Subject: Advance Program: ACM 1998 Workshop on Java for High-Performance Network Computing

From: "Klaus E. Schauser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 00:15:13 -0800

ACM 1998 Workshop on 
      Java for High-Performance Network Computing 

       Stanford University, Palo Alto, California

            February 28 & March 1, 1998 

              Sponsored by ACM SIGPLAN

    Student Participation Supported by NSF and DARPA

       http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/conferences/java98 

The workshop focuses on the use of Java in the broad area of
high-performance computing; including engineering and scientific
computing, simulations, parallel and distributed computing,
data-intensive applications, and other emerging applications that
combine communication and computing. The workshop is aimed at
getting a broad perspective of community interests and views, as well
as more technical discussions. The goal is to provide feedback to
users and language developers on what is required to successfully
deploy Java in scientific and high-performance computing 
environments.  

Similar Java workshops were held very successfully in Syracuse in
1996 and in Las Vegas in 1997 (http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/javaforcse). 
A mailing list has been created for people interested in Java for 
Science and Engineering Computation. To join, send a message with 
"subscribe java-for-cse" to [email-masked]. 

PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS 
      
  Siamak Hassanzadeh                    Klaus Schauser
  High Performance Computing            Parallel Systems Lab
  901 San Antonio Rd., MS MPK12-201     Department of Computer Science 
  Sun Microsystems Computer Corp        University of California
  Palo Alto, CA 94303                   Santa Barbara, CA 93106 
  Phone: (650) 786-3942                 Phone: (805) 893-3926 
  FAX: (650) 786-6455                   FAX: (805) 893-8553 
  [email-masked]            [email-masked]

PROGRAM COMMITTEE 
       
  Mani Chandy               Caltech
  Jack Dongarra             University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge Nat. Lab 
  Roger Golliver            Intel
  Ian Foster                Argonne National Laboratory 
  Geoffrey C. Fox           Syracuse University
  Dennis Gannon             Indiana University 
  Siamak Hassanzadeh        Sun Microsystems
  Urs Hoelzle               University of California-Santa Barbara 
  Susan Flynn Hummel        IBM T.J. Watson Research
  Carl Kesselman            USC - ISI
  Wei Li                    Oracle
  Michael Philippsen        University of Karlsruhe
  Klaus E. Schauser         University of California-Santa Barbara 
  David Tarditi             Microsoft Research
  George K. Thiruvathukal   Argonne National Laboratory

ADVANCE PROGRAM

Saturday, February 28, 1998

     8:30am - 9:15am: Invited Talk 

          Title TBA 
          James Gosling, Sun Microsystems 

     9:15am - 10:30am: Session (1) 

          Titanium: A High-Performance Java Dialect 
          Alex Aiken, Phil Colella, David Gay, Susan Graham, Paul Hilfinger,
          Arvind Krishnamurthy, Ben Liblit, Carleton Miyamoto, Geoff Pike, 
          Luigi Semenzato, and Kathy Yelick
          University of California at Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National
          Laboratory 

          Monitors and Exceptions: How to efficiently implement Java 
          Andreas Krall and Mark Probst
          Technical University, Vienna, Austria 

          Converting C Pointers to Java References 
          Erik D. Demaine
          University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada 

     10:30am - 11:00am: Coffee Break 

     11:00am - 12:15am: Session (2) 

          Developing numerical libraries in Java 
          Ronald F. Boisvert, Jack J. Dongarra, Roldan Pozo, Karin A.
          Remington, and G. W. Stewart
          NIST Gaithersburg, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Oak Ridge
          National Laboratory, and University of Maryland at College Park 

          High-Performance Parallel Programming in Java: Exploiting
          Native Libraries 
          Sava Mintchev, Susan Flynn-Hummel, and Vladimir Getov
          University of Westminster and IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
 
          Native-Language-Based Distributed Computing Across Network
          and Filesystem Boundaries 
          Paul A. Gray and Vaidy S. Sunderam
          Emory University 

     12:15am - 1:30pm: Lunch 

     1:30pm - 2:45pm: Session (3) 

          Reflective Remote Method Invocation 
          George K. Thiruvathukal, Lovely S. Thomas, and Andy T. Korczynski
          Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois Institute of Technology, and
          Tools of Computing LLC 

          Performance Evaluation of Popular Distributed Object
          Technologies for Java 
          Satoshi Hirano, Yoshiji Yasu, and Hirotaka Igarashi
          HORB Open, Electrotechnical Laboratory, High Energy Accelerator
          Research Organization, and Aoyama Gakuin University, Japan 

          Java RMI Performance and Object Model Interoperability:
          Experiments with Java/HPC++ Distributed Components 
          Fabian Breg, Shridhar Diwan, Juan Villacis, Jayashree 
          Balasubramanian, Esra Akman, and Dennis Gannon
          Indiana University 

     2:45am - 3:15am: Coffee Break 

     3:15pm - 4:30pm: Session (4) 

          JSPICE: A Component-based Distributed Java Front-End For SPICE 
          Dan Souder, Morgan Herrington, Rajat P. Garg, and Dennis DeRyke
          Sun Microsystems 

          Fornax: Web-based Distributed Discrete Event Simulation in Java 
          Berry A. W. van Halderen, and Benno J. Overeinder
          University of Amsterdam 

          Large-Scale Parallel Geophysical Algorithms in Java: A 
          Feasibility Study 
          Matthias Jacob, Michael Philippsen, and Martin Karrenbach
          University of Karlsruhe, Germany 

     4:30pm - 6:30pm: Poster Session 

          Adaptive Placement of Parallel Java Agents in a Scalable
          Computing Cluster 
          Arie Keren and Amnon Barak
          The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel 

          Algebraic Java classes for numerical optimization 
          Matthias Schwab and Joel Schroeder
          Stanford 

          CEV: Collaborative Environment for Visualization Using
          Java-RMI 
          Michael Boyles, Rajeev Raje, and Shiaofen Fang
          Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis 

          Communication Performance of Java based Parallel Virtual
          Machines 
          Yalamanchilli Narendar and William Cohen
          University of Alabama in Huntsville 

          Cracking RC5 with Java applets 
          Pavel Gladychev, Ahmed Pate, and Donal O’Mahony
          University College Dublin and Trinity College Dublin, Ireland 

          DOGMA: Distributed Object Group Management Architecture 
          Glenn Judd, Mark Clement, and Quinn Snell
          Brigham Young University 

          DOVE: Distributed Objects based scientific Visualization
          Environment 
          Mark Abbott and Lalit Kumar Jain
          Oregon State University, Corvallis 

          HPJava : data parallel extensions to Java 
          Bryan Carpenter, Guansong Zhang, Geofrey Fox, Xinying Li, and
          Yuhong Wen
          Syracuse University 

          Java Signal Processing: FFTs with bytecodes 
          John Glossner, Jesse Thilo, Stamatis Vassiliadis
          Lucent, Bell Labs, and Delft University of Technology 

          JPVM: Network Parallel Computing in Java 
          Adam J. Ferrari
          University of Virginia, Charlottesville 

          JTED: Distributed Discrete-Event Simulation in Java 
          James Cowie and Marina Chen
          Cooperating Systems Corporation 

          JWarp: A Java Library For Parallel Discrete-Event Simulations 
          Pedro Bizarro, Luís M. Silva, and João Gabriel Silva
          Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal 

          Parallel Computer Algebra Software as a Web Component 
          Andreas Weber, Wolfgang Kuechlin, Bernhard Eggers, and Volker
          Simonis
          University of Tuebingen, Germany 

          Performance Measurement of Interpreted Programs 
          Tia Newhall and Barton P. Miller
          University of Wisconsin, Madison 

          A Prototype Bytecode Parallelization Tool 
          Aart J.C. Bik and Dennis B. Gannon
          Indiana University 

          Supporting Universal Personal Computing on Internet with Java
          and CORBA 
          Jinsong Zhu, Maria Toeroe, Victor Leung, and Son Vuong
          University of British Columbia, Vancouver 

          Towards Bayanihan: Building an Extensible Framework for
          Volunteer Computing Using Java 
          Luis F. G. Sarmenta, Satoshi Hirano, and Stephen A. Ward
          MIT and Electrotechnical Laboratory 

          Using a Global Event Model in Developing Distributed Control
          Systems 
          K. Mani Chandy and Adam Rifkin
          Caltech 

     6:30pm: Dinner 

Sunday, March 1, 1998

     8:30am - 9:15am: Invited Talk 

          Title TBA 
          Speaker TBA 

     9:15am - 10:30am: Session (5) 

          An Infrastructure for Network Computing with Java Applets 
          A. Baratloo, M. Karaul, H. Karl, and Z. M. Kedem
          New York University 

          A Java Framework for Seamless Sequential, Multi-threaded, and
          Distributed Programming 
          Denis Caromel and Julien Vayssiere
          INRIA Sophia Antipolis, France 

          Ninflet: a Migratable Parallel Objects Framework using Java 
          Hiromitsu Takagi, Satoshi Matsuoka, Hidemoto Nakada, Satoshi
          Sekiguchi, Mitsuhisa Satoh, Umpei Nagashima
          Nagoya Institute of Technology, Tokyo Institute of Technology,
          Electrotechnical Laboratory, Real World Computing Partnership, and
          Ochanomizu University 

     10:30am - 11:00am: Coffee Break 

     11:00am - 12:15am: Session (6) 

          DARP: Java-based Data Analysis and Rapid Prototyping
          Environment for Distributed High Performance Computations 
          Erol Akarsu, Geoffrey Fox, and Tomasz Haupt
          Syracuse University 

          Bridging the Gap between Distributed Shared Memory and
          Message Passing 
          Holger Karl
          New York University 

          Scivis 
          Byeongseob Ki and Scott Klasky
          Syracuse University 

     12:15am - 1:30pm: Lunch 

     1:30pm - 5:30pm: Java for HPC Forum 

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 

REGISTRATION FORM

Please pre-register.   It is important for planing of catering to 
obtain a precise estimate of attendees.   Even if you can't pre-register 
now, please let us know if you intend to participate. E-mail your name,
affiliation, and dietary needs to [email-masked]. 

Name (title, first, last): _________________________________________

Name tag should read: ______________________________________________

Affiliation: _______________________________________________________

Address: ___________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________

Phone: _____________________________________________________________

Fax: _______________________________________________________________

E-mail: ____________________________________________________________

Special needs (including dietary): _________________________________

Please mark selections with X:

Workshop registration (in U.S. dollars)

ACM member         150 ___  
Non-Member         170 ___
Full-Time Student   60 ___

ACM membership number: ______________________

Fees must be paid in U.S. dollars.  Please mark method of payment:

Check (from U.S. bank, made payable to ACM Java'98) __  Money Order __

Credit Card:  Visa __  MasterCard __

Credit Card Number: ______________________ Expiration Date: _______

Signature: ____________________________ Date: _____________________

Please complete and return this form with your remittance to:

       George K. Thiruvathukal
       Attn: ACM Java '98 Workshop Registration
       Argonne National Laboratory
       Mathematics and Computer Science Division
       9700 South Cass Avenue
       Argonne, IL 60439

       E-mail: [email-masked]
       Phone: (630) 252-1151
       Fax: (630) 252-5986

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 

STUDENT SUPPORT

NSF and DARPA have made funds available to support student participation 
at the ACM 1998 Workshop on Java for High-Performance Network Computing. 
Special thanks to John Van Rosendale (NSF) and Frederica Darema (DARPA) 
for making this possible.

Funds are limited, so please apply early. Please fill out the form below 
and e-mail it to Klaus Schauser at [email-masked].

Name: ______________________________________________________________

Affiliation: _______________________________________________________

Address: ___________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________

Phone: _____________________________________________________________

Fax: _______________________________________________________________

E-mail: ____________________________________________________________

Student status (undergraduate/graduate): ___________________________

Are you presenting a paper at Java'98: _____________________________

Are you a co-author of a paper at Java'98: _________________________

Estimated travel cost: _____________________________________________
   (call airlines or check www.got.com for fares)

Please complete and return this form to:

       Klaus Schauser
       Department of Computer Science
       University of California at Santa Barbara
       Santa Barbara, CA 93106

       E-mail: [email-masked]
       Phone: (805) 893-4321
       FAX:   (805) 893-8553 

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 

HOTELS and DIRECTIONS

Check the web page http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/conferences/java98
for more information, including a list of nearby hotels
and directions to the Stanford campus.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 Klaus E. Schauser                 E-mail: [email-masked] 
 Assistant Professor               Phone: (805) 893-3926 
 Department of Computer Science           (805) 893-4321 
 University of California          FAX:   (805) 893-8553 
 Santa Barbara, CA 93106           http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~schauser 
--------------------------------------------------------------------