Subject: MPI For Java

From: Glenn Judd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 18:40:26 -0600

I would like to announce the release of DOGMA 0.8 which features MPIJ.

MPIJ is a 100% Java implementation of MPI which is based on the C++
bindings.  On Windows NT, MPIJ meets or exceeds native MPI 
communication performance in many (not all) cases.  (MPIJ under NT is
also competitive with Linux MPI, and has clearly outperformed the one NT
PVM implementation we have tested.)  Performance on other platforms
varies with the quality of the JVM.

MPIJ's bindings are similar to those of mpiJava, however, MPIJ attempts
to conform to the Java Code Conventions set forth by Sun
(http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/).  Also, binding differences have
arisen due to the fact that MPIJ is 100% Java and not a wrapper to
native MPI.

You may browse the DOGMA documentation online at the download site.  The
documentation includes the MPI bindings, and I would appreciate feedback
on them.

DOGMA 0.8 with MPIJ may be downloaded from:
http://ccc.cs.byu.edu/DOGMA

This release of MPIJ is a new implementation.  Previous versions were
proof-of-concept implementations based on the C bindings and implemented
only a small subset of the MPI standard.  This release seeks to fully
implement MPI as much as practical.  (The current implementation is
substantial, but not yet complete.)

MPIJ is part of the DOGMA system which enables Java based parallel
computing on both dedicated clusters of nodes as well as
browser/screen-saver based nodes.

If you have questions or comments please e-mail me directly as I seem to
be losing some mail from the JavaCSE list.

Glenn Judd
[email-masked]