Subject: Year 2000 Compliance

From: "Neil Jasper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:38:44 -0500

* Attention:

Once a month since August, I have sent an email such as this reviewing the
progress of Y2K compliance of the NPAC PC's.  In each of these notes, I have
asked each of you to make arrangements to have your system(s) both at you
office or at home, verified for Y2K compliance.  To date, only a handful of
you have contacted me to either make your systems compliant or schedule them
for upgrades or even talked about the need.  Let me suggest to you that you
may be in for a rude awakening on January 1, 2000.

To my knowledge, the following NPAC systems are Y2K compliant:
heracles
ventana
poseidon
geb
isis
mississippi
minnesota
harem
hera
thoth
northcarolina
sdakota
maine

These systems have undergone my Y2K upgrades and minimum testing for
Hardware, Operating System and Microsoft Application Software.  Those of you
that believe you have prepared your system for the Year 2000 on your own
should print a Year 2000 readiness report for your system and place it in my
mailbox in 3-217.  That way I will be able to review and make necessary
recommendations for you, and then keep on file a current status of your
system.

For those of you that have procrastinated until now, let me remind you that
there is only 15 days before January 1st.  If you need my assistance to
proceed, you only have the period between December 20th through December
31st.

To make it easier for you, I have prepared the following procedure for
systems running windows NT 4.0 Workstation.  If you are operating under
Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 Server, or Windows 2000, the
procedure IS DIFFERENT!  Do NOT attempt to follow these directions for ANY
operating system other than Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.  You may contact me
at any time to understand how to proceed with non NT 4.0 upgrades.

Here is the procedure for Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Y2K Compliance

* Install Windows NT Service Pack 5 or Windows NT Service Pack 6a.
Service Pack 5 is sufficient.  Both are located on an NPAC server at:
\\heracles\userinstall\NTServicePacks
These versions are 128 bit or high encryption
* I do not recommend using Windows NT Service Pack 6.  If you have
already installed this please install the 2 "hot fixes" located at:
\\heracles\userinstall\NTServicePacks\NTServPack6\hotfixto6a
For more information on the changes have been made with these hot fixes, go
to:
 http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/sp6/

After the Service Pack is installed, REBOOT system.  You should see the new
Service Pack release version on the blue screen as the system boots.
Once you are running on the new service pack, install the Service Releases
for
Microsoft Office 97.  These releases are located on the following directory:
\\heracles\userinstall\Office 97 Service Release
Install BOTH SR programs SR1 and SR2 in order.  You will need to reboot
the system after each process.  On the Service Release 2 you will be asked
to enter your Microsoft Word 97 Product ID.  You can find your Product ID
In Microsoft Word, Help, About.  Enter the Product ID and then close Word
to continue the update.

You will need to reboot again.

If you use Visual Studio 6.0 there are Service Releases to perform as well:
\\heracles\userinstall\Vstudio 6 Service Release\SP3

The last step is a Year 2000 Scan that will provide a report of any
NON-compliant
software, or questionable software:
\\heracles\userinstall\y2kscan

Copy the program Y2Kscan.exe to your system and run it.
When finished it will tell you the location of an HTML data file that
explains
the results of the scan.  PLEASE print this report and place a copy in the
mail
slot for Neil Jasper.

Neil D. Jasper
Data Systems Administrator
Syracuse University-NPAC
111 College Place, Room 3-217
Syracuse, New York  13244

Phone:  (315) 443-4557
Fax:      (315) 443-1973
email:    [email-masked]

               --------------===============---------------
                    This list is for use by NPAC staff
     to inform NPAC onsite users (ie located at CST) about local issues
                  Other postings to this list will fail
                     PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR CC:
               --------------===============---------------

---

From: "Neil Jasper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:44:26 -0500

ok

Neil D. Jasper

Phone:  (315) 443-4557
Fax:      (315) 443-1973

-----Original Message-----
From: Saleh Elmohamed [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 12:14 PM
To: Neil Jasper
Subject: Re: Year 2000 Compliance

Hi Neil,

>  http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/sp6/

I got this done for montana.

> In Microsoft Word, Help, About.  Enter the Product ID and then close Word

I couldn't get it going. It just aborted right in the middle and
asked me to go to the microsoft site for more info.

Si I stopped right there. Can you stop by if you have some free
time this afternoon.

I appreciate it.

regards,
Saleh

---

From: "Neil Jasper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:43:04 -0500

That is my intent.

I need to complete this procedure to be sent first.
Shouldn't be too much longer

Neil D. Jasper

Phone:  (315) 443-4557
Fax:      (315) 443-1973

-----Original Message-----
From: Saleh Elmohamed [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 4:43 PM
To: Neil Jasper
Subject: RE: Year 2000 Compliance

Neil,

are you stopping by before going home for the day?

---

From: "Neil Jasper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:43:58 -0500

Saleh,

do you run Office 97 directly from heracles or from
Montana?  If from Server, you can't update that.
If you run from Montana, log out and log in as the local Administrator

Neil D. Jasper

Phone:  (315) 443-4557
Fax:      (315) 443-1973

-----Original Message-----
From: Saleh Elmohamed [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 1999 3:42 PM
To: Neil Jasper
Subject: RE: Year 2000 Compliance

Neil,

I got the same problem with Office 97:

'the patch has determined that your installation of Office cannot be
updated at this time. Shut down all running applications and re-run
the patch, if the problem presists please consult the microsoft
knowledge base at microsoft.com/kb ...'

I got this right after I get 'Preparing to update...'

-Saleh