Subject: Java for HPC chapter for cluster computing book

From: [email-masked] (RajKumar)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 19:57:24 -0500

Dear Sir:

I am seeking your contribution for a book "Cluster Computing"
proposed by me. I am also happy to inform you the following:

The proposed book project's "Seeking for contributing authors for 
Cluster Computing book" appears in the "Journal for Parallel and 
Distributed Computing Practices" January edition. This shows that 
the cluster computing book project is receiving international attension.

I have enclosed the message "Seeking.. Authors...." with this mail.
Please read on and send your contributions and suggestion to me.

I look forward for your kind reply.

With warm regards,
Sincerely, Rajkumar

     =======================================================
     Seeking Contributing Authors for Cluster Computing Book
     =======================================================

In the recent years, high speed network and improved  microproces-
sor  performance are making network of workstations  an  appealing
vehicle  for parallel computing. Cluster/network  of  workstations
built using commodity hardware or software is playing a major role
in redefining the concept of Supercomputing.

There are many independent efforts in progress in the industry and
research  labs for developing supercomputers based on the  cluster
concept. Currently, there are no books available which can act  as
a  reference  for researchers (in the industry  and  academy)  and
students at the post graduate level.

To fill this gap a book on "Cluster Computing" has been  proposed.
One of the leading US based international publishers has expressed
its willingness to publish the book as an International Edition.

The proposed book is expected to cover (but is not limited to) the
following aspects:

   * Cluster Hardware (Cluster of Workstations or PCs)
   * Cluster Operating System
   * Single System Image
   * Network Capabilities for Fast Communication
   * Message Passing Systems such as MPI and PVM for Clusters
   * Characterization of Communication and Synchronization Traffic
   * Operating Environments
   * Data Distribution and Load Balancing
   * Programming Paradigms/Environment for Clusters
   * HPCC Models for Graphics and Multimedia
   * Problem Solving Environment for Clusters
   * Tools for Operating and Managing Clusters
   * Development Environment
   * Parallel Debuggers
   * Parallel and Distributed Computing in Java
   * Algorithms for Solving Problems on Clusters
   * Building Applications on Clusters
   * Large Scale System Administration
   * Issues in Building Scalable Services
   * Fault Tolerance Issues for Clusters
   * HPC on Clusters
   * --> New Topics can be added based on your Comments <--

These topics are to be discussed both at the theoretical level and
also  at  the example system level. They are to  be  discussed  as
tutorial topics so that the proposed book will be of interest to a
large  number  of potential readers. As a whole, it  should  cover
"the what, why and how of cluster computing" both at the conceptu-
al and the programming level.

Call for Contributions

Contributions  to  the book in form of  independent  chapters  are
sought.  Chapters can have co-authors and an author or  co-authors
can  contribute more than one chapter. To contribute, please  pro-
vide the following information (as soon as possible):

   * a more or less complete table of contents of the chapter.
   * a brief discussion (overview/abstract) on the chapter.
   * a short biography (the type of biography found in an IEEE
   publication).

It is expected that the book will be completed in about six months
and  you need to send the above information as early as  possible.
The  book editor will work individually with the  contributors  to
establish the time frame for the completion of work.

For more information please feel free to contact:

Prof. Rajkumar
HPCC System Software Development Group
Centre for Development of Advanced Computing
2/1, Ramanashree Plaza, Brunton Road
Bangalore, Karnataka, India. PIN - 560 025
Email: [email-masked] / [email-masked] / [email-masked]
URL: http://members.tripod.com/~buyya
   http://cdacb.ernet.in/~raj
Phone: 91-080-5584271/5584982/5584143
Fax: 91-080-5584893

About the Editor:
=================

Rajkumar  is  a  Scientist, Operating Systems  Group,  Centre  for
Development  of  Advanced  Computing, Bangalore, India.  He  is  a
visiting  faculty  member  for the Bangalore  University.  He  has
coauthored  the books Microprocessor x86 Programming and The  Mas-
tering C++. He is an associate editor of Proceedings of the Fourth
International  Conference on Parallel and  Distributed  Processing
Techniques  and Applications (PDPTA'97), USA. He also serves as  a
reporter  for Asian Technology Information Program, Japan/USA.  He
has published numerous papers in International Conferences. He has
delivered tutorials at International Conferences held in India and
abroad.  He is associated with International Conferences  such  as
PDPTA'97,  CISST'98, PDPTA'98, CISST'98, etc. in  various  capaci-
ties.  His  research interests include Programming  Paradigms  and
Operating  Environments  for Parallel,  Distributed,  and  Cluster
Systems.