Subject: JW OCTOBER issue features Cover Story on JNI design techniques; a powerful scripting tutorial; Java Tip 79; and more!

From: [email-masked] (JavaWorld Editor-in-Chief)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 99 10:45:47 EST

J A V A W O R L D   A L E R T
                   JavaWorld -- Fueling Innovation!

             Get the Java TIPS, TOOLS, and TECHNOLOGIES at
                  http://www.javaworld.com?092099txt

=========================================================================

HIGHLIGHTS -- September 20, 1999

* COVER STORY helps you compete with native apps with JNI
* Unleash scripting power in your Java programs
* JAVA TIP 79: Interact with the garbage collector in MVC applications
* HOW-TO JAVA column pinpoints the crucial importance of program testing
* Find out how Sun's JCP affects you in JW's COMMUNITY VIEWPOINT
* 31 NEWS & NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS keep you up to date on Java developments
* JW authors respond in-depth to your LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

=========================================================================

Dear JavaWorld reader,

JavaWorld's OCTOBER issue is up and running! For the complete OCTOBER
TABLE OF CONTENTS, go to:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-10-1999/jw-10-toc.html?092099txt

COVER STORY EXPLAINS HOW JNI CAN HELP YOU COMPETE WITH NATIVE APPS

In this month's COVER STORY -- "Enhance your Java application with Java
Native Interface (JNI)" -- Tal Lyron outlines JNI-based design and
implementation techniques that can improve your applications'
performances relative to native apps, without sacrificing Java's cross-
platform advantages. A must-read for every ambitious Java developer!

 http://www.javaworld.com/jw-10-1999/jw-10-jni.html?092099txt

SCRIPT POWER, GARBAGE COLLECTION, AND TESTING -- IN JW'S NUTS & BOLTS SECTION

JavaWorld's OCTOBER issue NUTS & BOLTS section is chock full of useful
how-to articles and tutorials. Here's a taste of what you get this
month:

  In his article, "Scripting power saves the day for your Java apps,"
  Ramnivas Laddad explains how to add scripting capabilities to legacy
  Java applications without compromising the original design features,
  thereby boosting user satisfaction. Logic dictates that you read:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-10-1999/jw-10-script.html?092099txt

  Learn to avoid MVC-induced garbage collection problems with Raimond
  Reichert's "Java Tip 79: Interact with garbage collector to avoid memory
  leaks." In this Java Tip, Raimond demonstrates how to implement your own
  models to remove unneeded listeners automatically, thus avoiding memory
  leaks. Be the first on your block to read:

  http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip79.html?092099txt

  After wrapping up his look at XML and Java last month, HOW-TO JAVA
  columnist Todd Sundsted this month turns his attention to application
  testing. In "Test for fun and profit, Part 1," Todd explains the
  critical role testing plays in application development and provides an
  overview of the special considerations for testing Java-based programs.
  Be sure your apps make the grade by reading:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-10-1999/jw-10-howto.html?092099txt

JCP, NEWS & NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS, AND LETTERS -- IN JW'S NEWS & VIEWS SECTION

The OCTOBER NEWS & VIEWS section offers the latest Java news, including
a report on Sun's Java Community Process, a new batch of News and New
Product Briefs, and JW author responses to your LETTERS TO THE EDITOR.

  Sun designed its Java Community Process (JCP) to involve the Java
  community at large in the evolution of Java technology, but not everyone
  embraces Sun's notion of community. Paul Philion examines the details
  and criticisms of the JCP in his "A look inside the Java Community
  Process." Be sure to read this insightful report on the JCP:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-10-1999/jw-10-jcp.html?092099.txt

  Nike Mikes and Dusan Palka deliver the goods on new Java development and
  company news, with 31 NEWS AND NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS. Here's a taste of
  what you'll find: Mozilla wakes up to Java; Tidestone ships Formula One
  7.0 in Java 2; Java Media Framework 2.0 beta released; Kona's Realtime
  integrates real people into your Web site; IBM broadens Network Station
  family with new thin clients and enhanced software; British concern
  unveils Link-n-go Web service; and more!

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-10-1999/jw-10-newsbriefs.html?092099.txt

  In this month's LETTERS TO THE EDITOR, John Zukowski responds to a
  reader's question about "Java Tip 72: Press Escape to close your Swing
  dialog windows"; Chuck McManis answers an RMI question; and Allen Holub
  pours water on a flame and helps with a visual proxy question. Don't
  miss these important follow-ups to some of JW's most important articles:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-10-1999/jw-10-letters.html?092099txt

JW RESOURCES -- YOUR SOURCE FOR JAVA TOOLS, LINKS, BACK ISSUES, AND MORE!

Be sure to spend some time with our valuable JAVA RESOURCES, where you
can find our Search tool, Topical Index, Back Issues Index, Java Book
Catalog, Developer Tools Guide, and more!

  http://www.javaworld.com/#res?092099txt

Thanks for reading JavaWorld!

      SPREAD THE WORD! Send this e-mail to a friend, and spread
   the word about Java -- and JavaWorld, the leading Java magazine!
                    More than 200,000 readers

                 JavaWorld -- Fueling Innovation!
                     http://www.javaworld.com?090699txt

      JavaWorld is part of IDG.net, the IDG Online Network.
      IT All Starts Here: http://www.idg.net

********************JAVAWORLD BOOKSTORE FEATURED TITLE*****************

                       CORE JINI by Keith W. Edwards

The Jini vision -- network anything, anytime, and anywhere is one thing;
coding this vision another. Fortunately for Java programmers and
application developers, the code and rationale to make that vision
happen can be found in this guide to the new distributed computing
paradigm. This important book covers deployment scenarios, JavaSpaces,
print service, and distributed transactions.

For an additional 10% discount on this title, enter jworld in the
discount code field on the checkout page.

  http://www1.fatbrain.com/partners/javaworld/home.asp

**************************READER SERVICE*******************************

          WIN   *   WIN   *   WIN   *   WIN   *   WIN   *   WIN

A DELL PRECISION WORKSTATION -- WORTH $2,965

Check out IDG's  LinuxWorld, a FREE Web-only magazine dedicated to Linux
technology and the Linux community.

Plus, enter to WIN a Dell Precision Workstation -- worth $2,965. It's
easy to
enter and entirely FREE! Somebody's got to be a winner and it could be
YOU!

Don't delay. Enter now!

  http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/cgi-bin/subscribe.cgi?02LTJ8

**************************** ADVERTISEMENT *****************************

BOOST YOUR JAVA CODE PERFORMANCE & RELIABILITY
with NuMega DevPartner for Java!

-- Complete top-to-bottom performance profiling
-- Multithread runtime analysis and error detection
-- Code coverage and stability measurement
-- Powerful VM-switching on-the-fly

To learn more or to request a FREE 14-day full software evaluation CD,
visit:

  http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198933;2814936;v?http://www.numega.com/products/java.shtml

************************************************************************

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To stop receiving such messages, send email to [email-masked]
with a subject field of:

UNSUB javaworld [email-masked] jw1820

Questions? Email [email-masked]

Distribution, database maintenance and response management
by The Email Channel, Inc. For more information, send e-mail 
to [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------