Subject: Re: resume'

From: David Brower <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:43:27 -0700

In general, the reputation of Phd's in industry is that they
can be to theoretical, and too much into research things, and
not much into building products that work and meet a
customer's needs.  It is useful for you to try to show your
cards on this point.  Do you want to do mostly research-like
stuff or do you want to build products?  If you want to build
products, it helps to show what actual systems you have worked
on, with an indication of your exact contribution.  Do you want
to write code, or paper designs?  Do you want to be management?
Do you have expertise preparing and delivering presentations, 
particularly in powerpoint?  If you have a preference, say,
working in Java or C++, then you should say so.  You wouldn't
want to be in a pure C shop if you are a Java/web weenie at
heart.  How eager are you to move?  What is your visa/permit
situation?

What you sent seemed about twice as long as it might have been,
and possibly redundant.  It was long enough I didn't read it
carefully before I passed it on.  Webbed publications are very
useful.

I was last up there in about May '80.  The dome was being built,
and there was nothing but houses across from Link where I think
the CASE is now.  Machinery Hall had all the machines, and the 
campus was pretty much saturated in DECwriters for use with 
mainframe APL by engineering and math students.  There were a few
ADDS CRT terminals in MH.  There was no student center; that
was a war going on for years.  I am surprised that the old core
of University Union in Watson remains.  I spent much time in 
TV studio and the Community Darkrooms there. 

I do not miss shoveling my car out of snow in April.  Summertime
was always the best part of the year.

cheers,
-dB

Saleh Elmohamed wrote:
> 
> David,
> 
> Any comments or suggestions about the contents?... since I
> have worked on too many different things over the past years
> I thought to list some of them there...
> 
> Cheers,
> Saleh
> 
> ps/ have you been back here after 79? I'd imagine
> lots of things have changed since that time...
> 
> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, David Brower wrote:
> 
> > Saleh Elmohamed wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi David,
> > >
> > > Here is a copy of my resume'. I'd  appreciate your help
> > > in this regard. Also would love to hear any comments or suggestions about
> > > it.
> > >
> >
> > I've forwarded it on to one group, and will pass it on generally
> > if they aren't interested.
> >
> > cheers,
> > -dB
> >