Subject: excerpt of RMI section from JDC Newsletter Vol. 1 No. 11 (fwd)

From: George Thiruvathukal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:11:16 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Everyone,

The list seems quiet these days. Something called "summer" must have taken
over.

In the recent Java Developer's Connection newsletter from Sun, there's an
announcement of an RMI registry service provider, excerpted below, which
should allow more open naming services to be used with RMI. I personally
view this as a step in the right direction for RMI in terms of its
openness, although it does not address our [the JGF working group's] other
issues pertaining to openness, performance, and scalability. 

George

---- Excerpts from the JDC Newsletter

RMI REGISTRY SERVICE PROVIDER RELEASED.  This service provider enhances the
power of applications that use the Java Naming and Directory Interface(tm)
(JNDI).  Applications can access the RMI Registry using the Java platform's
generic naming interface.  Additionally, the RMI Registry can link to JNDI-
accessible directories such as LDAP to provide location-independent access
to remote objects.  To access, see:

http://java.sun.com/jndi