Subject: ERDC Technical Reports

From: "David E. Bernholdt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:56:00 -0500

A number of you will soon be involved in writing technical reports for
some of our PET activities.  I wanted to pass along these guidelines
from our sponsors.  Basically, you should treat these reports as you
would the preparation of a journal paper.  Both technical content and
quality of presentation are important.

More details about these reports will follow.

Thanks, David

Subject: Guidelines for PET Technical Reports
From: Wayne Mastin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:51:33 -0600

Since there are a few new people that have joined our program in the last
year, I am
sending out an updated version of our guidelines for PET technical reports.
 Attached 
you will find a Word and a Latex version of the guidelines.  These
documents may
be used as a aid in formatting for your reports.  Please contact me for
further information.

Wayne

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{multicol}
\setlength{\textwidth}{6.0in}
\setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0.25in}
\setlength{\evensidemargin}{0.25in}
\setlength{\topmargin}{0.25in}
\setlength{\headheight}{0.0in}
\setlength{\headsep}{0.0in}
\setlength{\textheight}{8.5in}

\begin{document}

\title{
{\bf Guidelines for PET Technical Reports}
\author{
C. Wayne Mastin\thanks{PET On-Site Academic Lead, Computer
Sciences Corporation} }} \maketitle

\section{Introduction}

Your report should have the title and author on the first page,
immediately followed by the text.  This page can be used as an
example.  We will prepare a separate
cover page and an acknowledgement/disclaimer page.  The standard
acknowledgement will read:
\begin{quote}
                Work funded by the DoD High Performance Computing
                Modernization Program ERDC
                Major Shared Resource Center through

                Programming Environment and Training (PET)

                Supported by Contract Number: DAHC 94-96-C0002 \\
                Computer Sciences Corporation
\end{quote}
If the work is jointly sponsored, please provide the necessary
information (e.g. agency and contract no.) and we will include
it in the acknowledgements.  The disclaimer will read:
\begin{quote}
                Views, opinions, and/or findings contained in this
                report are those of the author(s) and should not be
                construed as an official Department of Defense
                position, policy, or decision unless so designated
                by other official documentation.
\end{quote}
The acknowledgement and disclaimer texts are provided for your
information.  We will print this page and include it in all
reports.  You should include a separate acknowledgement of
computer resource support if you used HPCMP computer systems in
your work.  The text for that acknowledgement should appear after
the last section and before the references.  See the example
toward the end of this document.

The author's affiliation may be put in a footnote as illustrated
here or placed after the author's name.  You may include an
abstract if you wish, and that should be placed between the
author's name and the first section of the manuscript.

\section{Manuscript}

Your report may be prepared using HTML, Latex, or about any word
processor.  We need the electronic version of your manuscript. You
may send it to us by email or make it available on a FTP or Web
site.  If you are using HTML, make sure you include any GIF files
so we can reproduce the figures.  If you are using Latex, you will
need to send us any style files you use as well as the EPS files
for the figures.  To insure that we have the manuscript laid out
the way you wish, you may want to also send us a hard copy of the
manuscript.

Figures and tables may be included in the body of the manuscript
or collected together at the end.  The final section should be
followed by the acknowledgement of computer support and a list
of references, if appropriate.  If you choose to put figures at
the end of the paper, the references should precede the figures.
The references should also precede any appendices.

The manuscript should be single-spaced and the font should be of
a size normally found in a technical report or journal article,
about 10 to 12 pt.  A one-inch margin should be allowed on all
sides.

A sample report on PET training activities prepared by Mastin
\cite{train} is available as an example.  The report is available
either as a Latex text file or a Postscript file.  Requests may be
addressed to Wayne Mastin, [email-masked].  All PET technical
reports are available on the ERDC MSRC web page at \\
http://www.wes.hpc.mil/pet/tech\_reports/available.htm.

\section*{Acknowledgement}

This work was supported in part by a grant of HPC time from the
DoD HPC Modernization Program.

\begin{thebibliography}{9}

\bibitem{train} C. W. Mastin, ``1999 ERDC MSRC PET Training Activities,''
            ERDC MSRC PET TR 00-05, Vicksburg, MS, January 2000.

\end{thebibliography}

\end{document}

______________________________

U. S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center 
ATTN: C. Wayne Mastin, CEERD-IH-C 
3909 Halls Ferry Road 
Vicksburg, Ms 39180-6199
Phone:  601-634-3063
FAX:  601-634-3808
Email:  [email-masked]