Subject: Numerical Libraries for Java

From: "Jim Townsend" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 15:47:15 -0800

1.  In the course of my Thesis studies at the Naval PostGraduate School, I
have had occasion to experience the weaknesses of Java when it comes to
solving Engineering type problems.  In order to proceed further, I have
developed, what I think, are very good Polynomial Equation creation, Complex
Number generation and handling, extensions of the Math.pow function to
include all real powers and real or complex numbers.  I have created a
Polynomial Root Finder that correctly implements the Cubic and Quartic Laws
for finding real and complex roots, and I have an implementation of Newton's
Method, to find roots of generic equations.  Presently, this last method
will only work for Polynomials of order 5 (or lower), but I anticipate
extending this to any order and more generic equation types before the
weekend.  I don't have a problem sharing, but I would like to retain
copyright and design control over my creations, (if they turn out to be
useful).  If you are interested, please let me know.

James R. Townsend
831-883-4651
[email-masked]