Subject: JGMPWG meeting 1 Oct.

From: Vladimir Getov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 00:06:12 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

As announced earlier our next JavaGrande Message-Passing WG meeting 
has been scheduled for Oct. 1 at NPAC, Syracuse. The meeting will 
take place in room 3.216, which is located in the Science and 
Technology building (NPAC is on the third floor), 111 College Place, 
on the main campus of Syracuse University.

Please note that this is an open meeting - everyone interested is most
welcome to attend and contribute. In order to prepare better for the 
meeting intending participants should email Bryan Carpenter 
([email-masked]) ASAP.

The format of the meeting is: 

 8.00 - 8.30   Continental breakfast
 8.30 - 12.30  Morning session (with coffee break)
12.30 - 1.00   Buffet lunch
 1.00 - 4.00   Afternoon session (with coffee break)

Tentative Agenda:

1. Introduction

2. Draft specification of Java binding for MPI - MPJ

3. The development of RI - status, problems, schedule, etc.
 
4. O-O Java-centric message-passing environments

5. The development of a single strategy for the introduction of 
  message-passing into the Java platform; 

6. Performance evaluation and comparisons between different frameworks and 
  implementations.  

7. EOB

8. Date and place of next meeting and close

Please send your SUGGESTIONS for the agenda including proposed titles for
short presentations, etc.

Accommodation:

Recommended hotels for the night of Thursday, September 30 are 

  Sheraton University Hotel
  801 University Ave
  Syracuse, New York
  Tel (315) 475-3000
  (5-10 minutes walk from NPAC)

or

  The Genesee Inn
  1060 Genesee Street,
  Syracuse, New York 13210
  Tel (315) 476-4212
  (About 20 minutes walk from NPAC)

PLEASE NOTE that the weekend immediately following the meeting is "Parents 
Weekend" at the University, and essentially all hotels in the Syracuse 
area are fully booked for Friday and Saturday.  If you need to stay over 
after the meeting, please contact Bryan Carpenter ([email-masked]) as 
soon as possible.

The cab ride between Hancock International Airport and the University
is likely to take 20-30 minutes.

Regards,
		-Vladimir

---

From: Vladimir Getov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:36:02 +0100 (BST)

Good news! Our BOF proposal has been accepted for inclusion in the
SC'99 programme - Java Grande Forum Message Passing WG, 17 Nov.,
5:30 pm, at SC'99 in Portland. Some more details follow below.

Regards,
		-Vladimir

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BOF Title: Message Passing for Java 

Organizers: Vladimir Getov and Geoffrey Fox

Abstract: This BOF session will serve as an open meeting of the Java 
Grande Message-Passing working group. The group is a community effort 
within the frame of the JavaGrande Forum activities. The aim of the group 
is to provide an environment for discussion and collaboration in the 
research and development of portable message-passing frameworks and 
corresponding APIs for the Java programming language with focus on 
JavaGrande applications. Important current objectives of the group are 

- the development of an MPI-like API for Java - MPJ; 
- research into O-O Java-centric message-passing environments; 
- the development of a single strategy for the introduction of 
  message-passing into the Java platform; 
- performance evaluation and comparisons between different frameworks and 
  implementations. 

The session will include (provisionally) short presentations from Bryan 
Carpenter - NPAC, Glenn Judd - BYU, Doug MacDonald/Eric Sharakan - 
Sun-HPC, Tony Skjellum - MST, Marc Snir - IBM, and others.