Subject: Symphony

From: "V.-H. Winterer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:47:33 +0100

Dear readers of the java-for-cse mailing list,

in response to several requests to use Symphony, the (prototype of a) 
virtual parallel network computer, I have added a downloadable
distribution to the Symphony pages. I have also added the slides of the
talks I gave two weeks ago at UC Berkeley and at Lawrence Berkeley
National Lab (LBNL).
Please see http://vowi.ruf.uni-freiburg.de/compute under the "about"
link.

Remark for the users of Netscape Communicator on UNIX platforms:
As the Java VM built into the UNIX variants of Netscape Communicator
isn't reliable and very slow, use preferably the appletviewer to connect
UNIX platforms to the Symphony processing, i.e. loading the Symphony
applet under the join link. This problem should be resolved with the
release of version 5 of the Communicator. It is announced that it will
embed the JVM provided by the local operating system, which usually
performs far better.
See http://vowi.ruf.uni-freiburg.de/compute/talk/scalarperf.html for 
qualitative performance results.

Best regards,
               Volker-Henning Winterer    
-- 

  Dr. Volker-H. Winterer                                        
  Rechenzentrum                  Office:              RZ-113
  Universitaet Freiburg          Phone:     +49 761 203-4646
  Hermann-Herder-Str. 10         FAX:       +49 761 203-4643
  D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.        mailto:[email-masked]
  http://www.uni-freiburg.de/rz/signatures/winterer.sig.html