Subject: concern

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:12:22 +0000

Hello Everyone:

I would like to express a friendly concern that the
concurrency/applications working group has been rather quiet lately. I
take this to mean everyone is either (a) busy working on deliverables
identified at the meeting or (b) busy working on their other work (both
very important).

I will begin by submitting that Michael Phillippsen, Dennis Gannon,
and I are working on the RMI section of the report. We expect to post a
draft of this report within the next week for comments.

There were a number of other action items identified during the meeting
with associated deliverables. It would be helpful to know the state of
progress on these action items. If you cannot remember the action items
for which you volunteered, please contact me or Dennis Gannon as soon as
possible.

My notes indicate there were two other major action items: benchmarking
and seamless computing. W.r.t. benchmarking, I have spoken to Martin
Westhead, but many others are involved in this effort. I would ask that
you please contact Martin in regards to the benchmarks for which you
have made a commitment.

W.r.t. seamless computing, Gregor von Laszewski of Argonne
National Laboratory has posted a call for participation for a meeting to
discuss one aspect of seamless computing: desktop access to remote
resources. This is a very important issue, and I would appreciate
everyone's help in ensuring the success of this meeting, especially if
you know of others who are working in this particular area--please
encourage them to participate!

Thank you for reading. It is my profound hope you can take a few minutes
out of your busy schedules to ensure our working group report is a
success. The numerics group appears to be well on its way to completing
their report, and I very much hope we can follow in their footsteps.

Thanks,
George K. Thiruvathukal
JGF Secretary

---

From: Denis Caromel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 17:54:29 +0200

Dear all,

Some information:

On our side, we are working on a benchmark application:
  a collaborative application that includes rendering in 
  parallel on a network of workstations, of course using RMI.
  (Have a look at  http://www.inria.fr/sloop/javall/images/C3D.jpg if 
   you want to have an idea of the interface.).

We should be able to post some figures in the next week or so, and
some report of this benchmark application later on.

Regards,

Denis  Caromel
Florian DOYON
Julien Vayssiere 
-- 
   Denis Caromel
   I3S - Univ. de Nice Sophia Antipolis - CNRS UPRESA 6070
   SLOOP, Projet commun CNRS-UNSA-INRIA Sophia Antipolis
   http://www.inria.fr/sloop/personnel/Denis.Caromel/
 
   Ph.: (33) 4 92 38 76 31
   Fax: (33) 4 92 38 79 71                     INRIA,
   E-Mail: [email-masked]                    2004 Rt. des Lucioles, BP 93
   Telex: GRP 970 006                          F-06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex