Subject: [Fwd: SPEC Benchmarking Workshops]

From: Bodo Parady <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:58:12 -0700

SPEC will be sponsoring a one day session on HPC, Monday Sept 13
in Wupertal, Germany.  Javagrande members are encouraged
to participate.

Regards

    Bodo
---

 Announcement and Call for Participation!
 ========================================

Benchmarking Workshops:
  "Benchmarking Parallel and High-Performance Computing Systems
      at University of Wuppertal (Wuppertal, Germany), September 13 1999.

  "Benchmarking Computer Systems: SPEC Meets Researchers and Benchmark Users"
      at Siemens AG (Paderborn, Germany), September 14 1999.

The workshops will be sponsored by the Standard Performance Evaluation
Corporation (SPEC), Siemens AG (Paderborn, Germany) and the
University of Wuppertal's Department of Mathematics Scientific Computing
Group (Wuppertal, Germany), and will be held in conjunction with
the SPEC joint meeting, September 15-17 1999. Hosted by SPEC member
 company Siemens AG, the SPEC joint meeting will be held in
Paderborn, Germany. The following SPEC focus groups will be present:

     OSG: Open Systems Group
     GPC: Graphics Performance Characterization Group
     HPG: High Performance Computing Group

***********************************************************************
This notice is a call for contributions for the two upcoming
SPEC Workshops scheduled for:

     Monday, September 13 1999 at the University of Wuppertal, Germany
     Tuesday, September 14 1999 at Siemens AG in Paderborn, Germany
***********************************************************************

Workshop Deadlines:
===================
 July 20, 1999: Intention to contribute a paper: send 100 to 200 word
                abstract to [email-masked]. Please indicate on which
                workshop day your contribution should be included.

 August 15, 1999: Notification of accepted presentations and authors.

 Hotel accommodations and reservations: note, only a limited number of
                hotel rooms are blocked for workshop participants until
                August 15, 1999. Thereafter, a hotel reservation might be
                possible but cannot be guaranteed.

 Wuppertal Workshop: more information on hotel accommodations is available,
                along with an online requestform for hotel reservations.

 Paderborn Workshop: information about hotel accommodations will be available
                mid-June. If information is needed earlier, please contact
                Kristin Wichert, Siemens AG, Paderborn. For travel information
                on Paderborn, please see the location information page of
                Siemens Nixdorf Paderborn.

 September 1, 1999: Final abstract of presentation due at [email-masked]

Intention to participate (without a paper): please complete the online
                registration form at
                    http://www.spec.org/events/specworkshop/germany/.

Workshop Program Committee:
===========================
The selection of papers will occur on the basis of abstracts (1-3 pages).
The following international program committee will select the papers
for the workshop:

     Maria Calzarossa, University of Pavia, Italy
     Rudolf Eigenmann, Purdue University, USA
     Andreas Frommer, University of Wupperatal, Germany
     Greg Gaertner, Compaq Computer Corporation, USA
     Bodo Parady, Sun Microsystems, USA
     Reinhold Weicker, Siemens AG, Paderborn, Germany

Workshop Motivation:
====================
The Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC), known for its
 benchmark development, has a broad industrial member base.
Although SPEC benchmarks are widely used in academic research as well,
there have been only occasional attempts for an active dialog
between the SPEC membership and the research community in developing and
using benchmarks and performance evaluation methodologies.
The workshop intends to bridge this gap. Participants are invited to present
 research results that make use of SPEC benchmarks, describe
studies with applications that may be used as next-generation benchmarks,
discuss issues and solutions in developing new benchmarks, and
present novel approaches for evaluating research results. Of particular
interest are presentations that discuss these issues in the context of
realistic applications that have a broad user base.

Workshop Goal:
==============
The goal of the workshop is to foster an exchange of information and ideas
 in the area of performance measurement and evaluation, with
primary emphasis on benchmarking; that is, the systematic comparison of
competing computer systems on the basis of standardized programs.
Typical topics are:

     selection of representative loads
     comparison of benchmarks with load profiles from real life
     special properties of CPU and system benchmarks
     run rules for a fair comparison of systems
     benchmarks as optimization targets for industrial development and
academic research
     correlation of benchmark results with performance data obtained from
other sources.

This list is intended to only give some examples; it is not meant to exclude
 other topics related to benchmarking and performance measurement.

Workshop Tradition:
===================
Traditionally, the workshop is held in an informal environment that
 encourages free information exchange. There is no registration fee, but
advance reservation is necessary for space allocation planning. Although
there will be no advance proceedings, copies of slides for
distribution at the workshop are appreciated. Based on the submitted material,
authors of selected presentations will be asked to submit full
papers for publication in formal workshop proceedings.

Workshop attendees are  invited to attend one or several sessions of the
SPEC joint meeting, which is held on the three days following the
workshops. An agenda with the open SPEC meetings will be made available
to all workshop participants.

Workshop Coordinators:
======================
Andreas Frommer, University of Wuppertal, phone: +49-(0)202-439-2979
Reinhold Weicker, Siemens AG, phone: +49-(0)5251-8-12766

For more information:
=====================

      http://www.spec.org/events/specworkshop/germany/

Or, contact the SPEC Office, email: [email-masked], phone: +1.703.331.0180