Subject: URGENT: Your input needed for javagrande.org. Please help!

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 16:48:26 -0500

Hello Everyone:

Note: This is not junk mail! It is a call for YOUR participation!

The purpose of this e-mail to solicit everyone's input for the Java
Grande Forum web site. I am
currently working on two different activities:
1. updating the current web site with any late-breaking information.
2. working on a new "look and feel" for our web site.

Let me first address #1. I have been going through the web site and
bring a few things up to date. In
order to bring some of the items up to date, I need everyone's help. I
am going to list these items
by section (i.e. top-level link from javagrande.org) along with the
names or "classes" of key people who are most likely to notice whether
something is missing or not.

    a. About the Forum - up-to-date. (everyone)
    b. Public Information - I think this is reasonably up-to-date.
(Geoffrey, Sia, workgroup chairs)
    c. Java Calendar - probably not up-to-date. (everyone)
    d. Meetings - probably not up-to-date. In particular, I am missing
summaries from the three
        group meetings that took place at ACM Java Grande 1999.
(workshop chairs, people who
        attended those meetings)
    e. Workgroups - probably up-to-date. (workgroup chairs)
    f. Community Activities - rather sparse. I have received two
summaries from myself, Denis
        Caromel at INRIA, and Joe Darcy. I would welcome everyone's
input. You can visit the
        link from the home page to Community Activities and send me what
is being requested.
        All projects are welcome! (everyone)
    g. SC 98 - up-to-date. Does anyone want to help me get something
together for SC 99?
    h. Reports - probably up-to-date, although I think it would be nice
if any workgroup reports
        appear here (directly) someday.
    i. People - probably up-to-date. Please contact me if you or anyone
else's information is
        (a) incorrect, or (b) missing.

Now for item #2. I would appreciate any input regarding a new design for
the web site. I am rather
anxious to move away from FrontPage and return to more generic-looking
HTML; however, I
would like to retain the consistent look and feel that we get with
FrontPage. One of my current
needs is to enlist someone with a penchant for making nifty looking
graphics to help me with the
design of a logo. If you have a student who can help, that would work
just fine!

Ok, I look forward to hearing from everyone. I have already made a
number of changes to bring
existing content up to date; however, I REALLY DO NEED YOUR HELP! Please
take a look at the
site now and let me know what we can do better. A feature article
recently appeared on the Java
Grande Forum on IDG and subsequently on cnn.com. It is very important to
me that as our efforts
become more visible it is of utmost importance to have the best web site
at all times.

Thanks kindly to all of you for your help in advance.

George K. Thiruvathukal
JGF Secretary General
DePaul University, School of CTI, JHPC Laboratory
243 S. Wabash Avenue
Chicago, IL 60604