Subject: Draft Preliminary Program Dec16-17

From: Geoffrey Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:08:32 -0500

Geoffrey Fox  [email-masked],   http://www.npac.syr.edu 
Phone 3154432163 (Npac central 3154431723) Fax 3154434741

I am sitting in Hotel with laptop and likely to
have made errors.Please Comment on plans
Thanks

Preliminay Agenda -- Java for Science and Engineering Computation
Dec16-Dec17 CST Building (NPAC) Syracuse University
Start 9 am Dec16
Coffee etc. 8.30

Introduction and Goals
Geoffrey Fox Syracuse
Optimized Compilation of Java
	Zoran Budimlic Rice "Experiences at Sun Compiling Java"
	Wei Li, Rochester "Optimizing Byte Codes"
The Java VM as a Compiler Intermediate Representation
        Includes Mapping C Fortran C++ to Java
	Panel Session (Xiaoming Li Syracuse)
Java Plus Message Passing
	George Thiruvathu Argonne "Java in Nexus"
Using Java in Science
	Paul Houle, Cornell "Java as a front end to Simulation"
	Simon Catterrall/Simeon Warner, Syracuse "Teaching Membrane Physics"
	Kivanc Dincer "Java in the Virtual Programming Laboratory"
Java as part of Web Technology based Computation Environments
	Klaus Erik Schauser UCSB "Super Web"
	Susan Hummel Poly "Java Producer/Consumer"
	Wojtek Furmanski Syracuse "WebFlow  and VDCE"
(Data) Parallel Java (HPJava)
	Aart Bik Indiana "Parallelizing Java"
	Bryan Carpenter, Michael Chang Syracuse "Experiments with HPJava"
Java Run Time, I/O and other issues
	Panel Session (Don Leskiw Syracuse)
Industry Perspective
	To be Confirmed

Awaiting Titles
	Joel Saltz, Alan Sussman Maryland
	Jim Cowie, Marina Chen  Cooperating Systems/Boston

Note: Special Issue of Concurrency Practice and Experience
Deadline for Papers: February 1 1997
Note I will view presentation of paper at this workshop and comments thereon
as equivalent to refereeing process and this is deadline for final copies!

Old Annoucement

This is extracted from  page at http://www.npac.syr.edu/users/gcf/javaforcse.html
Java for High Performance Scientific and Engineering Computing; Simulation
and Modelling

Geoffrey Fox, NPAC, Syracuse University, 111 College Place, Syracuse, NY
13244-4100

[email-masked], http://www.npac.syr.edu
There is an email discussion list [email-masked] You can
subscribe to mailing list with http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/javaforcse
This has a database search backend at http://kayak.npac.syr.edu:1963/cse/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small Invitation Only Workshop on Java for High Performance Scientific and
Engineering Computing; Simulation and Modelling in beautiful Syracuse New
York December 16 and 17 (contact [email-masked] for details)
This Meeting will start 9am on Monday December 16 at NPAC and finish at 1pm
the following day -- Here is how to get to NPAC from Airport and from local
hotels.
Rooms have been reserved at the nearest hotel to the University -- The
University Sheraton which has has blocked 20 rooms for the "JAVA
conference". Visitors should call 1-800-395-2105 to reserve a room, when
reserving a room they need to mention "JAVA conference", the rate is
$82.00/night. Visitors need to make their reservations by December 6, 1996,
after this time, the block will be released to the general public. Other
Hotels are also near the University and good choices -- As shown on local
sketchmap, the Genessee Inn and Holiday Inn are quite convenient.
Note Syracuse is not a giant metropolis and features low latency airports
and road travel. It is about 20 minutes from Airport to Hotels/NPAC. Taxis
have curious feature that you pay at Airport for trips from there.
It has been known to be chilly in Syracuse during december and it gets more
snow per year than any comparable city in U.S.A. Please note this when
packing

Selected Presentations at this Workshop will be published in a special issue of
Concurrency:Practice and Experience!