Subject: A Much Higher Performance Java Implementation for Solaris 2.6

From: Corky Cartwright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:45:14 -0500 (CDT)

Solaris 2.6 Users:

Sun has just released a new implementation of Java 1.2 designed 
specifically for Solaris machines (Sparc and x86) under its
Early Access program at the Java Developers Connection.  It is
available at the URL 

  http://developer.javasoft.com/developer/earlyAccess/jdk1.2/index.html

You have to register with the Java Developers Connection to download
the system but the registration process is trivial.

The implementation features a completely new generational copying
garbage collector, low overhead locking protocols, and a much more
sophisticated JIT compiler (it even does some common subexpression
elimination).  During the past academic year, I spent my sabbatical at
Sun Microsystems Laboratories East working with Java Topics research
group that produced this implementation.  The experimental Java
implementation developed by this research group was so better than
existing Sun products that the Solaris Sofware division of Sun
Microsystems decided to make the research system into a product.

I am interested in hearing how well this implementation performs on
scientific calculations.  It is still a long way from optimized
Fortran, but it runs 12 times faster than JDK 1.1.5 on my favorite
symbolic benchmark (a boolean simplifier).

Check it out.

Corky Cartwright
Department of Computer Science
Rice University

---

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:25:46 -0500

Hi Corky & All:

I the same vein, I think everyone should take a look at TransVirtual's
recent announcement about the OpenVM open source implementation of the Java
Virtual Machine.

The OpenVM work is based on the Kaffe project:
	http://www.kaffe.org

You can get the first version of OpenVM from TransVirtual at
	http://www.transvirtual.com

It would be interesting to compare the latest OpenVM and Sun offerings.

George

----------------------------------------------------------------
 George K. Thiruvathukal
 Loyola University of Chicago
 Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
 http://www.math.luc.edu

 Please visit http://www.jhpc.org/george for more information.
----------------------------------------------------------------

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Corky Cartwright
> Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 1998 1:45 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: A Much Higher Performance Java Implementation for Solaris 2.6
>
>
>
> Solaris 2.6 Users:
>