Subject: Applications anc Concurrency Benchmark

From: Martin Westhead <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 14:04:30 +0100

Hi folks,

As you may know part of the actions of the Applications and
Concurrency group was to pull together a suite of benchmarks. EPCC has
taken on the responsibility for doing this, and there are a couple of
people here working on trying to get a framework together for
Supercomputing. The intention is not to write new benchmarks at this
stage but to take existing ones, place them within a common framework
and provide data sets etc. suitable for testing Grande performance.

Details of this work will be included in the Working Group report, you
can also find this information at our website:

http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/research/javagrande/benchmarking.html

These pages will be updated as the work progresses. We are very keen
to get feedback on our approach, choice of benchmarks etc. as well as
trying to find suitable benchmarks codes to fill some of the gaps. 

If you have any comments please mail: [email-masked].

Many thanks,

Martin

-- 

--------|epcc|---------------------------------------------------
 Dr Martin D. Westhead   |  <[email-masked]>
                         |  http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~martinwe
  Principal Consultant   |  phone : +44 (0)131 650 5958
       Research          |  mobile: +44 (0)705 0193530
----------------------------------------------------|epcc|-------

---

From: Denis Caromel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 15:24:26 +0200

Dear all,

On our side we are also working on some benchmark application
(a collaborative 3D system with a distributed ray-tracing).
A screen shot of the application can be seen at 
http://www.inria.fr/sloop/javall/images/C3D.jpg

We'll be able to achieve demonstration of the system at SC'98.
Does somebody plan some space for JavaGrande demonstrations?

We have some preliminary result, but we are still working in order
to get benchmarks on different platforms.
We'll set up a web page with the results very soon, and include
them in the report.

Regards,
Denis
-- 
   Denis Caromel   mailto:[email-masked]  Tel.:(33) 4 92 38 76 31  Fax: 79 71
                                       http://www.inria.fr/sloop/Denis.Caromel/
   Professeur 
   Univ. de Nice Sophia Antipolis          INRIA, 2004 Rt. des Lucioles,  BP 93
   SLOOP, INRIA - I3S CNRS - UNSA          F-06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex