Subject: [Fwd: HotJobs Resume]

From: Erol Akarsu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:09:49 -0600

Here is that interesting company,

Subject: HotJobs Resume
From: Steve Kann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:57:11 -0500

Erol,

        I've just looked over your resume on HotJobs, and it looks like
you could be a great addition to our team.  Let's see if we can get to
know each other better.  Firstly, you can take a look at our current
product offering in a demo -- we give live demos on Mondays, Wednesdays
and Fridays.  Second, when you're in town, let's schedule an interview.
We're located in downtown NYC (East Village/Silicon Alley Area).  Since
I assume you're up in Syracuse now, let me know when you'll be around
here.

	I'm also attaching some generic information about our company,
and the positions that we currently have open.  These descriptions,
naturally, are somewhat generic, and may not exactly describe how you
could fit in.  

        Hope to speak with you soon,

-SteveK
Chief Engineer, V.P.

===========================================================

Horizon is a fast-growing New York Internet startup,  building a live distance
learning system for corporate training and presentations on the web.   We have
been two years in development and recently received our first round of
institutional venture capital.  We have our first crop of clients, including
Prentice-Hall textbook division, Reuters and Physicians World, (the largest
provider of Continuing Medical Education credits and physicians education).  We
are a dedicated, focused, fun-loving group bound together by a passion to build
our company.  All employees have  significant equity and stock options in the
company.  The founder has built a successful internet services/design firm which
he sold to a public company earlier this year, in order to devote full time and
attention to Horizon.

A good way to learn about Horizon is to visit our web site and sign up to
participate in a live class.  We give them every Mon/Wed/Fri.  You will hear our
instructor speaking live audio or video and sending pages of internet content to
your screen.  Participants can type questions, responses or participate in
quizzes and polls.  http://horizonlive.com

Horizon has many applications, but we are focused on large, geographically
dispersed organizations and educational institutions.  Triallists and prospects
include corporate training depts, sales and marketing departments, trade
associations, governments, colleges and multinational agencies.

We have made several design decisions which make Horizon better than the
competition, and indicate the path on which we will continue to develop the
product.
a) Automatic firewall access
b) Open architecture for creating content
c) Thin java client
d) Focus on simple, direct, robust, cross-platform solution, (Unix, Mac and
Windows)
e) Use power of internet and open standards to create a better way to
communicate complex information and interactions.
f) Build the best way to incorporate real people into the Internet
g) Stay abreast of new developments in platform, bandwidth and other relevant
technologies in order to continue to offer the most intuitive, robust and
effective Distance Learning experiences.

====================================================

Experienced Developers:    (2 positions)
        Several (2+)  years experience working with _each_ of the
        following:      
                Unix ( user level and programming )
                CGI  ( writing, debugging )     
                Java ( esp GUI, networking )
                Perl 5 ( incl OO extensions )

        Experience with the following is also useful, but not
        required:
                C,C++
                SQL  (design, programming)
                Win32 API programming
                Internet protocol design
                Real networks or other streaming media systems.

        Summarily, we're looking for developers who have some experience
in building web-based network applictions similar to horizon in a
Unix/Perl/Java environment.  Candidates should have some formal training
(CS, Comp Eng, or EE major/minors), be self-motivated, and work well as
part of a team. 
                        
---------------------------------------------------                        

Unix System/Network Administrator  (1 position)
        Several years experience with 
                Unix S/A tasks.
                IP Networks.    
                Shell Scripting.
                Perl programming.
                Win32 clients.

        In summary, candidate will help maintain day-to-day operation of
our horizon hosted network and servers.  Also, will handle internal
administration tasks such as maintaining user accounts, printing, file
sharing, physical network, system backup, and other services.  Should be
familiar with above tasks, and be patient and friendly, as candidate
will be dealing with horizon clients.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
     Steve Kann - Horizon Live Distance Learning - 841 Broadway, Suite 502
 Personal:[email-masked]  Business:[email-masked]  (212) 533-1775
  "The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed Linux."

-- 
     Steve Kann - Horizon Live Distance Learning - 841 Broadway, Suite 502
 Personal:[email-masked]  Business:[email-masked]  (212) 533-1775
  "The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed Linux."