Subject: Re: happy new year

From: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:14:55 -0500 (EST)

Hi Paul,

I really appreciate it. I've been in the last few days 
working hard at it to get those papers in an acceptable
shape. I definitely want them to be done and out before
including as part of the thesis. As soon as I'm
done with them they will be available in the optimization
area so you can go ahead to look at them. Geoffrey
may assign non-thesis kind of work to do this semester
but I'm going to spend time and put more efforts on this so I
can get another life.

BTW, can I ask you for small help? I need a third person
from SU on my committee and GCF mentioned Simon at the Physics,
do you think he will be a knowledgeable person on this area
to have? I'll try to get a hold of him to see if he agrees,
if not then I'll see if I can approach someone else.

Many thanks and will keep you posted. Best wishes for the
new year. Say hi to Ken and Barb.

-Saleh

ps/
The following my reading list.
-----------------------------------------------
\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}
\title{PhD Qualifying Exam Reading List}
\date{8 January 1999}
\author{Saleh Elmohamed}

\maketitle

This list was put together by Professor Geoffrey Fox for Saleh's exam.

\section{Optimization and Algorithms}

\begin{enumerate}
\item E. Aarts and J. K. Lenstra, editors,
{\bf Local Search in Combinatorial Optimization}, Wiley-Interscience
Publication, Chichester, UK, 1997.

\item E. Burke and M. Carter, editors, 
{\bf Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling II}, Lecture
Notes in Computer Science, Volume 1408, Springer, 1998.

\item T. H. Cormen, C. L. Leiserson, and R. L. Rivest,
{\bf Introduction to Algorithms}, McGraw-Hill, 1990.

\item A. Ferreira and P. Pardalos, editors,
{\bf Solving Combinatorial Optimization Problems in Parallel},
Springer-Verlag, 1996.

\item S. Kirkpatrick, C. D. Gelatt, and M. P. Vecchi, ``Optimization
  by simulated annealing,'' {\it Science}, 220 (4598):671-680, 13 May
  1983. 

\item O. G. Mouritsen, {\bf Computer Studies of Phase Transitions and
    Critical Phenomena,} Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1984.

\item D. E. Knuth, {\bf Fundamental Algorithms}, Volume 1 of The Art
  of Computer Programming. Addison-Wesley, 1998. (Third Edition)

\item D. E. Knuth, {\bf Seminumerical Algorithms}, Volume 2 of The Art
  of Computer Programming, Addison-Wesley, 1998. (Third Edition)

\item D. E. Knuth, {\bf Sorting and Searching}, Volume 3 of The Art of
  Computer Programming, Addison-Wesley, 1998. (Third Edition)

\item G. B. Sorkin, {\bf Theory and Practice of Simulated Annealing on
    Special Energy landscapes,} PhD Thesis, EECS, U. C. Berkeley,
  1992.

\item C. H. Papadimitriou and K. Steiglitz, 
{\bf Combinatorial Optimization} - Algorithms and Complexity, 
Dover Publications, 1998.

\item G. Reinelt, {\bf The Traveling Salesman} -  Computational Solutions
    for TSP Applications, Springer-Verlag, 1994.

\item J. Hertz, A. Krogh, and R. Palmer, {\bf Intro. to the Theory of
    Neural Computation,} Addison-Wesley, 1991.
\end{enumerate}

\subsection{Physical Optimization}
The following collection of papers deals with a number of methods for 
physical optimization: mean field annealing (or deterministic
annealing), neural networks, and tabu search, in particular.
\begin{enumerate}
\item G. C. Fox, E. Gurewitz and Y. F. Wang, ``A Neural Network
  Approach to Multi-Vehicle Navigation (I),'' {\it Proc. of SPIE's
    Symposium on Advances in Intelligent Systems,} Philadelphia,
    November 1989.
\item K. Rose, E. Gurewitz and G. Fox, ``A Deterministic Annealing
  Approach to Clustering,'' {\it Pattern Recognition Letters} 11, p 589
  (1990).
\item G. C. Fox, E. Gurewitz and Y. F. Wang, ``A Neural Network
  Approach to Multi-Vehicle Navigation (II),'' {\it Proc. of the
    DMCC5}, Charleston, S. Carolina, April 1990.
\item K. Rose, E. Gurewitz and G. Fox, ``Statistical Mechanics and
  Phase Transition in Clustering,'' {\it Phys. Rev. Letters} 65, p 945
  (1990).
\item K. Rose, E. Gurewitz and G. Fox, ``Vector Quantization by
  Deterministic Annealing,'' {\it IEEE Trans on Information Theory}
  38, p 1249 (1992).
\item K. Rose, E. Gurewitz and G. Fox, ``Constraint Clustering as an
  Optimization Method,'' {\it IEEE PAMI} 15, p 785 (1993).
\item G. C. Fox, W. Furmanski, A. Ho, J. Koller, P. Simic, and 
Y. F. Wong, ``Neural networks and dynamic complex systems,'' Tech.
Report C3P-695, Caltech, December 1988. Proceedings of 1989 SCS
Eastern Conference, Tampa, Florida, March 28-31, 1989.

\item G. C. Fox, ``Applications of the generalized elastic net to
  navigation.'' Tech. Report C3P-930, Caltech, June 1990. Unpublished.

\item G. C. Fox, ``Parallel computers and complex systems,'' in 
{\em Complex Systems '92 - From Biology to Computations,} December
1992. Syracuse University Tech. Report SCCS-370.

\item G. C. Fox, ``Approaches to physical optimization,'' in 
{\em  Proceedings of the 5th SIAM Conf. on Parallel Processes for
    Scientific Computation,} 153-162, 1992. SCCS-92,
  CRPC-TR91124. Caltech Report C3P-959.

\item G. C. Fox and A. Gandhi, ``Solving problems in navigation.''
  Tech. Report SCCS-9, Syracuse University, 1990. Unpublished.

\item G. C. Fox and A. Gandhi, ``Physical optimization for navigation
  and robot manipulation.'' Tech. Report SCCS-43, Syracuse University,
  1990. Unpublished.

\item A. Hertz, ``Finding a feasible course schedule using Tabu
  Search,'' {\it Discrete Applied Mathematics}, 35:255-270, 1992.

\end{enumerate}

\section{Parallel Computing and Architecture}
\begin{enumerate}

\item G. F. Pfister, {\bf In Search of Clusters} - The Ongoing Battle in
    Lowly Parallel Computing, second edition, Prentice-Hall, 1998.

\item I. Foster and C. Kesselman, editors, {\bf The Grid} - Blueprint
    for a New Computing Infrastructure, Morgan-Kaufmann, 1998.

\item D. Culler, J. Singh and A. Gupta, {\bf Parallel Computer
    Architecture} - A Hardware/Software Approach, Morgan-Kaufmann, 1998.

\item G. C. Fox, R. D. Williams, and P. C. Messina, {\bf Parallel
    Computing Works!}, Morgan-Kaufmann, 1994.

\item J. L. Hennessy and D. A. Patterson, {\bf Computer Architecture} -
  A Quantitative Approach, second edition, Morgan-Kaufmann, 1996.

\item A. S. Tanenbaum, {\bf Modern Operating Systems}, Prentice-Hall,
  1992.

\end{enumerate}

\end{document}

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Paul Coddington wrote:

> 
> I've sent some questions to Geoffrey and Ernie.
> 
> Good luck with the exam, and I hope you can get those papers polished
> off soon.
> 
> All the best for the new year
> 
> Paul
>

---

From: Paul Coddington <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:52:31 +1030 (CST)

> if not then I'll see if I can approach someone else.

I don't think Simon knows much about optimization techniques but
he certainly understands simulated annealing and neural nets, so
I think he would be a good person to have.