Subject: SPECjvm98 announcement

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 23:51:41 -0500

Hi All:

I know this announcement will be interesting to all who participated in
the excellent discussions on benchmarking at our previous forum meeting.

SPECjvm98 has just been announced, and it will be available for $100 from
SPEC.

Below is a listing of what you get with the benchmark (copied from the
announcement at http://www.javasoft.com/pr/1998/08/pr980819.html).
Interestingly, there is no benchmark specifically for numerics processing,
but I suspect _200_check (nice name, isn't it?) will do some numerics and
array measurements.

Enjoy,
George

The following tests are included in the SPECjvm98 benchmark suite:

_200_check - A program developed by SPEC to check JVM and Java features.
_201_compress - A popular LZW compression program.
_202_jess - A Java version of NASA's popular CLIPS rule-based expert
system, licensed from Sandia Laboratories.
_209_db - Data management benchmarking software written by IBM.
_213_javac - The JDKTM Java compiler licensed from Sun Microsystems.
_222_mpegaudio - The core algorithm for software that decodes an MPEG-3
audio stream; licensed from Fraunhofer Institut fuer Integrierte
Schaltungen, a leading international research lab.
_227_mtrt - A dual-threaded program that ray traces an image file.
_228_jack - A real parser-generator licensed from Sun Microsystems.

*--------------------------------------------------------------------*
| George K. Thiruvathukal                                            |
| Loyola University Chicago          Tele: 773.508.3558              |
| Damen Hall, 3rd Floor              Fax: 773.508.2123               |
| 6525 North Sheridan Road           E-mail: [email-masked]        |
| Chicago, Illinois 60626            Web: http://www.jhpc.org/george |
*--------------------------------------------------------------------*

---

From: [email-masked] (Nik Shaylor)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:16:19 -0700

>but I suspect _200_check (nice name, isn't it?) will do some numerics and

Hi George, _201_check is not a part of the benchmark metric, it just tests
that the JVM conforms to a basic level of Java platform compatibility.
There are some codes here that to a little FP (mpegaudio, mtrt), but they
only use single precession. It is mostly an integer benchmark.

Nik

---

From: [email-masked] (Nik Shaylor)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:23:11 -0700

FYI...

>From: Roldan Pozo <[email-masked]>
>Date: Fri, 21 Aug 98 17:11:49 EDT
>Subject: SciMark Java Benchmark Now Available
>
>SciMark, an interactive Java numerical benchmark is now available at
>
>                      http://www.math.nist.gov/scimark
>
>The SciMark benchmark consists of various kernels (FFT, Monte Carlo, sparse
>matrix computation, finite-difference stencils, and LU factorization)
>and is meant to provide an indication of how well Java environments
>perform on numeric and scientific applications.
>
>SciMark can be run interactively within your browser, or downloaded
>to run in other Java environments.  The web site includes bar-graph 
>comparisons between various computer/Java platforms, as well
>as an archive of previous results.
>
>Roldan Pozo
>Math and Computational Science Division
>NIST