Subject: JAMA: A Java Matrix Package

From: [email-masked] (Ronald F Boisvert)
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 02:29:09 -0400

JAMA is an elementary linear algebra package for Java.  It provides
basic user-level classes for defining and computing with real dense
matrices.  Among its capabilities are the following:

Object manipulation: constructors, get, set, copy, clone Elementary
operations: addition, multiplication, norm, transpose, etc.
Decompositions: Cholesky, LU, QR, SVD, eigenvalue Linear equation
solution: regular and least squares Derived quantities: condition,
determinant, rank, inverse

JAMA is intended to serve as _the_ standard matrix class for Java,
and will be proposed as such to Sun via the Java Grande Forum.  A
straightforward public-domain reference implementation has been
developed as a strawman proposal for such a class.  We are releasing
this version in order to obtain public comment. There is no guarantee 
that future versions of JAMA will be compatible with this one.

The initial version of JAMA was developed by Joe Hicklin, Cleve Moler
and Peter Webb of the MathWorks and Ron Boisvert, Bruce Miller,
Roldan Pozo and Karin Remington of NIST.

Further information on JAMA, including complete documentation and
source code, can be obtained at http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/jama/.