Subject: Announcing the LaTTe JVM

From: "Prof. Soo-Mook Moon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:22:01 +0900 (KST)

Our apologies if your receive multiple copies...

===============================================================

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] The LaTTe Java Virtual Machine

The LaTTe virtual machine has been released. It is a freely available
virtual machine intended to execute Java classes. It can be obtained
from <http://latte.snu.ac.kr/>.

LaTTe is research prototype for the study of dynamic (just-in-time)
compilation techniques. Among its features are:

* A fast and effective JIT compiler with
  - efficient register mapping and allocation
  - "traditional" optimizations (e.g., common subexpression elimination)
  - object-oriented optimizations (e.g., customization & limited specialization)

* A limited framework for adaptive compilation, which is currently
  based on method run counts.

* A reasonably fast bytecode interpreter, intended to be used with
  the adaptive compilation framework.

* Lightweight monitors.

* On-demand translation of exception handlers.

* A fast, non-incremental garbage collector.

As a result, the performance of the LaTTe JVM is competitive with that 
of commercial JVMs, such as Sun's Hotspot and JDK 1.2 production release,
even without exploiting adaptive compilation.

LaTTe runs on top of Solaris 2.5 or higher on UltraSPARCs. Currently,
there is no plan to port LaTTe to other platforms.

LaTTe was developed by the MASS Laboratory at Seoul National University
with sponsorship from the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center. 

For downloading, documentation, and support please visit
http://latte.snu.ac.kr/

===============================================================
Thank you very much for your time in reading this announcement. 
If you have any questions about LaTTe, please contact us at 
[email-masked], and we would be happy to help to the 
extent we can. Please feel free to pass this announcement on to 
other colleagues who might be interested. We hope you will enjoy 
the LaTTe Web site.

Prof. Soo-Mook Moon
Seoul National University

Dr. Kemal Ebcioglu
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center