Subject: Hi all

From: Vladimir Getov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 22:19:00 +0100 (BST)

As of this afternoon (EDT) we've got 39 subscribers on the
'java-mpi' mailing list! I am sure there will be some more
to join.

Java-MPI is a community effort within the frame of the JavaGrande
Forum activities. It all started last year as an attempt to have
a single Java-MPI API specification in order to achieve portability
between several ongoing projects. As Bryan mentioned in his e-mail
a couple of weeks ago the suggested topics for discussion include 
(I've included "Grande applications" in item 3):

  1) Issues relating to agreement on a common Java API for MPI
     (a draft proposal can be found in the appendix of the "MPI for Java"
     position document at "www.javagrande.org/reports.htm").

  2) Issues about implementing MPI functionality in Java.
     Implementations can be 100% Java, or Java wrappers to native MPI
     implementations.

  3) User's experiences developing parallel application codes in Java,
     using an MPI binding.  Experiences using Java-MPI in Grande
     applications as well as a vehicle for teaching message-passing 
     parallel programming are very relevant.

  4) Parallel benchmark codes written in Java, using an MPI binding.
     Results of running such benchmarks.

Also, Glenn Judd has agreed to maintain a web-page with the current 
open questions, problems, etc. regarding the draft Java-MPI 
specification which is to be found at

http://notch.cs.byu.edu/javampi/BindingIssues.html

This (or something similar) seems to be important for our joint work 
as we'll have a 'summary' of what's been discussed, which will be a
good basis for editing the draft specification document.

We are planning a Java-MPI meeting within the frame of the Java Grande
Conference/Meeting in Palo Alto, June 12-14. Please let me know if you
are planning to come so that we can prepare better for the discussion.

Thank you all for subscribing to java-mpi. It's now time to use this
e-mail reflector :-)

Vladimir