Subject: LAPACK-D 0.8 beta release

From: Paul Houle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:27:13 +0100

I posted on this list about a week ago about my plans to develop Java
bindings for
LAPACK.  This effort has been successful.  I have just completed packaging the

first major component of the system,  LAPACK-D.  LAPACK-D is a dynamically
loadable version of the CLAPACK library.  The primary change has been an
upgrade
of the build system to use GNU automake/autoconf/libtool.  Also,  a large
amount of
unportable dead code has been removed from the FORTRAN emulation library used,

header files added (writing C without header files is like playing Russian
Roulette with
six bullets in the gun),  and changes made in the types in f2c.h that increase
compatibility
with Java and reflect the widespread use of 32 and 64-bit machines.

    You can get LAPACK-D at

http://www.honeylocust.com/lapack_d/

   I've compiled it successfully on Digital Unix,  Linux and AIX and I'd love
to see what
results people have on other platforms.

    In a few weeks I'll be posting the first version of LAPACK-J.  I've gotten
"first light"
on it,  but packaging it will take some additional work.  I also will be
releasing DIZZY,  a
Java-implemented physics code that depends on LAPACK-J.  However,  I've got
two
papers to write on at most tangentially related subjects and they've just
suckered me into
giving a talk on quantum cryptography,  so it might take a while.

---

From: Paul Houle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:27:13 +0100

You can get LAPACK-D at