Subject: CFP

From: "SF.Hummel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:46:56 -0400

<<<<<
#######################################################################
 #                                                                     #
 #                    Scientific Programming                           #
 #                                                                     #
 #                        Call for Papers                              #
 #                 A Special Issue Focusing on                         #
 #  High Performance Java Compilation and Runtime Issues               #
 #                                                                     #
 #######################################################################

 *** Introduction to the topic/motivation***

 Due to the limited life-span of today's supercomputers, achieving
 performance portability of parallel codes is of critical importance.
 Although Java was not specifically designed for the computationally
 intensive numeric applications that are the typical fodder of
 supercomputers, its widespread popularity and portability make it an
 interesting candidate for high-performance computing;  however, many
 open research questions remain regarding the viability of high
 performance Java-enabled environments.  These encompass topics ranging
 from compiler/runtime optimizations to the language design to
 interfacing with legacy libraries.

 Papers are solicited for a Special Issue of Scientific Programming,
 tentatively scheduled to be published in July, 1999.
 The purpose of this special issue is to focus on the fast-paced
 developments, experiences and research supporting high-performance
 execution of Java codes for numerical applications.

 Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

 *** your list of topics

 o JITs/Dynamic compilation
 o Native code generation
 o Analysis of numeric applications
 o Compiler optimizations
 o Garbarge collection
 o Language Specification (floating-point, array, object and  
thread models)
 o JVM design and implementation
 o Scalability issues
 o Highly parallel implementations
 o Distributed/web-based implementaions
 o Interfacing with legacy libraries

      Schedule:
     --------------------------------------------------
     | Submission deadline: July 31, 1998
     | Notification of Acceptance:  December 31, 1998
     | Target month of Special Issue:  July  1999
     --------------------------------------------------

 Authors should follow the Information for Authors at the end of each
 issue of Scientific Programming when preparing their manuscripts for 
 submission. An electronic copy of the manuscript, in Postscript format 
 and viewable with ghostview, should be submitted via electronic mail 
 to the guest editor by July 31, 1998. Submissions
 should include authors names, affiliations, addresses, fax and phone 
 numbers, email addresses, on the cover page. Only original manuscripts
 will be considered. All papers will undergo a peer review  
process. Authors
 will be notified of the final publication decision by December  
31, 1998.

 #######################################################################
 #   Guest Editor, Scientific Programming                              #
 #                                                                     #
 #    Susan Flynn-Hummel                                               #
 #    IBM T. J. Watson Research                                        #
 #    30 Saw Mill River Road                                           #
 #    Hawthorne, NY 10532                                              #
 #    Tel: (914) 784-7942, Fax: (914) 784-6242                         #
 #    email: [email-masked]                                     #
 #                                                                     #
 #######################################################################