Subject: Reminder: CFP ACM 1997 Workshop on Java for Science and Engineering Computation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 11:52:35 -0500

CALL FOR PAPERS

                       ACM 1997 Workshop on 
          Java for Science and Engineering Computation 

                Sponsored by SIGPLAN and SIGNUM

                Las Vegas, Nevada, June 21, 1997 
             (In Conjunction with ACM SIGPLAN PPoPP) 
       http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/wei/javaworkshop.html 

The workshop on Java for Science  and Engineering Computation is aimed
at discussing  all issues of using  Java in simulations where today we
use  Fortran   and  C++. We  include     both classic Grand  Challenge
applications  and libraries as  well  as distributed simulation as  in
Forces   Modeling  seen in SIMNET/DSI. We   include  both parallel and
sequential applications but will  only consider Java for simulation as
opposed  to major commercial  use of Java in  Web  Servers. We include
both optimized Java     native compilers for   numerical   kernels and
interpreted Java   "wrappers"   for  visualization.  We   also include
research issues on Java  language, compilers, interpreters and runtime
systems.

The workshop  is aimed at   getting a broad  perspective of  community
interests and views, as well as  more technical discussions. A similar
Java workshop   was   held very successfully    in   Syracuse in  1996
(http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/javaforcse). A mailing list has been
created for  people interested in  Java   for Science and  Engineering
Computation. To join, send  a message with "subscribe java-for-cse" to
[email-masked].

Original submissions are   invited in  all  areas including   (but not
restricted to):

       * Java in Simulation 
       * Web based Computation Environments in Java 
       * Optimized Compilation of Java 
       * Just-In-Time vs. Offline Compilation 
       * JVM as Compiler Intermediate Representation 
       * Java Runtime Systems 
       * Java I/O 
       * Data Parallel Java 
       * Mapping C, Fortran, and C++ to Java 
       * Java as User Interface to Simulations 
       * Java as Wrapper Technology for Existing Scientific Codes 
       * Use of Java Applets to Illustrate Science for Education 

Papers  should  report new research and   should not exceed 5000 words
(approximately 10  typeset   on 16-point spacing,   or  15 typewritten
double-spaced pages). Short    papers (less  than   3000 words)   that
describe existing implementations  or work-in-progress, or outline new
problems  or important issues  are  also welcome. All accepted  papers
will be presented at the workshop and published  in a special issue of
the journal "Concurrency: Practice and Experience".

SUBMISSION 

Electronic submission is preferred. Please e-mail a postscript copy of
your  submission or send  three hard  copies  to one of the co-chairs.
Submissions must be received by 5pm (Eastern Time)  on April 10, 1997.
Authors will be notified by April 30.  Final camera-ready versions are
due by May 15.

PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS 

  Geoffrey C Fox                        Wei Li 
  NPAC                                  Department of Computer Science 
  111 College Place                     711 Computer Studies Building 
  Syracuse University                   University of Rochester  
  Syracuse, NY 13244-4100               Rochester, NY 14627-0226 
  Phone: (315) 443-2163                 Phone: (716) 275-2957 
  FAX: (315) 443-1973                   FAX: (716) 461-2018 
  [email-masked]                      [email-masked] 

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

  Marina Chen              Boston University 
  Ian Foster               Argonne National Labs
  Geoffrey C Fox           Syracuse University
  Dennis Gannon            Indiana University
  Susan Flynn Hummel       IBM T.J. Watson Research
  Wei Li                   University of Rochester 
  Joel Saltz               University of Maryland-College Park
  Klaus Schauser           University of California-Santa Barbara