Subject: SCCS database

From: Barbara Mihalas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 18:23:55 -0500 (EST)

Nancy, Terri, Paul, 

This database needs some serious user testing at this point.  

The first thing to try is the new data input using the technical
report input form.

Note that if you select a document type of "contract" or any of 
the publication types and also elect to store the record and not
just look at it, then the return screen will have a form for input
of contract or publication information.

I am still finishing the update stuff, but I would appreciate if you
would look at some of that.  In particular the 
"List and update documents by Document Type and SCCS number" is new
and makes it easy to go through and update just publication info
for all documents of a particular publication type.

The update forms all work, but the processing of them is still being
debugged.  Took time out from development to start documenting 
everything.   Will send first file of documentation next.  

Please let me know about everything that either doesn't work at all
(like all the update processing) or needs some tuning to be convenient
or usable or whatever.    If you can identify by URL and screen name,
that would be very helpful.

         Thanks, Barbara

---

From: Nancy McCracken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 96 17:10:54 EST

> for all documents of a particular publication type.

Barbara,

Great work.  I had fun looking at this.  Here are comments on small
things:

First of all, in the top level, 
you need to print what is the last document number so that people can 
add one to get the next free document number.

In the input data form:  RESA_TECH.input_record

There is a top section labelled "You must fill out these fields", and I'm
not sure that all of them require filling out.  What about fields 3-6,
version number and source sccs doc information?  That seems optional.
Also, at the bottom of this section is a field ISBN number, which probably
shouldn't even be here - it probably goes with book chapter.

Is there any particular way that the date should be formatted, or are you
prepared to cope with most forms?

Under optional fields, I guess that I would prefer that Approved for WWW
had yes for default.  It seems the most likely option.

I'm not sure that I understand about the submitted by, submission status,
etc.?  Does this mean submitted as an SCCS report?  Or is this where you
put things like "Submitted to the IEEE Conference on Geriatric Web Documents",
which, by the way, sometimes needs to be printed along with the technical
report reference.

Oops, Geoffrey just asked me to make up homework problems for his class
tonight - guess I'll look at the other parts later!

Nancy