Subject: Initial Document

From: Geoffrey Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 21:27:53 -0500

Java for High Performance Scientific and Engineering Computing; Simulation
and Modelling

Geoffrey Fox, NPAC, Syracuse University, 111 College Place, Syracuse, NY
13244-4100

[email-masked], http://www.npac.syr.edu
This page is http://www.npac.syr.edu/users/gcf/javaforcse.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supercomputing 96 Birds of a Feather November 20 Wednesday 1:30 - 3:30 in
Armstrong Room of DoubleTree Hotel in Pittsburgh

Small Invitation Only Workshop in beautiful Syracuse New York December 16
and 17 (contact [email-masked] for details)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   * These meetings are aimed at discussing all issues of using Java in
     simulations where today we use Fortran and C++.
   * We include both classic Grand Challenge applications and libraries as
     well as distributed simulation as in Forces Modelling seen in
     SIMNET/DSI.
   * We include parallel and sequential applications but will will only
     consider Java for Simulation as opposed to major commercial use of Java
     in Web Servers etc.
   * We include both optimized Java native compilers for numerical kernels
     and interpreted Java "wrappers" for visualization etc.
   * The Birds of the Feather meeting is aimed at getting a broad
     perspective of community interests and views.
   * The Syracuse workshop is aimed at a more technical discussion among the
     "believers".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some predjudiced references can be found at:

   * http://www.npac.syr.edu/users/gcf/javaforcsefall96/index.html which is
     a presentation given by Fox on subject
   * http://www.npac.syr.edu/users/gcf/hpjava3.html which is a draft report
     on data parallel Java by the PCRC -- Parallel Runtime Compiler
     Consortium
   * http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/pcrc/demos96.html includes some early
     work on HPJava by the Syracuse Group
   * http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/webspace/webbasedhpcc.html is a
     broader list of Syracuse projects linking HPCC and Web Technologies

Geoffrey Fox  [email-masked],   http://www.npac.syr.edu 
Phone 3154432163 (Npac central 3154431723) Fax 3154434741