Subject: SIAM Workshop on OO Methods for Inter-operable Sci+Eng Computing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 98 16:10:05 EST

While not devoted to Java specifically, I thought that this workshop
would be of interest to the Java-for-CSE community, and I would like
to encourage you to participate.

Mike Henderson
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Participation:

  SIAM Workshop on Object Oriented Methods for Inter-operable Scientific
                    and Engineering Computing

                        October 21-23, 1998
                           IBM Research
                     Yorktown Heights, New York

Background:

  There is a growing awareness in the universities, and industrial
  and governmental labs, that object oriented methods have the potential
  for greatly improving the usefulness of computers in science and
  engineering.  There are already many efforts underway to redesign and
  reimplement large codes that were written in the 70's and 80's to take
  advantage of the improvement in maintainability and flexibility that
  OO designs offer.

  There still remains a large opportunity to improve the amount of reuse
  within the community.  Repositories such as Netlib and indices like
  GAMS have improved our ability to share code, but making the shared
  code useful requires widespread agreement about how the code is
  structured and how scientific and engineering codes should
  interoperate.

  The world is changing.  It used to be that large companies had their
  own internal development teams, which implemented techniques from the
  open literature or developed their own proprietary methods.
  University researchers looked for methods for new classes of problems,
  and pushed the limits of problem size. Software companies provided
  application packages aimed at solving common problems, bundled
  with everything from front-ends, to mesh generation and back-ends.

  Now, as many large companies are cutting back on in-house software
  development, universities and government labs seem to be doing increasingly
  more software development and software vendors are springing up to provide
  special purpose codes.

  What are the new roles for academics, software companies, and industry?
  Can a university department support a software product?  How does a
  company test and fire-harden research code?  How can software
  companies quickly incorporate new methods into a professional quality
  product? Who owns what, and who supports what?

  This interdisciplinary workshop will bring together representatives from
  academia, software vendors, industry, and government labs, to identify
  current and future challenges to implementing and using mathematical
  algorithms in scientific and engineering computing.

Site:

  The Thomas J. Watson Research Center, established in 1961, serves as the
  worldwide headquarters for IBM Research.  With  facilities in Yorktown
  Heights and Hawthorne in New York's Westchester County, the lab houses more
  than 1,200 scientists focusing research in the areas of  semiconductors,
  physical and computer sciences, and mathematics.

  Yorktown Heights is located 50 miles north of New York City.

Organizing Committee:

  Mike Henderson, IBM Research
  Chris Anderson, UCLA
  Steve Lyons, Mobil Technology Co.

Presentations:

  The workshop will consist of 3 days of contributed and invited
  presentations and discussions including, but not limited to, the
  broad topics of:

       The current state of the art.
          - Tools that work together well (or poorly).
          - The environments in which codes are used.
          - How new techniques make their way to industrial use.

       Developing interoperable scientific codes.
          - Packaging codes.
          - Balancing interoperability with performance.
          - Maintenance and ownership of codes.

       Future directions.
          - Language of the future.
          - Design techniques.
          - Standards for the interoperation of mathematical software?

  Case studies, position papers proposing topics for discussion, and
  technical talks describing particular approaches are solicited.
  The organizers are looking for a broad spectrum of participants,
  including those involved in the development of industrial codes,
  and industrial end users.

How to Contribute:

   A report will be issued covering the workshop. Participants will be
   required to submit a document for inclusion in this report.
   Those wishing to participate should submit an abstract of a
   case study, position paper or technical talk by July 1, 1998.
   Abstracts should be sent to [email-masked].
   Notifications of acceptance will be sent by July 30, 1998.

Important Dates to Remember:
    July 1, 1998,   deadline for submission of extended abstract.
    July 30, 1998,  notification of acceptance.
    August 31 1998, deadline for submission of final paper.