Subject: Numerics Working Group Report --- please review

From: [email-masked] (Ronald F Boisvert)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:39:33 -0400

The current draft of the Java Grande Forum Numerics Working Group
Report is now available for viewing by Forum participants at

	http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/report-v3.html

This version incorporates the results of discussions at the last
Forum (Aug 6-7 in Palo Alto).  It is being posted here for comment
until Monday September 7.  Please post all comments to
[email-masked] so that an open discussion can take
place.

During the week of Sept 7 the document will undergo final editing to
reflect the consensus of the group.  On September 14 the document
will be ready for public review and will be available for posting on
www.javagrande.org, but still marked "draft".  On that day, the
subset of the document that addresses floating-point arithmetic will
be submitted to Sun in response to their request for comments on the
Proposed Extension of Java Floating-Point Semantics; the deadline for
such comments is September 15.

After some period of public comment (say 30 days) the document can
undergo a final (hopefully minor) revision, after which a formal vote
should be taken by the forum to approve/disapprove the document.
If approved, we can remove the "draft" designation and present the
"findings" of the group at SC98.

Ron Boisvert
Roldan Pozo