Subject: Symphony...

From: "V.-H. Winterer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 18:43:24 +0100

Hello,

I thought this might be of interest for the readers of the java-for-cse
mailing list:

In the last few months I have developed Symphony in my free time, a
prototype of what might be called a (simple) massively parallel network
computer. The approach is straightforward using the reflection API of
the JDK. The range of computation tasks, which can be processed by
Symphony includes Monte-Carlos, image rendering, simulation of
stochastic processes and all sort of problem requiring no inter-process
communication. Due to the structure of the targeted range of numerical
problems to be solved by Symphony, an excellent scaling behavior is to
be expected and has already shown up in the first test runs. A simple
job scheduler, an algorithm for the efficient storage of results and
online control facilities have also been implemented.

Please visit
http://vowi.ruf.uni-freiburg.de/compute 
for further details, a short document giving more specific information
might be found following the "about" link. 

I would greatly appreciate comments and suggestions. Thank you!

Regards,
                  Volker 

PS: please feel free to get in touch with me if you are interested in
obtaining a copy of the Symphony package....
-- 

  Dr. Volker-H. Winterer                                        
  Rechenzentrum                  Office:              RZ-113
  Universitaet Freiburg          Phone:     +49 761 203-4646
  Hermann-Herder-Str. 10         FAX:       +49 761 203-4643
  D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.        mailto:[email-masked]
  http://www.uni-freiburg.de/rz/signatures/winterer.sig.html