Subject: Short Course on High Performance Java announced

From: Geoffrey Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:45:05 -0500

I was asked to make the following information available

                           short course on

                High-Performance Programming in Java:

                        Collections and Beyond

                         January 21-22, 1999

                    Department of Computer Science
                           Brown University

               http://www.cs.brown.edu/cgc/javacourse/

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview

In this practical, hands-on course, students will learn new techniques
for rapidly developing high-performance software in Java.  The
recently introduced Java Collections Framework and related Java class
libraries provide general-purpose algorithms and data structures that
can be used to build an "algorithms layer" in an object-oriented
design.  These libraries have important benefits such as:

   * Correct and efficient solutions to problems that are usually
     difficult and expensive to implement.
   * Improved program readability through standard interfaces.
   * Tailored implementations by selecting among classes that satisfy
     the same interface.

This course teaches how to take advantage of these powerful class
libraries to develop efficient and robust solutions to complex
problems.  A number of sophisticated and practical algorithms and data
structures are presented.

The first part of the course focuses on the Java Collections
Framework, one of the new features of the JDK 1.2. The second part
covers more advanced data-structuring techniques that extend the
functionality of the Java Collections Framework.

The course includes lectures and lab sessions, where students will
develop a variety of applications. A certificate of completion of the
course will be issued.

The course is sponsored by the Center for Geometric Computing at Brown
University and Johns Hopkins University, and by Algomagic
Technologies, Inc.

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audience

The intended audience is software developers, engineers, and
scientists interested in writing more efficient Java applications. A
working knowledge of the Java programming language is assumed.

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Program

 Object-Oriented Design of Data      Beyond the Java Collections
 Structures and Algorithms           Framework

    * abstract data types and Java      * limitations of the
      interfaces                          Collections framework
    * overview of object-oriented       * JGL[tm]: The Generic
      design patterns                     Collection Library for Java
    * algorithms as objects             * JDSL: The Data Structures
    * algorithmic design patterns         Library for Java
    * the algorithms layer              * new design patterns for data
    * benefits of algorithms and          access: Position, Locator,
      data structures libraries           and Decoration
                                        * position-based and key-based
 The Java Collections Framework           containers

    * limitations of the java.util   Sequences and Trees
      package in JDK 1.1
    * collections and maps              * nodes and positions
    * iterators and comparators         * array-based and link-based
    * general-purpose and wrapper         implementations
      implementations                   * an improved Vector class
    * abstract implementations
    * polymorphic algorithms         Priority Queues and Dictionaries
    * exceptions
    * interoperability                  * keys, items, and locators
                                        * heaps
 Using the Java Collection Classes      * hash tables
                                        * red-black trees
    * elementary data manipulation      * skip-lists
    * searching
    * sorting                        Graphs and Networks
    * developing custom
      implementations                   * decorations
                                        * graph traversals
                                        * shortest paths and minimum
                                          spanning trees

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructors

Robert F. Cohen, President, Algomagic Technologies, Inc.

Michael T. Goodrich, Professor of Computer Science, 
	Johns Hopkins University

Roberto Tamassia, Professor of Computer Science, Brown University

The instructors are international experts in algorithms, data
structures, and software engineering Cohen has extensive experience in
teaching professional software development courses in the U.S. and
internationally.  Goodrich and Tamassia are authors of the highly
acclaimed book Data Structures and Algorithms in Java.

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fees and Registration

The course fee includes class notes, the book Data Structures and
Algorithms in Java by Goodrich and Tamassia (Wiley, 1998), lunches,
and coffee breaks.  Reduced fees are available for companies that are
members of the Industrial Partners Program of the Computer Science
Department at Brown, for academic institutions, and for government
organizations.  Discounts for multiple participants from the same
institution can be arranged.

                             Before    After
                            12/31/98  12/31/98
              General         $695      $745
          Brown IPP Partner   $575      $625
        Academic/Government   $275      $325

The registration form is available on the course Web site
http://www.cs.brown.edu/cgc/javacourse/

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cancellations and Refunds

The organizers reserve the right to cancel the course by January 5,
1999 if an insufficient number of registrations is received. In this
case, a full refund of the course fee will be made.

The course fee minus a service charge will be refunded in case of
cancellations by participants.  Depending on when the cancellation
notification is received, the service charge will be as follows: $50
(by December 31, 1998), $150 (by January 15, 1999), $250 (after
January 15, 1999).

  ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further Information

       Course Web Site

                http://www.cs.brown.edu/cgc/javacourse/
               
        Course Program

                Roberto Tamassia, [email-masked], 401-863-7639
                   
        Registration and Local Arrangements

                Mary Andrade, [email-masked], 401-863-7611