Subject: Jampack

From: [email-masked] (G. W. Stewart)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:39:32 -0500 (EST)

I am pleased to announce the initial release of Jampack, a package for
manipulating matrices in Java.  The package was developed at
NIST and the University of Maryland.  It has the following features.

1. Classes for general, diagonal, and triangular complex matrices.
   (In the future real matrices and a band matrix class will be
   added.)

2. Suites of methods to implement the common matrix operations and
   functions, including the solution of linear systems.

3. Classes implementing the common matrix decompositions.

4. Classes to generate and apply plane rotations and Householder
   transformations.

5. A feature for keeping track of matrix decompositions so they
   do not need to be recomputed when they are used later.

Jampack is not a finished package.  The purpose of this preliminary
release is to find out if there is enough interest in the package
to justify its further development.  Jampack and its documentation
can be obtained from NIST at

or from the University of Maryland at

ftp://thales.cs.umd.edu/pub/Jampack/Jampack/AboutJampack.html

or from NIST at

ftp://gams.nist.gov/pub/Jampack/Jampack/AboutJampack.html

G. W. (Pete) Stewart