Subject: Java Careers Dispatch

From: [email-masked] (JavaWorld)
Date: Thu, 13 May 99 23:13:52 EST

Your JavaWorld Careers Dispatch. Today: salary trends,
reader FAQs.

Dear JavaWorld Reader:

We're launching the first of our new topical newsletters, this one
devoted to careers issues of interest to JavaWorld readers, and I
wanted to make sure you saw a copy of the first issue.

JAVA CAREERS DISPATCH for May 11, 1999

* Bill Day answers your Java-related career questions
* Rich Brews: Kane Scarlett U.S. tech salary trends

====================================================================

Q&A: Answers to reader concerns
by Bill Day, Contributing Editor

Each week, I'll answer reader questions about your career
development issues and problems. I'll get things started by listing
a few tips for you.  We'll build on this resource base in future
Q&A columns.

What follows are career resources I have found useful and
insightful;  I would love to hear your feedback!

-- Career Concerns --
SunWorld has been publishing the long-running "Career Advisor"
column by Pencom executive Edgar Saadi.  Very good material on a
variety of technology career questions.
http://www.sunworld.com/common/swol-backissues-columns.html#career

-- The Business Behind the Business --
Ever wondered how all of those job search and recruitment companies
stay in business? Here's the answer:  They seek out VC money and
float an IPO! Read up on the big business of recruiting in a
fascinating Industry Standard look at the industry and some of the
major players. (Hint: As with many things in life, learning to
follow the money can also help you manage your career and conduct a
job search.)
http://www.thestandard.com/articles/display/0,1449,4212,00.html

-- Let Your Fingers Do the Walking --
CareerPath.com lets you search newspaper classified job listings
throughout the United States. Interesting for gauging the market
realities in one or more different locations.
http://www.careerpath.com/

-- Just Java --
My specialty and passion for the past few years has been Java.
Looking for a Java-intensive job yourself?  Try the NetTemps' Java
Jobs search engine.  All Java, all the time.
http://www.net-temps.com/java/javajobs.html

-- Not at Java? Go to Sun. --
Didn't find the Java job for which you were looking? Sun, I hear,
is always hiring Java fanatics. http://java.sun.com/jobs/index.html

-- Make the Games Begin --
Interested in video games? Game development jobs, that is.  Seek
and ye shall find with the game development search engine provided
by Gamasutra (free registration required).
http://www.gamasutra.com/jobsearch/index.htm

-- Cut Out the Middle Man --
Want to read up on some sage advice on careers in the networked,
bit-based age but just can't find the time to print things out?
Check out the MemoWare e-document archive on careers and job
searching.  Load up that PalmPilot and go!
http://www.MemoWare.com/cgi/mwsearch.cgi?field=Category&string=Career

-- Only in San Francisco --
In the Bay Area?  Read a Sidewalk feature on high-tech headhunters
and how to take advantage of their services.
http://sanjose.sidewalk.msn.com/Link/35003

-- Next week, I'll go into detail on my current favorite career
resource, CareerCentral.com.  Meanwhile, let the questions begin!

   Bill Day is a contributing editor to JavaWorld; he can be
reached at [email-masked].

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Reader: Is your interest piqued? Like what you've read so far?
To get on the mailing list, visit http://www.techdispatch.com.
--Mac

------------------------------------------------------------------

RICH BREWS Salary trends, past and future.
by Kane Scarlett, contributing editor

Welcome to Rich Brews, where I'll bring you data digests of trends
on the market that effect your career. This week, let's look at
some general salary trends* for programmers, systems analysts,
system administrators, and network administrators. And we'll
consider a few specifics for developers working in the Java
space.** Following is a breakdown by region of the above-mentioned
careers.

-- Overall --
Average North American salaries for systems analysts (who, at
$54,672, earn the highest salaries of the four occupations
mentioned above) were $9,522 above the average salary for network
administrators (these being the lowest paid of the four at
$45,150).

-- By Region --
Although salaries for IT executive and upper-level managerial staff
were highest in the eastern United States, salaries for
programmers, analysts, and administrators topped the list in the
western U.S.

One piece of data identifies the western states as currently being
the true center of software development in the U.S.: Although
salaries for systems analysts were higher than salaries for
programmers everywhere else in the U.S. and Canada, programmers
averaged more ($59,500) in the Western U.S. than did analysts
($56,292).

Average salaries in 1998 by region:
               West     Midwest  East     South    Canada   N.America

Programmers    $59,500  $50,492  $58,144  $52,680  $47,526  $53,668

Sys analysts   $56,292  $53,163  $58,304  $53,974  $51,627  $54,672

Sys admins     $53,982  $48,579  $53,444  $49,630  $47,400  $50,607

Network admins $47,161  $42,072  $47,097  $42,765  $46,658  $45,150

-- Resources -- *From InformationWeek's "Research 1998 National IT
Salary Survey," CMP.
http://cmpweb-media0.web.cerf.net/ibi_html/salaries/.

**From Janet Ruhl's Computer Consultant's Resource Page.

   Kane Scarlett is a contributing editor to JavaWorld; he can be
reached at [email-masked].

Coming next week: -- Work trends -- Engineering your resume for a
java job -- More FAQs answered

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Look for more newsletters -- soon to be dispatched -- featuring
Java tutorials, the latest on Jini, and reviews of the latest Java
products.

Dear Reader: Hope you liked the first issue of our weekly JavaWorld
Careers Dispatch. Make sure you don't miss any future issues by
joining our mailing list at http://www.techdispatch.com. We're
creating more topic-specific newsletters too -- Java tutorials, the
latest on Jini, and more -- so check out our TechDispatch page from
time to time.

This newsletter is produced by Web Publishing Inc., publishers of
JavaWorld, SunWorld, LinuxWorld, Windows TechEdge, and a growing
line of topic-specific email newsletters for technical
professionals under the brand  name *TechDispatch*. We are an
International Data Group company and part of IDG.net, the IDG
Online Network (http://www.idg.net). Copyright (C) 1999 Web
Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in
part in any form or medium without express written permission of
Web Publishing, Inc., is prohibited.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
To stop receiving such messages, send email to [email-masked]
with a subject field of:

UNSUB javaworld [email-masked] jw1574

Questions? Email [email-masked]

Distribution, database maintenance and response management
by The Email Channel, Inc. For more information, send e-mail 
to [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------