Subject: SciMark 100! Challenge

From: [email-masked] (Roldan Pozo)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:57:13 -0500

So, who has got the fastest Java environment for scientific computing?

The SciMark benchmark (http://www.math.nist.gov/scimark) measures
various computational kernels common in scientific codes (FFTs, Monte
Carlo, LU, etc.). We maintain a list of contributed performance 
scores on over 30 different platforms.

The highest SciMark score is currently 92.7, measured on a 450 MHz Pentium II 
running NT 4.0 and Sun's JDK 1.1.6 [1].  Can anyone beat this?  
We have not yet received numbers for Kaffe, HotSpot, Symantec, and 
a few other Java environments.  Also, there are several research
projects involving experimental JITs and optimizing compilers. 
Here's a chance to show off how good these are!

In fact, we're throwing down the SciMark 100! Challenge:  the first 
person to submit a SciMark score over 100 will be eligible to 
receive ONE of the following prizes[2]:

o) an all-expense paid vacation to Tahiti,
o) a red convertible foreign sportscar, 
o) a very cool NIST coffee mug

together with an acknowledgement in the upcoming SC '98 SciMark report
and a special mention at our Web site.

Also, be sure to check out the Java Linpack and other benchmarks
at the Java Numerics site (http://www.math.nist.gov/javanumerics).

Cheers,
Roldan

-------
[1] 450MHz Pentium II, Windows NT 4.0, Sun JDK 1.1.6, submitted by 
Loki D. Quaeler-Bock <[email-masked]>.

[2] Offer void where prohibited; must 18 or older to play; blah, blah, blah...