Subject: RE: JDK 1.2 is out for Digital Unix

From: "Dr. Ranjan Sen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 15:51:28 -0500

just a curiosity... why should the JDK1.2 be 28M when that for the
Windows is 20M?
Is it because of the JRE difference in size?

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Houle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 1998 10:35 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: JDK 1.2 is out for Digital Unix

    Who knows what it means for Linux,  but a beta of JDK 1.2 is out for
Digital
Unix.  I've been quite impressed with the Beta JDK 1.1.7 from Digital
and I'm
hoping for the best.  I just started the 28M download...

---

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 09:54:02 -0600

It could be due to a number of reasons, but most likely...

Different executable sizes. Supposedly, there are some parts of the JDK
related to HotSpot (based on what I heard in a presentation) that use tools
written in C++ and not Java.

---

From: Paul Houle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 09:20:57 +0100

There are a couple of reasons why I can imagine the JDK being a little big
for Digital Unix.  Both could be wrong

(1) The Digital Unix JDK comes with the API documentation -- do the Windows
and Solaris versions?  The JRE,  development tools,  and documentation are
three separate install sets that are bundled in one file.  This is probably a
mistake.  I consider it a miracle that I was able to download a 30M file from
the US here in Germany.

(2) I'm pretty ignorant of what's under the hood in Alpha machines,  but I
assume that executables for a 64-bit machine are going to be larger than
executables for a 32-bit machine,  if only because of pointer and integer
constants.