Subject: Call-For-Papers: ACM 1998 Workshop on Java for High-Performance Network Computing

From: "Klaus E. Schauser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 17:37:48 -0800

Just a reminder.  The deadline for paper submission is
coming up soon (Dec. 7th).
  
Klaus
  
----  ----  ----  ----  ----  ----  ----  ----  ----  ----  ---- 

                 ACM 1998 Workshop on 
      Java for High-Performance Network Computing 

     Sponsored (pending) by SIGPLAN, NSF, and DARPA 

   Palo Alto, California, February 28 & March 1, 1998 

       http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/conferences/java98 

The workshop focuses on the use of Java in the broad area of
high-performance computing; including engineering and scientific
computing, simulations, parallel and distributed computing,
data-intensive applications, and other emerging applications that
combine communication and computing. The workshop is aimed at
getting a broad perspective of community interests and views, as well
as more technical discussions. The goal is to provide feedback to
users and language developers on what is required to successfully
deploy Java in scientific and high-performance computing 
environments. Authors are invited to submit manuscripts that
demonstrate timely results, technologies, or experiences that are 
most likely to have impact on the use of Java in high performance
computing systems. 

Topics of interest include but are not restricted to: 

  * Java computing frameworks (e.g. HPC, numeric, data parallel)
  * Web based computation environments in Java
  * Java in sequential and distributed simulations
  * Java runtime systems and I/O
  * Java numerics
  * Java applications (e.g. real-world HPC, grand challenge) 
  * Java compilers (e.g. optimizations, just-in-time vs. off-line)
  * Compilers that target or optimize Java bytecode 
  * Source-to-source translators (e.g. C, Fortran, and C++ to Java)
  * Java performance and benchmarking 
  * Java as user interface to simulation
  * Java as wrapper technology for existing scientific codes
  * Java applets to illustrate science for education

Similar Java workshops were held very successfully in Syracuse in
1996 and in Las Vegas in 1997 (http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/javaforcse). 
A mailing list has been created for people interested in Java for 
Science and Engineering Computation. To join, send a message with 
"subscribe java-for-cse" to [email-masked]. 

SUBMISSION 

Papers should report new research and should not exceed 5000 words
(approximately 10 pages typeset on 16-point spacing, or 15
typewritten double-spaced pages). The program committee will
review each submission and select papers based on originality,
timeliness, relevance, and clarity. All accepted papers will be
presented at the workshop, and published in a special issue of the
journal "Concurrency: Practice and Experience". 

Electronic submission is preferred. Please e-mail a Postscript or PDF
copy of your submission or send three hard copies to one of the
co-chairs. Submissions must be received by December 7, 1997.
Authors will be notified by January 12, 1998. Final camera-ready
versions are due by February 7. 

PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS 
      
  Siamak Hassanzadeh                    Klaus Schauser
  High Performance Computing            Parallel Computing Lab
  901 San Antonio Rd., MS MPK12-201     Department of Computer Science 
  Sun Microsystems Computer Corp        University of California
  Palo Alto, CA 94303                   Santa Barbara, CA 93106 
  Phone: (650) 786-3942                 Phone: (805) 893-3926 
  FAX: (650) 786-6455                   FAX: (805) 893-8553 
  [email-masked]            [email-masked]
        
PROGRAM COMMITTEE 
       
  Mani Chandy               Caltech
  Jack Dongarra             University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge Nat. Lab 
  Roger Golliver            Intel
  Ian Foster                Argonne National Laboratory 
  Geoffrey C. Fox           Syracuse University
  Dennis Gannon             Indiana University 
  Siamak Hassanzadeh        Sun Microsystems
  Urs Hoelzle               University of California-Santa Barbara 
  Susan Flynn Hummel        IBM T.J. Watson Research
  Carl Kesselman            USC - ISI
  Wei Li                    Oracle
  Michael Philippsen        University of Karlsruhe
  Klaus E. Schauser         University of California-Santa Barbara 
  David Tarditi             Microsoft Research
  George K. Thiruvathukal   Argonne National Laboratory

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 Klaus E. Schauser                 E-mail: [email-masked] 
 Assistant Professor               Phone: (805) 893-3926 
 Department of Computer Science           (805) 893-4321 
 University of California          FAX:   (805) 893-8553 
 Santa Barbara, CA 93106           http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~schauser 
--------------------------------------------------------------------