Subject: JavaWorld This Week: Build a GUI library with Actions, Java Tip 92, and more!

From: JavaWorld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:38:38

JAVAWORLD THIS WEEK  --- April 18, 2000
JavaWorld is part of ITworld.com, the IT problem-solving network
http://www.javaworld.com

*********************************************************************
HIGHLIGHTS

* Cover Story: Boost your productivity with JFC's Action interface
* Improve performance analysis with the JVM Profiler interface
* Readers add functionality to Java Tip 42's firewall connectivity
* New Java-based products abound in News and New Product Briefs
* Get comprehensive Java help from ITworld.com's Expert Advice

********************************************************************* 
ADVERTISEMENT

Give your skills the projects they deserve.

There’s a new force at work-it’s called SkillsVillage.com. And it’s the
best way for IT professionals to find the best projects. Because we
match your unique skills with the most rewarding opportunities. We also
offer powerful tools to help you run your business. Absolutely free.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1168314;4195739;n

*********************************************************************
Dear JavaWorld reader,

Greetings from JavaWorld Alert, your email link to what's new at 
www.javaworld.com.

For the latest tutorials, tips, news, resources, and more, go to:

  http://www.javaworld.com

BOOST YOUR GUI DEVELOPMENT PRODUCTIVITY WITH JFC'S ACTION INTERFACE

This week's cover story, "JFC Actions" by Tony Sintes, details how you 
can use the JFC Action interface coupled with the Command pattern to 
build a reusable GUI command library -- a major boost to your 
development productivity. Run, don't walk to:
  
  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-04-2000/jw-0414-action.html?041800txt

JAVA TIP 92: IMPROVE PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS WITH THE JVM PROFILER

Performance analysis in a multi-threaded world can be difficult -- a 
difficulty "Java Tip 92: Use the JVM Profiler Interface for accurate 
timing" aims to alleviate. Put finger to mouse and click on:

  http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip92.html?041800txt

THREE NEW FOLLOW-UP TIPS ENHANCE JAVA TIP 42

"Java Tip 42: Write Java apps that work with proxy-based firewalls" 
shows you how to use Java to connect with HTTP servers outside your 
corporate firewall. Recently, readers sent us follow-up tips on using 
the system properties for JDK 1.1.7, using the sun.misc.BASE64ENCODER() 
class, and using Socks 4 proxy servers to add more functionality to 
Java Tip 42. Get it all here:

  http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip42.html?041800txt

NEW JAVA-BASED PRODUCTS CONTINUE TO BLOSSOM

Julie Salzmann keeps you informed on this week's important Java-based 
product news and announcements, including: Oracle's JDeveloper adds XML 
support, ProSyst introduces small mBedded Server, Stargazer 4.0 manages 
Avidia products, dtSearch unveils beta version of dtSearch Web, VSI and 
Extensibility integrate XML products, and Netegrity's SiteMinder 
secures J2EE platform, and more!

  http://www.javaworld.com/jw-04-2000/jw-0414-newsbriefs.html?041800txt

THE EXPERT ADVICE JAVA SECTION DELIVERS IN-DEPTH JAVA HELP

ITworld.com, JavaWorld's sister Website, now features Expert Advice, a 
free marketplace of technical help and advice. After a short sign up, 
you and your colleagues can ask for, as well as offer, advice on your 
most pressing Java conundrums. Beyond Java, you'll find communities 
focusing on XML, Linux, C++, and many more. JavaWorld strongly believes 
this important service can benefit you in your development process. 
Fight the good fight by going to:

  http://expertadvice.itworld.com

*********************************************************************
SEND THIS TO A COLLEAGUE

Pass this newsletter along to a friend or colleague, and spread the 
word about JavaWorld, the leading Java online resource.

*********************************************************************
ITWORLD.COM SERVICES 

Bob Metcalfe tackles IT topics LIVE online-FREE webcast!

You've read "From the Ether," now explore Bob Metcalfe's views even
further in a series of FREE webcasts every Wednesday. Register now so 
you can join in the discussions.  This event is sponsored by Compaq.
http://www.itworld.com/metcalfe

Need a Fast Solution to your IT problem?

Finding companies that can provide solutions and implementations for 
IT problems shouldn't be hard. Go to ITworld.com's RFP Center. It's FREE
to post your RFP to the extensive network of IT services and solutions providers.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;1087744;4127236;h

PC World Reviews: Get to the Point with Reviews you Can Use

Need that computing product fast, but want to be sure you're buying the
right one? Trust the experts at PC World to wade through the details
for you. We review only the best products. Get the straight scoop with
PC World Reviews.
http://www.pcworld.com/top400/0,1375,,00.html

*********************************************************************  
CUSTOMER SERVICE

You can subscribe or unsubscribe from any newsletter by 
updating your form at: 
http://www.itworld.com/cgi-bin/w3-msql/newsletters/subcontent12.html?

For subscription changes that cannot be handled via the web, 
please send an email to our customer service dept: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************
CONTACTS

* For editorial comments, write Carolyn Wong, Editor-In-Chief, 
JavaWorld at:  [email-masked]
 * For advertising information, write Dan Chupka, Account Executive 
at: [email-masked]
* For all other inquiries, write Jodie Naze, Product Manager,
Newsletters at: [email-masked]

*********************************************************************

JavaWorld is a trademark or registered trademark of 
Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries, and 
is used under license by International Data Group, Inc. All other 
product names and trademarks used in these articles are the 
trademarks of their respective owners. 

Copyright 2000 ITworld.com, Inc., All Rights Reserved. 

http://www.itworld.com