Subject: NPAC presentation, 2:00pm, 8/11, 3-216

From: Bryan Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:35:19 -0400 (EDT)

----- Forwarded message from Saleh Elmohamed -----

>From project-leaders-owner Tue Aug 10 17:32 EDT 1999
X-Authentication-Warning: postoffice.npac.syr.edu: majordom set sender to [email-masked] using -f
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:32:13 -0400
From: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
cc: Saleh Elmohamed <[email-masked]>
Subject: NPAC presentation, 2:00pm, 8/11, 3-216
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Length: 1128

Title: Middleware, Numerical Libraries and Benchmarks for Java Grande
       Applications

By:  Paul Coddington
     The Univ. of Adelaide
     Australia

Day: Wed 8/11/99     Time: 2:00p    Place: 3-216 (conf. room)

Abstract:
The Java Grande Forum aims to extend the functionality of Java to provide
better support for large-scale distributed and high-performance computing,
particularly for science and engineering applications. I will present an
overview of some of the projects being undertaken by our research group
that relate to the Java Grande efforts. Our main project is the
development of a Java middleware infrastructure (called DISCWorld) to
support large-scale distributed computing applications. Other projects
include the development and porting of scientific benchmark programs in
Java, such as the NAS parallel benchmarks, for use in the Java Grande
Forum Benchmark Suite. I will also briefly discuss the possibilities for
developing an API for a Java Scientific Software Library, and the work we
have done on developing a proposed API and reference implementation for a
random number generator library. 

----- End of forwarded message from Saleh Elmohamed -----