Subject: new survey publication (fwd)

From: Saleh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:18:53 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 18:59:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Arun Jagota <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: new survey publication

New refereed e-publication 
action editor: Ron Sun

K. McGarry,  S. Wermter and J. MacIntyre,
Hybrid neural systems: from simple coupling to fully integrated 
neural networks, Neural Computing Surveys 2, 62--93, 1999. 102 
references.

http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~jagota/NCS

Abstract:

This paper describes techniques for integrating neural networks and
symbolic components into powerful hybrid systems. Neural networks have
unique processing characteristics that enable tasks to be performed 
that would be difficult or intractable for a symbolic rule-based system. 
However, a stand-alone neural network requires an interpretation either 
by a human or a rule-based system. This motivates the integration of 
neural/symbolic techniques within a hybrid system. A number of integration 
possibilities exist: some systems consist of neural network components 
performing symbolic tasks while other systems are composed of several 
neural networks and symbolic components, each component acting as a 
self-contained module communicating with the others. Other hybrid systems 
are able to transform subsymbolic representations into symbolic ones and
vice-versa. This paper provides an overview and evaluation of the state of 
the art of several hybrid neural systems for rule-based processing.