Subject: JavaWorld This Week: JVM-to-JVM communication without RMI, SilverStream review, the winner of Code Masters Challenge 2, the latest Challenge, and more

From: JavaWorld <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 01:03:03

JAVAWORLD THIS WEEK  --- March 28, 2000
JavaWorld is part of ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
http://www.javaworld.com

*********************************************************************
HIGHLIGHTS

* This week's Q&A: How can Java communicate without RMI?
* Review of SilverStream App Server 3.0 on J2EE
* StringBuffer vs. String -- which one is faster?
* Announcing the WINNER of Code Master Challenge 2 
* Code Master Challenge 5: write an online chat program
* Jiniology: Cleaning up after Jini services
* LDAP + JNDI = a powerful directory and Java object storage facility 
* The LATEST new product briefs from Inprise/Borland, Sun, and others!

********************************************************************* 
ADVERTISEMENT

IBM

Don't let your  garbage collection go uncontrolled - recycle Java
Memory -Garbagecollection on Java 1.1.8 JVMs. Visit developerWorks to
learn about garbage collection on Java 1.1.8 JVMs and  the relationship
between garbage and memory. Free up space. Learn about garbage
collection, why it is needed, and how it works.
http://www.ibm.com/developer/java/?loc=007&t=nl0327&p=jw 

*********************************************************************
Dear JavaWorld reader,

Greetings from JavaWorld Alert, your email link to what's new at 
www.javaworld.com.

For the latest tutorials, tips, news, resources, and more, go to:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-03-toc.html?032800txt

IS JVM-to-JVM COMMUNICATION WITHOUT RMI POSSIBLE?

This week's Java Q&A examines interprocess communication in Java -- is 
there a simple alternative to RMI? Find out here:

  http://www.javaworld.com/javaqa/2000-03/03-qa-0324-ipc.html?0328txt

HOW DOES SILVERSTREAM STACK UP?

SilverStream Application Server 3.0 has been put to the test. How does 
this J2EE server for Windows and Unix compare in features and price to 
others in its class? Don't miss this review from our sister publication 
InfoWorld.

http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-0320-iw-silverstream.html?0328txt

JAVA PERFORMANCE: A 10-MINUTE PIT STOP -- STRINGBUFFER VERSUS STRING

It's commonly debated: Should you use the StringBuffer class or the 
String class when you perform simple concatenations? What is the 
underlying performance impact of using one over the other? Get the quick 
answer at:

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-0324-javaperf.html?0328txt

CONGRATS TO CODE MASTER CHALLENGE WINNER 2

Code Master Challenge 2 asked you to craft a Java-based visual tool 
designed to compile, make, and run applications and produce 
documentation. Many of you were up to the task, but of course, we could 
only chose one winner.

Download the winning entry and see for yourself how it impressed our 
judges with its look and feel and ease of use. 

  http://www.javaworld.com/codemasters/codemasters_winner.html?0328txt

CHALLENGE 5 NOW ONLINE

After reviewing the winning entry of Challenge 2, we hope you'll be 
inspired to enter our newly posted challenge -- Challenge 5. Explore 
Java's Web-based functionality and work with a combination of applets, 
JavaServer Pages, and servlets as you create an online chat program. The 
deadline is April 28. Hop to it!

http://www.javaworld.com/codemasters/codemasters_challengeindex.html?0328txt

JINIOLOGY: CLEANUP METHODS FOR JINI SERVICES

Jiniology columnist Bill Venners tackles a fundamental issue with 
network-mobile code: how to standardize the way Jini clients release 
finite nonmemory resources used by Jini services. He offers up a 
solution using the finalize() method declared in class Object.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-0324-jiniology.html?0328txt

LDAP TUTORIAL: HOW YOU CAN MANIPULATE JAVA OBJECTS ON AN LDAP SERVER

Discover how LDAP and JNDI work together to provide a powerful directory 
and Java object storage facility. In this tutorial, you'll see concrete 
examples that demonstrate how you can store objects, search for objects, 
and see event handling in LDAP.

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-0324-ldap.html?0328txt

THIS WEEK'S NEW PRODUCT BRIEFS

Julie Salzmann delivers 11 informative company announcements and product 
briefs, including: Inprise/Borland ships version 3.5 of its visual 
Java-development tool; JDesignerPro 4.0 creates enterprise-level apps 
for wireless handhelds; Micrografx introduces business modeling tool; 
Sun's iForce Initiative helps establish ebusinesses; Javaboutique.com 
offers 600 Java downloads; Gordano unveils GLWebMail; and more!

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-2000/jw-0324-newsbriefs.html?0328txt

Best regards,
Carolyn Wong
Editor-in-Chief

*********************************************************************
SEND THIS TO A COLLEAGUE

Pass this newsletter along to a friend or colleague, and spread the 
word about JavaWorld, the leading Java online resource.

*********************************************************************
ITWORLD.COM SERVICES 

Lift the Limits on Content Delivery - FREE Webcast tells how!

Don't wait until you need a forklift to migrate to the next level of
broadband technology. Plan now to participate in "Dynamic Content
Delivery; Bypassing the Internet Bottleneck to Profitable Services" --
a FREE, Webcast presented by Nortel Networks.  Log on now and enter 
VIP # NOR-MR0-002 
http://www.itworld.com/itwebcast/nortel_cm.html

Chat with Bob Metcalfe LIVE online. . .FREE webcast!

>From Infoworld to the Internet, it’s "LIVE from the Ether" with Bob
Metcalfe, every Wednesday. Here’s your chance to interact online with
one of the world’s leading thinkers on IT technology and trends.
Register NOW to reserve your place! This webcast is sponsored by Compaq.
http://www.itworld.com/metcalfe

********************************************************************* 
FROM OUR PARTNERS 
        
Webshopper: Your One Stop Shop

Run a product search on WebShopper, and find the latest products,
prices, and information--all at one convenient location. With a
powerful pricing engine, trusted reviews, articles, and buying guides,
it's easier and faster than ever to shop online. Shop smart at
WebShopper:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1072475;4110592;z

*********************************************************************
CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can subscribe or unsubscribe from any newsletter by 
updating your form at: 
http://www.itworld.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/newsletters/subcontent12.html?

For subscription changes that cannot be handled via the web, 
please send an email to our customer service dept: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************
CONTACTS

* For editorial comments, write Carolyn Wong, Editor-In-Chief, 
JavaWorld at:  [email-masked]
 * For advertising information, write Dan Chupka, Account Executive 
at: [email-masked]
* For all other inquiries, write Jodie Naze, Product Manager,
Newsletters at: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************

JavaWorld is a trademark or registered trademark of 
Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries, and 
is used under license by International Data Group, Inc. All other 
product names and trademarks used in these articles are the 
trademarks of their respective owners. 

Copyright 2000 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 

http://www.itworld.com