Subject: First UK Workshop: Java for HPNC

From: [email-masked] (Omer F Rana)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 19:17:56 +0100 (BST)

This is a call for interest ... we are planning to hold
the first UK workshop at Cardiff in September, immediately 
after EuroPar 1998 (which is scheduled for September 1-4 at
Southampton). 

Please let me know if you are interested in attending this
workshop or submitting a paper. More details will be posted in
a few weeks. Please monitor the web site:

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/User/O.F.Rana/hpjava/workshop/workshop.html

Hopefully, we will be building on lessons learned from 
the efforts of Geofferey Fox and George Thiruvathukal,
and identify areas of interest within the UK research community.

Apologies if you get more than one copy of this email.

Omer Rana

        ======================================================
                        FIRST  UK  WORKSHOP ON
                        JAVA FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE NETWORK-COMPUTING

                        September 1998
                        University of Wales
                        Cardiff

This first workshop is loosely based on the ACM workshop held at
Stanford in March 1998. The workshop will focus on the use of the Java
programming language for parallel and scientific computing, including
engineering and scientific applications of Java, simulations,
distributed  resource management, on-line analytical processing and
data-intensive applications, and other emerging applications that
combine distributed object technology with networking.

The workshop is also aimed at bringing together the UK research
community involved in this area, and to get a broad perspective of
community interests and views.  Authors are e requested to submit short
proposals that demonstrate timely results and application of Java based
technologies, which could have an impact on the use of Java in high
performance computing systems. Similar workshops have proved very
successful in the US (Syracuse 1996, Las Vegas 1997 and Stanford 1998).
We hope the UK workshop will be even more so.

The topics of interest include (but are not restricted to):

        o       Java based numerical libraries
        o       Java computing frameworks and collaborative environments
        o       Java with parallel libraries such as PVM/MPI
        o       Java compilers for improving  execution performance
                (caching strategies, optimisations, native libraries)
        o       Java as wrapper technology to existing scientific codes
        o       Java/CORBA integration for scientific computing
        o       Translations from C/C++/Fortran to Java
        o       Java applications (e.g. real world high performance
		computing, grand challenge applications)
        o       Java for real time multimedia / digital television
        o       Java based embedded and real time systems
        o       Java/Web TV

    ======================================================

-- 
(http://www-asds.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ofr/)(http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/User/O.F.Rana/)
                 (work:01222 874000 x 5542)(play:0956-299-981)
      room s/2.03, dept of computer science, university of wales - cardiff,
                         po box 916, cardiff cf2 3xf, uk
	----------------------------------------------------------------
	"Text processing has made it possible to right-justify any idea, even
	one which cannot be justified on any other grounds."
	- J. Finnegan, USC.