Subject: SC99

From: Geoffrey Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 07:38:38 -0400

I note April 30 is deadline for SC99 papers tutorials panels etc.
I wondered if anybody was submitting anything of relevance to Java Grande!
Should we submit a panel on behalf of the forum?
Comments welcome
Thanks

Geoffrey Fox  [email-masked],   http://www.npac.syr.edu 
Director of NPAC and Professor of Physics and Computer Science
Phone 3154432163 (Npac central 3154431723) Fax 3154434741

---

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:14:37 -0500 (CDT)

Geoffrey,

I would be interested in helping organize a series of tutorials, including
part of the tutorial I am doing at Java Grande 99. I think it would be a
*great* idea to have a Java Immersion Week of sorts with a number of
presenters. I noticed a number of excellent tutorials planned for Java
Grande 99 and ICS that could make an excellent starting point for this
immersion week at SC 99. I suppose the major question would be whether or
not we can get space/time in order to do this...

Best,
George

---

From: [email-masked] (Omer F Rana)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:27:17 +0100 (BST)

} 
} Geoffrey,
} 
} I would be interested in helping organize a series of tutorials, including
} part of the tutorial I am doing at Java Grande 99. I think it would be a
} *great* idea to have a Java Immersion Week of sorts with a number of
} presenters. I noticed a number of excellent tutorials planned for Java
} Grande 99 and ICS that could make an excellent starting point for this
} immersion week at SC 99. I suppose the major question would be whether or
} not we can get space/time in order to do this...
} 
} Best,
} George

This is a good idea. I have already submitted a proposal to SC99 for a 
half day tutorial on `Agent based High Performance Computing' -- which will be
an extension to the tutorial at JavaGrande meeting in June. 

regards
Omer

-- 
work:+44 (0)1222-875542 / otherwise:+44 0956-299981 / parallel and scientific 
computing group / room S2.03 / dept of computer science / university of wales
- cardiff / po box 916 / cardiff cf2 3xf / uk / email: [email-masked]

---

From: Ronald F Boisvert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:07:13 -0400

I think that the forum should sponsor a half-day panel to give an update
on its activities and to provide a forum for a few relevant technical
talks.  The SC98 panel was quite successful in my opinion.

Ron

---

From: Martin Westhead <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:02:02 +0100

Hi folks,

We have been talking about organizing a meeting (probably a BOF session
at the ACM JGF conference) on and around the benchmarking activities.
The idea would be to provide a forum to discuss the JGF benchmark suite
as it stands and the proposed future developments as well as to discuss
Java benchmarking activities and results in general.

We will also be at SC99 and could arrange a similar meeting there (the
BOFs submission date is some way off - Aug. 6th).

I had a couple of questions:
	1) Do people on the list think that there would be interest in such
meetings?
	2) Who should I contact in the ACM conference group about organizing
such a BOF...is there still time?

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

Martin

-- 
--------|epcc|------------------------------------------------ 
Dr Martin D. Westhead | <[email-masked]> 
                      | http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~martinwe 
Principal Consultant  | phone : +44 (0)131 650 5958       
    Research          | mobile: +44 (0)7050 193530
-------------------------------------------------|epcc|-------