free libraries, for user
convenience bundled under one single uniform umbrella. Namely the Colt
library, the Jet library, the JAL library, the RngPack library and the
VNI library. 

The Colt library provides fundamental general-purpose data structures
optimized for numerical data, such as dense and sparse matrices
(multi-dimensional arrays), resizable arrays, associative containers and
buffer management.

The Jet library contains mathematical and statistical tools for data
analysis, histogramming functionality, High Energy Physics constants,
Random Number Generators and Distributions useful for (event)
simulations, and more. 

The JAL library, a partial port of the C++ Standard Template Library
developed by Silicon Graphics, contains a wide range of efficiently
coded general-purpose algorithms on arrays. 

The RngPack library contains random number generators. Finally, the VNI
library contains mathematical functions and complex numbers.

Regards,
Wolfgang Hoschek.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wolfgang Hoschek     | e-mail: [email-masked]
CERN IT Division     | phone:  +41 (22) 767 8089
European Laboratory  | fax:    +41 (22) 767 7155 
for Particle Physics | home:   http://www.cern.ch/CERN/Divisions/EP/HL
----------------------------------------------------------------------