Subject: IJCAI-91 paper

From: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 19:32:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Peter,

In that useful and quite interesting paper of yours, 
"Where the Really Hard Problems Are," IJCAI-91, 
http://ic-www.arc.nasa.gov/ic/projects/bayes-group/NP/
a number of questions and conjuctures were stated. Some
of these questions can be derived from just reading it.
I would be quite interested in any follow ups you or Bob 
Kanefsky or Will Taylor may have done on the subject since 
the publication of the aformentioned paper.

A colleague and I have been looking at a number of scheduling
cases, particularly timetabling. As the various sub-parts get
resolved and depending on the type of constraints invloved, phase
shifts or transitions occur from time to time throughout. 
We believe that these transitions are of direct relation to the 
constraints used in the problem.

Any kind of analysis would be quite interesting.

Would appreciate any pointers.

Best,
Saleh