Subject: Re: Comments on Proposal for Extension of Java Floating Point in JDK 1.2

From: [email-masked] (Ronald F Boisvert)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:54:04 -0400

Here is a reply from Tim Lindholm of the Java development team at Sun
regarding the response and counterproposal to Sun's Proposed Extension
to Java Floating Point Semantics that I submitted on behalf of the
Numerics Working Group yesterday (the last day for public comment).

Ron Boisvert

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email-masked]  Wed Sep 16 16:47:41 1998
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:47:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tim Lindholm <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Tim Lindholm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Comments on Proposal for Extension of Java Floating Point in JDK 1.2
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Content-MD5: qzNfbQ+fRbOt+KPH1EILBw==
Content-Length: 930

Hi Ronald,

> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:38:43 -0400
> From: [email-masked] (Ronald F Boisvert)
> To: javasoft-spec-comments@Eng
> Subject: Comments on Proposal for Extension of Java Floating Point in JDK 1.2
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> September 15, 1998
> 
> TO: Sun Microsystems
> 
> FROM: Numerics Working Group (http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/)
>       Java Grande Forum (http://www.javagrande.org/)
> 
> RE: Response to "Proposal for Extension of Java Floating Point Semantics,
>     Revision 1, May 1988"

Thanks for forwarding the Java Grande counterproposal.  I think it's
excellent work.  We are trying very hard to use as much of the proposal
as is feasible, given both other constraints and extreme time pressure
to close JDK 1.2.  If it proves we cannot incorporate many of the
recommendations of the counterproposal, whether now or in the future, I
will consider that to be unfortunate.

-- Tim

----- End Included Message -----