Subject: Talk on 3/16: High Performance Java Computing

From: Mary Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:58:37 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:08:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Larry Carter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Talk on Tuesday

  Title: Multi-Language Programming Environments for High Performance
         Java Computing
Speaker: Vladimir Getov, University of Westminster, London 
   Date: Tuesday, March 16
   Time: 10:30 - 11:30
  Place: 4882, APM
   Host: Larry Carter ([email-masked])   

Recent developments in processor capabilities, software tools, programming
languages and programming paradigms have brought about new approaches to
high performance computing. A steadfast component of this dynamic
evolution has been the scientific community's reliance on established 
scientific libraries. As a consequence, programmers of high-performance 
applications are reluctant to embrace evolving languages such as Java.  
My talk introduces the Java-to-C Interface (JCI) tool which provides 
application programmers wishing to use Java with immediate accessibility 
to existing scientific libraries. The JCI tool also facilitates rapid 
development and reuse of legacy code.  These benefits are provided at 
minimal cost to the programmer.  While beneficial to the programmer, the 
additional advantages of mixed-language programming in terms of application 
performance and portability are addressed within the context of this work. 
In addition, I'll discuss how the JCI tool is complementing other ongoing 
projects such as IBM's High-Performance Compiler for Java (HPCJ) and IceT's 
metacomputing environment. These are the major building blocks for a range 
of current and future programming environments from JDK and MPI on small
platforms to virtual multi-paradigm environments using HPCJ and MPI with
threads on hybrid S/DM-based SP systems.

|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|>=<|
 Mary P. Thomas                     Voice: (619) 534-5061 
 Scientific Computing Group         Fax:   (619) 534-5117 
 San Diego Supercomputer Center    
 P.O. Box 85608                     Email: [email-masked] 
 San Diego, CA 92186-5608           URL:   www.sdsc.edu/~mthomas