Subject: Plans for SC97 Birds of a Feather Session

From: Geoffrey Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 10:55:30 -0500

Java for Science and Engineering Enthusiasts!
SC97 Conference Birds of a Feather Session scheduled 5.30pm in Room A4 of San Jose
Convention Center on Wednesday, November 19 -- see you there! 
(http://www.supercomp.org/sc97/bofs.html)

As we only have 90 minutes during the BOF session and we'll have
a workshop shortly afterwards in Feb '98 
(http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/conferences/java98),
it's been sugggested that we use the BOF session to discuss the plans for the
establishment of the "forum" to scope and define the role of Java in HPC.
Something similar to HPF Forum or MPI Forum.

The format for the BOF will be a panel discussion, with each panelist
making a 5 min presentation outlining their perspectives on this topic.
Panelists will include Siamak Hassanzadeh and perhaps other from Sun who
will support such a process if considered important by the community.
Here's the proposed agenda:

SC97 BOF: Java for High performance Network Computing

        A panel discussion to scope and define the role of Java 
        for High-Performance Network Computing. The particular 
        focus of this panel will be to discuss the creation of
        "javaHPC Forum", a coalition of industry, academic and 
        research institution representatives to:
        
        1 - Ensure that the Java Language and JavaVM runtime
        are as attractive as possible (best case) or at least 
        contain essential feature (worst case) for use in 
        computational science and engineering;
        
        2 - Define "A Java Framework for Computing Services",
        i.e, uniform interfaces to (HPC) systems to enable the
        development of interoperable (Web) interfaces to general 
        computing environments;
        
        3 - Advise software developers on where to focus their
        efforts: What features do programmers use?  What features
        need better implementations?  
        
Attendee participation is highly encouraged.
This announcement is at
http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/javaforcse/

Geoffrey Fox  [email-masked],   http://www.npac.syr.edu 
Director of NPAC and Professor of Physics and Computer Science
Phone 3154432163 (Npac central 3154431723) Fax 3154434741