Subject: BOUNCE [email-masked]: Header field too long (>1024)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:47:07 -0400 (EDT)

>From javagrandeforum-owner  Fri Sep 11 11:46:32 1998
Received: from osiris.sis.port.ac.uk ([email-masked] [148.197.100.10]) by postoffice.npac.syr.edu (8.7.5/8.7.1) with SMTP id LAA13320; Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:46:29 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from mordillo (p36.nas1.is5.u-net.net) by osiris.sis.port.ac.uk (4.1/SMI-4.1)
	id AA11111; Fri, 11 Sep 98 16:48:17 BST
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 98 14:38:08 +0000
From: Mark Baker  <[email-masked]>
Subject: CPE - Call for papers - Message Passing Interface-based Parallel Programming with Java
To: [email-masked],
        "[email-masked]'"  <[email-masked]>,
        "Dr. Kenneth A. Williams"  <[email-masked]>,
        "Stephen L. Scott"  <[email-masked]>,
        "Aad J. van der Steen"  <[email-masked]>,
        Advanced Java  <[email-masked]>,
        Alexander Reinefeld  <[email-masked]>,
        Andy Grant  <[email-masked]>,
        Anne Trefethen  <[email-masked]>, Bryan Capenter  <[email-masked]>,
        Charles Grassl  <[email-masked]>, Dave Beckett  <[email-masked]>,
        David Snelling  <[email-masked]>,
        DIS Everyone  <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        [email-masked], Guy Robinson  <[email-masked]>,
        Hon W Yau  <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        Jack Dongarra  <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        Joao Gabriel Silva  <[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked],
        Ken Hawick  <[email-masked]>,
        Mike Berry  <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], Paul Messina  <[email-masked]>,
        Roland Wismueller  <[email-masked]>,
        Steve Larkin - AVS  <[email-masked]>,
        Terri Canzian  <[email-masked]>,
        Tony Hey  <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        Vaidy Sunderam  <[email-masked]>,
        Vladimir Getov  <[email-masked]>,
        William Gropp  <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Chameleon ATX 6.0.1, Standards Based IntraNet Solutions, NetManage Inc.
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Message-Id: <Chameleon.905526764.mab@mordillo>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

Dear Colleague,,

Firstly, I apologise for any cross-posting of this email.

If this CFP is not in your field we would appreciate you forwarding it
to your colleagues who may be in the field.

This CFP can be found at http://hpc-journals.ecs.soton.ac.uk/CPE/Special/MPI-Java/

Regards

Dr Mark Baker
University of Portsmouth, UK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Papers

Special Issue of Concurrency: Practice and Experience

Message Passing Interface-based Parallel Programming with Java

Guest Editors
Anthony Skjellum (MPI Software Technology, Inc.)
Mark Baker (University of Portsmouth)

A special issue of Concurrency: Practice and Experience (CPE) is being
planned for Fall of  1999. Papers submitted and accepted for this issue
will be published by John Wiley & Sons  Ltd. in the CPE Journal and in
addition will be made available electronically via the WWW. 

Background 
  
Recently there has been a great deal of interest in the idea that Java
may be a good language  for scientific and engineering computation, and
in particular for parallel computing. The  claims made on behalf of
Java, that it is simple, efficient and platform-neutral - a natural 
language for network programming - make it potentially attractive to
scientific programmers  hoping to harness the collective computational
power of networks of workstations and PCs,  or even of the Internet. 

A basic prerequisite for parallel programming is a good communication
API. Java comes with  various ready-made packages for communication,
notably an easy-to-use interface to BSD  sockets, and the Remote Method
Invocation (RMI) mechanism. Interesting as these  interfaces are, it is
questionable whether parallel programmers will find them especially 
convenient. Sockets and remote procedure calls have been around for
about as long as  parallel computing has been fashionable, and neither
of them has been popular in that field.  Both communication models are
optimized for client-server programming, whereas the  parallel computing
world is mainly concerned with "symmetric" communication, occurring in 
groups of interacting peers. 

This symmetric model of communication is captured in the successful
Message Passing  Interface standard (MPI), established a few years ago.
MPI directly supports the Single  Program Multiple Data (SPMD) model of
parallel computing, wherein a group of processes  cooperate by executing
identical program images on local data values. Reliable point-to-point 
communication is provided through a shared, group-wide communicator,
instead of socket  pairs. MPI allows numerous blocking, non-blocking,
buffered or synchronous communication  modes. It also provides a library
of true collective operations (broadcast is the most trivial  example).
An extended standard, MPI 2, allows for dynamic process creation and
access to  memory in remote processes. 

Call For Papers 

This is a call for papers about the designs, experience, and results
concerning the use of the  Message Passing Interface (MPI) with Java are
sought for a special issue of Concurrency  Practice and Experience.
Development of clear understanding of the opportunities,  challenges,
and state-of-the-art in scalable, peer-oriented messaging with Java are
of interest  and value to both the distributed computing and high
performance computing communities. 

Topics of interest for this special issue include but are not limited to: 

-- Practical systems that use MPI and Java to solve real distributed
   high performance  computing problems. 
-- Designs of systems for combining MPI-type functionality with Java. 
-- Approaches to APIs for object-oriented, group-oriented message passing with Java. 
-- Efforts to combine MPI with CORBA in a Java environment. 
-- Efforts to utilize aspects of the emerging MPI/RT standard are also
   of interest in the  Java context. 
-- Efforts to do MPI interoperability (IMPI) using Java. 
-- Issues and both tactical and strategic solutions concerning MPI-1 and
   MPI-2 standard  and features in conjunction with Java. 
-- Performance results and performance-enhancing techniques for such systems. 
-- Flexible frameworks and techniques for enabling High-Performance
   communication in Java

Timescales for Submission

There is a deadline of  15th December 1998 for submitted papers. Publication is currently 
scheduled for the third quarter of 1999. 
  
Activity 		Deadline
Call For Papers 	1st September 1998
Paper Submission	15th December 1998
Papers Returned		15th March 1999
Papers Approved		1st April 1999
Publication		Q3 1999

Further details about this special issue can be found at:

http://hpc-journals.ecs.soton.ac.uk/CPE/Special/MPI-Java/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------
Dr Mark baker
CSM, University of Portsmouth, Hants, UK
Tel: +44 1705 844285	Fax: +44 1705 844006
E-mail: [email-masked]
Date: 09/11/98 - Time: 14:38:08
URL http://www.dcs.port.ac.uk/~mab/
-------------------------------------