Subject: Career Developer

From: Java - News <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:15:17 -0800

_______________________________________________________________________

__________________  C A R E E R   D E V E L O P E R  __________________

Issue 5, February 2000

Welcome to the February edition of Career Developer, a free newsletter
exclusively for the members of Career Central for Java Developers. 

For an online version of this newsletter, please visit: 

http://www.careercentral.com/java/resources/newsletter.asp

_____________________  I N   T H I S   I S S U E  _____________________

YOUR JOB OBJECTIVE: YOU CAN'T GET AHEAD WITHOUT ONE
by WetFeet.com: The Inside Scoop on the Job You Want (TM)

MOVE OVER CORPORATE AMERICA, HERE COMES THE SILICON HIGHWAY
by WetFeet.com: The Inside Scoop on the Job You Want (TM)

WHY A JAVA COLUMN?
by Will Iverson

WRITING XML-FRIENDLY JAVA DOCUMENTATION
by Tim Moyle, courtesy of Java Development Journal

WHAT'S NEW: FEBRUARY 2000
-- Searches and Placements -- Current Opportunities! Recent Placements!
-- Career Central Partners With SQL Server Magazine
-- Career Central Featured in American Venture Magazine Cover Story
-- The 10 best-selling Java books from Fatbrain.com 

REMINDERS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

_________________  F E A T U R E D   A R T I C L E S  _________________

YOUR JOB OBJECTIVE: YOU CAN'T GET AHEAD WITHOUT ONE
by WetFeet.com: The Inside Scoop on the Job You Want (TM)

For the most part, your resume is a list of past accomplishments. Where
you've worked. What you achieved while you were there. But there's scant
room for discussing your future, or what role you'd like to play at that
great new job you're angling to step into. That's where the Job Objective
statement comes in.

To read this article, please visit: 

http://www.careercentral.com/java/resources/javaNews.asp?Newsletterid=254

_______________________________________________________________________

MOVE OVER CORPORATE AMERICA, HERE COMES THE SILICON HIGHWAY
by WetFeet.com: The Inside Scoop on the Job You Want (TM)

Start-ups vs. Corporate America. It's not just the ever-coveted IPO that
attracts workers in droves to the casual, informal start-up life. There's
plenty of other perks, and open positions, to go around.

To read this article, please visit: 

http://www.careercentral.com/java/resources/javaNews.asp?Newsletterid=255
_______________________________________________________________________

WHY A JAVA COLUMN?
by Will Iverson

In today's job market, constantly updating your technical skill set is the
key to getting the best jobs. And in today's market, Java is hot. Whether
you're a beginner or an old pro, he's some things you should know about
keeping your Java skills in fighting shape.

To read this article, please visit:

http://www.careercentral.com/java/resources/javaNews.asp?Newsletterid=256
_______________________________________________________________________

WRITING XML-FRIENDLY JAVA DOCUMENTATION
by Tim Moyle, courtesy of Java Development Journal

Trends in the Java marketplace are making Java documentation more necessary.
Accelerated hiring and turnover in the job market means that the project
you're working has probably passed through many hands and will likely passed
through many more before it's released. Tim Moyle in "Writing XML-Friendly
Java Documetation," provides a number of useful tips and trick for
documenting your Java code.

To read this article, please visit: 

http://www.careercentral.com/java/resources/javaNews.asp?Newsletterid=257

_________  W H A T ' S   N E W  :  F E B R U A R Y   2 0 0 0  _________

SEARCHES AND PLACEMENTS

Hiring companies are forever telling us how difficult it is to hire
developers. Sought-after, hard-to-find, and absolutely essential to a
company's success, developers are in an enviable position when it come to
managing their careers. We've collected some of our success stories, as well
as some job searches we're currently working on, to give you a better idea
of what types of opportunities are out there for developers. And remember,
the next success story could be you!

See our most recent placement successes and tips on how to receive more
JobCasts by visiting: 

http://www.careercentral.com/java/resources/javaNews.asp?Newsletterid=258
_______________________________________________________________________

CAREER CENTRAL PARTNERS WITH SQL SERVER MAGAZINE

Career Central is proud to announce its partnership with SQL Server
Magazine, the definitive guide to building enterprise class business
solutions involving SQL Server and related technologies. It is written for
corporate software and solutions developers, database administrators,
integrators, data modelers and designers, IT managers and data warehousing
specialists. 

**SQL Server Magazine and Career Central have a great deal for you!** Sign
up now for the #1 resource for SQL Server info and get 25% off the price of
a 1 year (12 issues) subscription. This Enterprise Recognition subscription
is brought to you by Career Central. Don't miss out! You can find this
special offer at 

http://www.sqlmag.com/sub.cfm?code=er99erpxcc
_______________________________________________________________________

CAREER CENTRAL: AMERICAN VENTURE MAGAZINE COVER STORY

Career Central executives Lun Yuen, Heather Martin Maier, and Jeff Hyman
grace the cover of the latest issue of American Venture magazine. The cover
story, "Internet Challengers: How they'll beat Yahoo! & Monster," is a David
vs. Goliath kind of story detailing how smaller niche companies plan to
topple the giants -- or at least compete with them.

The article notes how Career Central's strategy of quality over quantity can
be an advantage. Jeff Hyman, president and CEO of Career Central, sees
Monster.com's size as a liability. "Busy job hunters and job seekers don't
want to sift through endless listings -- rather, they want to get
high-quality matches in the least amount of time," notes Hyman.

To read the full article, please visit: 

http://www.careercentral.com/news/NewsArticleTemplate.asp?articleid=48
_______________________________________________________________________

BEST-SELLING JAVA BOOKS FROM FATBRAIN.COM

Keep up with the latest knowledge in the Java world with the best-selling
books from Fatbrain.com. 

Visit: 

http://www.careercentral.com/java/resources/javaNews.asp?Newsletterid=189

_________  R E M I N D E R S   &   A N N O U N C E M E N T S  _________

Keeping your Member Profile current is the key to receiving JobCast e-mails
alerting you to the job opportunities that best match your skills,
experience, and interests. Please take a moment to ensure that your Member
Profile contains current contact and work information. Updating is easy and
enables us to provide you with more targeted job leads.

UPDATE YOUR MEMBER PROFILE by going to:
http://www.careercentral.com/java/login
Please be sure to click "Submit" when you're finished.

Forgot your password? Go to:
http://www.careercentral.com/java/login

Questions? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions at:
http://www.careercentral.com/java/faq.asp

_______________________________________________________________________

If you do not wish to receive future issues of Career Developer, please go
to:
http://www.careercentral.com/java/resources/newsletter.asp?UserID=138580A

_______________________________________________________________________

Unless otherwise specified, all articles are Copyright 2000 by Career
Central Corporation.

Permission is granted to members of Career Central for Java Developers to
distribute unaltered complete copies of this newsletter without fee to their
personal and business acquaintances that may be interested in the services
of Career Central for Java Developers. All other rights reserved.

Career Central
P.O. Box 50305
Palo Alto, CA 94303
(888) 946-3822
[email-masked]