Subject: More Details on March 1 Java Grande Forum

From: Geoffrey Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:15:30 -0500

Here are our current plans for the last afternoon (March 1) of the
Java for High-Performance Network Computing Workshop at Palo Alto
(http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/conferences/java98). Please bring this to attention
of interested parties
Thank you

Java Grande Forum Afternoon of March 1 1998
The Java Framework for High Performance Network Computing,
in Scientific, Engineering and Commercial Applications
(see topics in http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/conferences/java98/cfp.html)

The intention is to set up a process that will reach consensus on key aspects of
Java and its associated runtime that will increase the ease of use and performance 
of Java in large scale computations. 
This initial meeting will build on earlier discussions especially at June 21 meeting 
at PPoPP and at SC97 Birds of a Feather. We will identify areas of interest 
and prioritize them for investigation. 
We will decide on a process and a timescale on which to move forward.
We will focus on technical issues assuming politically controversial areas like 
the Java rules for uniform numerical evaluation will be tackled elsewhere.

Areas for study include:
1)Refinements in the Java Language  such as value classes (e.g. complex), 
operator overloading, multi-dimensional arrays,  and parameterized types.
2)Frameworks for Java Runtime for areas such as scientific libraries, 
(meta)computing relevant services, distributed simulation and modeling, 
interoperable user interfaces, parallel and distributed computing (e.g. Java-MPI binding)
3)Frameworks for encapsulation of exisiting (legacy) codes and applications
written in C, C++, F77, F90, HPF, etc.

Please send suggestions for Agenda to [email-masked]