Subject: alphaWorks Flash - February 2000

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:01:11 -0800

_____________________________________________________________________

                   ***  IBM alphaWorks Flash  ***
                   SPEEDING IBM TECHNOLOGY TO YOU

The IBM alphaWorks Flash is a monthly newsletter of new technologies
and updates  posted to alphaWorks at:  http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com

Instructions for subscribing and unsubscribing  are at the end.
_____________________________________________________________________

February 2000

Welcome to the alphaWorks Flash!  Download the latest emerging alpha
technologies,then go to http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/discussion and
tell us what you think.  Thanks!

CONTENTS:
*********
1) NEW: Weblets
2) NEW: Snapp
2) NEW: HyperJ
3) NEW: XML Master
4) NEW: OLEBridge
5) NEW: alphaBeans (JavaBeans)
6) UPDATE: Latest alphaWorks updates
7) DeveloperWorks Updates
8) alphaWorks News

1) NEW: Weblets
*************************************
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/weblets
Weblets is an emerging technology for manipulating the live browser
DOM with Java to create compelling cross platform
e-business applications.

2) NEW:  Snapp
*************************************
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/snapp
Palm Pilot Unix Admin Tool.

3)  NEW:  HyperJ
*************************************
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/hyperj
HyperJ supports advanced, "multi-dimensional" separation and
integration of concerns in standard Java software.

4) NEW:   XML Master
*************************************
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/xmas
Use XML Master to design and generate custom JavaBeans for working
with a particular XML document.

5) NEW:   OLEBridge
*************************************
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/olebridge

OLEBRIDGE is a software development kit that provides a mechanism to
communicate to OLE/COM objects in standard Java either locally or over
a network wiht the use of RMI.

6) NEW: alphaBeans (JavaBeans)
************************************
To check out the latest alphabeans got to:
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/alphaBeans

*NotesPack
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/ab.nsf/bean/NotesPack

The NotesPack Bean Suite provides the functionality to develop Java
stand-alone applications that work with Lotus Notes databases by means
of visual programming in Java visual tools.

*Quotes
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/ab.nsf/bean/Quotes

Get stock quotes in XML format for use in your applications. Download
now!
The Quotes Bean Version 1.0 receives company stock quotes from the
Yahoo! Finance server and stores them in the XML format.

*ObjectComboBoxSwing
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/ab.nsf/bean/ObjectComboBoxSwing

A Swing-based version of the alphaBeans ObjectComboBox bean.  It
contains a text field and a Drop-Down List, which presents a graphical
interface and allows you to access items by their display names. Each
item in this bean has a different display name. Not only string items,
but also object items of any kind can be added into the bean directly.
This bean may be edited and/or searched for.

*XParagon
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/XParagon

The XParagon bean provides the functionality to generate a custom XML
(the eXtensible Markup Language) parser according to a structure
defined by easyXML Bean Suite Version 3.0.

*GUIControllers
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/GUIControllers

Control your GUI with our beans.

7) UPDATE: Latest alphaWorks updates
************************************

*XSL Editor
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/DDbE

The IBM XSL Editor application allows a user to import, create, and
save Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) source documents.  Also,
incorporates trace function and provides assistance with writing
select and match expressions.

*Log Package for Java
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/logpackage

The log4j package provides a simple yet flexible mechanism to output
log statements to a file or to an OutputStream.

*ClassBroker for Java
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/jcbroker

This is an ultra lightweight Object Request Broker with extended
network services and smart proxies for Java applications and applets.

*TaskGuide Viewer
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/taskguideviewer

An XML-based tool for creating wizards.

*Werdz
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/werdz

Now words can be spelled as they are spoken correctly.

8)alphaWorks News
*****************************************

New on developerWorks!

Learn how to use VisualAge for Java with Tomcat, Apache Software
Foundation's recently released open source reference implementation
for Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1.
http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/data/document2389?OpenDocument&p=
1&BCT=1&Footer=1?loc=085,t=nl,p=java1

Interact with the developers of IBM's Developer Kit for Linux, Java
Technology  Edition, Version 1.1.8
A developerWorks e-seminar, February 24 at 4:00 pm Eastern.
http://www.envoyforum.com/eseminars/subcat.cfm?subcatid=441&catid=440

XML specification for business-to-business transactions
New on developerWorks!  We've got the latest on B2B... learn more
about the recently submitted Trade Partner Agreement (TPA)
that will enable companies to automate business-to-business
transactions.
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/tpaml.html?loc=085,t=
nl,p=xml1

Check out Redbooks about Linux!
IBM technical experts continue to write about Linux in combination
with other software and hardware offerings, like the integration
guides for Netfinity and: Caldera
OpenLinux, Red Hat Linux, and SuSe Linux. Search the Redbook database
for more Linux sources.
http://www.ibm.com/developer/linux/?loc=085,t=nl,p=linux1

OS/390 XML beta announcement
IBM Enterprise Servers is looking for customers and independent
software vendors (ISVs)  to beta-test XML support on OS/390tm. They
need a handful of people to be willing to commit to performing live
testing over a 6-8 week period.  If you are interested in
participating in this beta-testing and can work with us over the next
few months, contact:
David Canora ([email-masked]).

WebSphere 2000
Join over 1000 developers in Miami, March 27-29, 2000 for WebSphere
2000. See how IBM and IBM business partner technologies are helping
industry leaders succeed in e-business.
http://www.ibm.com/software/webservers/websphere2000.html

_____________________________________________________________________

Have a comment or question?  Please let us know by sending an e-mail
to [email-masked]

IBM alphaWorks Flash is a publication of IBM alphaWorks,
Speeding IBM Technology to You
http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com

We invite you to engage in discussion regarding alphaWorks at:
http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com/discussion
_____________________________________________________________________

SUBSCRIBING AND UNSUBSCRIBING

You will not receive any other e-mail from us, and we will not give
or sell your e-mail address to anyone else.

@ Using the web to subscribe or unsubscribe

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this newsletter, go to
http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com/subscribe/ and follow the
instructions.

@ Using e-mail to subscribe or unsubscribe

You can also subscribe to or unsubscribe from this newsletter by
sending an e-mail to [email-masked].  In the first
line of the body of your note, type:

subscribe ALPHAFLASH youruserid@yourdomain firstname lastname
(e.g., subscribe ALPHAFLASH [email-masked] jane dow)

signoff ALPHAFLASH
(e.g., signoff ALPHAFLASH )

If your e-mail address changes, please remember to unsubscribe your
previous userid after you subscribe your new userid.

_____________________________________________________________________