Subject: JAVAR1.1BETA

From: "Aart J.C. Bik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:21:07 -0500 (EST)

Dear colleague,

Checking out the mail-archive, I saw that the
last message may have been empty. Therefore another attempt
(but apologies if you receive this message several times):

======
Version 1.1BETA of JAVAR has been released.
Except for some bug fixes and additional features,
the major difference with respect to 1.0BETA
is the support to transfer exceptions 
in parallel loops back to the initial thread.
You can obtain the new release at the home
page of HP java:

http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/hpjava/

Please reply if you do not want to keep
informed on new releases of JAVAR.
========
Old announcement:

                         JAVAR
       a prototype restructuring compiler for Java

JAVAR is a prototype restructuring compiler that can be
used to make implicit parallelism in Java programs explicit
by means of multi-threading. Although the prototype tool does
NOT provide a complete Java front-end (unicode escapes are
not supported and only limited semantic analysis has been 
implemented) and it relies completely on the identification
of `implicit' parallelism by means of annotations, we hope that
the tool provides sufficient functionality to make the
parallelization less complex and less error prone.

Documentation of the parallelization methods used by JAVAR,
the JAVAR manual, LICENSE information, and the complete
Lex, Yacc, and C-source of JAVAR are made available for education, 
research, and non-profit purposes.  These files are located
at the HP-Java page at Indiana University:

  http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/hpjava/

+------------------------------------------------------------+
|Aart J.C. Bik                          [email-masked]|
|http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/~ajcbik/                     |
|http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~ajcbik/     fax:   812-855-4829|
|Lindley Hall 215,   Comp. Science Dept.  phone: 812-855-4081| 
|Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405-4101,     USA|
+------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Bodo Parady - SMCC Performance Development <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 09:49:41 -0800

For all of those wishing to influence SPEC98 with Java, C or Fortran
benchmrks, and for everybody who has been complaining about SPEC
benchmarks without so far offering anything constructive to remedy 
them; see

         http://www.specbench.org/osg/cpu98/search.html

Regards.

						Bodo