Subject: JavaWorld This Week: New Java 101 column launches, Code Masters Challenge Five, and more!

From: JavaWorld <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:21:21

JAVAWORLD THIS WEEK  --- April 04, 2000
JavaWorld is part of ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
http://www.javaworld.com
   
*********************************************************************
HIGHLIGHTS

April 4, 2000

* JavaWorld launches exciting Java 101 column for beginners
* An important message for Code Masters Challenge Four participants
* Todd Sundsted wraps up his look at JNDI with the Doc-u-Matic app
* Process HTML forms with JSP!
* JW's Net News features fresh Java news from around the Web

********************************************************************* 
ADVERTISEMENT

Top Java opportunities from Fortune 500 companies to pre-IPO Internet 
start-ups

LeadersOnline has senior Java opportunities, ranging from $75 -
$150K+.  Today, savvy technology professionals have the advantage of
always knowing what opportunities exist.  LeadersOnline gives you that
advantage. Click here to join the community.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1109535;4146573;f?
http://www.www.leadersonline.com/javaworldnews

*********************************************************************
Dear JavaWorld reader,

Greetings from JavaWorld Alert, your email link to what's new at 
www.javaworld.com.

For the latest tutorials, tips, news, resources, and more, go to:

  http://www.javaworld.com

JAVAWORLD KICKS OFF NEW JAVA 101 COLUMN AIMED AT JAVA NEWCOMERS

This week, JavaWorld proudly launches its newest column: Java 101 by 
Java training expert Jacob Weintraub. Jacob aims his new column 
squarely at Java newcomers, whether they are new to programming or 
converts from other languages like C++. For the kick-off article, Jacob 
introduces you to Java basics, explains how to set up Java on your 
computer, and helps you construct your first Java class. Java 101 -- 
the place to start your programming career:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-0331-java101.html?040400txt

ATTENTION CODE MASTERS CHALLENGE FOUR PARTICIPANTS!

If you submitted an entry to Code Masters Challenge Four or tried to 
contact the Code Masters editor, Daniel Steinberg, recently, your 
message was not received. Please resubmit your entry to Challenge 4 only 
by attaching the JAR file to email and sending it to 
[email-masked]. We'll let you know within a day that we've 
received it. Also, if you sent any correspondence to Daniel recently, 
please resend your comments to the address given above. JavaWorld 
apologizes for the inconvenience, but rest assured your entries matter 
to us.

As for Challenge Five, you still have plenty of time to create an 
online chat service using Java's Web-based functionality. Entries for 
Challenge Five must be received by April 28, 2000 at 11:59 p.m. PST. 
Don't be a stick in the mud, start coding today! 
  
  http://www.javaworld.com/codemasters/codemasters_challenge5.html

HOW-TO JAVA WRAPS UP ITS LOOK AT JNDI WITH THE DOC-U-MATIC

How-to Java columnist Todd Sundsted concludes his four-part JNDI series 
by introducing the Doc-u-Matic, a JNDI-enabled document publication and 
distribution application. Todd's accessible writing style and skillful 
explanations makes learning JNDI's ins-and-outs pleasant and enjoyable. 
JNDI serves an important function in Java, so be sure to read: 

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-0331-howto.html?040400txt

USE JAVA SERVER PAGES TO PROCESS HTML FORMS

Govind Seshadri's "Advanced form processing using JSP" details how the 
Memento design pattern, used with Java Server Pages and JavaBeans, can 
excel at handling HTML forms. If you're looking for a new way to handle 
HTML forms, jump quickly to:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-0331-ssj-forms.html?040400txt

GET THE LATEST JAVA INFORMATION FROM NET NEWS

JavaWorld's Net News is your one-stop resource for select Java-related 
headlines on the World Wide Web, organized for quick and easy review -- 
with links to full-length articles. We've even added short 
descriptions to give you a better idea of the Java news you'll find. 
Check it out on the right-hand side of the JavaWorld home page:

  http://www.javaworld.com

*********************************************************************
SEND THIS TO A COLLEAGUE

Pass this newsletter along to a friend or colleague, and spread the 
word about JavaWorld, the leading Java online resource.

*********************************************************************
ITWORLD.COM SERVICES 

Maximize Your Profits Through Personalization - a FREE online event!

Need some suggestions on how to jump to the next level of profitability
through Dynamic Content Delivery. Join Nortel Networks for a FREE
Webcast. Learn how to increase profits retain e-customers by delivering
more dynamic content. Reserve your place now. Use VIP#NOR-MR0-002 
http://www.itworld.com/itwebcast/nortel_cm.html

Bob Metcalfe tackles IT topics LIVE online-FREE webcast!

You’ve read "From the Ether," now explore Bob Metcalfe’s views even
further in a series of FREE webcasts. The webcast will feature Bob’s
wit and wisdom, along with instant messaging, interactive audience
polling and a toll-free phone link-so you can join in the discussions-
LIVE! Logon with VIP code # MET-MR0-003 at:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1103046;4140525;n

PC World Reviews: Get to the Point with Reviews You Can Use

Need that computing product fast, but want to be sure you're buying the
right one? Trust the experts at PC World to wade through the details.
We review only the best products, so you don't waste your time reading 
reviews you can't use. Get the straight scoop with PC World Reviews.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1072374;4110591;w

*********************************************************************  
CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can subscribe or unsubscribe from any newsletter by 
updating your form at: 
http://www.itworld.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/newsletters/subcontent12.html?

For subscription changes that cannot be handled via the web, 
please send an email to our customer service dept: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************
CONTACTS

* For editorial comments, write Carolyn Wong, Editor-In-Chief, 
JavaWorld at:  [email-masked]
 * For advertising information, write Dan Chupka, Account Executive 
at: [email-masked]
* For all other inquiries, write Jodie Naze, Product Manager,
Newsletters at: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************

JavaWorld is a trademark or registered trademark of 
Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries, and 
is used under license by International Data Group, Inc. All other 
product names and trademarks used in these articles are the 
trademarks of their respective owners. 

Copyright 2000 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 

http://www.itworld.com