Subject: readme

From: Animesh Chatterjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 13:55:46 -0500 (EST)

TITLE:  The Ray-Identification Renderer and the supporting software for
        Mars fly-by demo system

PURPOSE:  The released system is an interactive visualization demo system
       for exploration of large earth and planetary datsets.  It contains 
       a scalable parallel terrain renderer running on the Intel Paragon,
       a terrain navigator running on the SGI workstation, and
       a network routing service program.  

PLATFORMS:  The system consists of softwares running on the Intel Paragon,
      and the SGI graphic workstation.  The following is a list of programs
      for each platform:

      Intel Paragon:
	The ray-identification renderer
	Tiler (a program that preprocesses the input datasets into tiles)

      SGI:
	Spaceflyer (the terrain navigator GUI)
	Mapshow    (a 2-D map viewer)
        Router     (Network routing service)

AUTHORS CONTACT INFORMATION:

     The renderer, tiler, and the router:

	Peggy Li        [email-masked]
        Jet Propulsion Laboratory
	Califonia Institute of Technology
	Mail Stop 138-310
	4800 Oak Grove Drive
	Pasadena, CA 91109

     The Spaceflyer and Mapshow

	Yu-Wen Tung	[email-masked]
        Jet Propulsion Laboratory
	Califonia Institute of Technology
	Mail Stop 138-310
	4800 Oak Grove Drive
	Pasadena, CA 91109

Copyright (C) 1994, California Institute of Technology. U.S. Government 
Sponsorship under NASA Contract NAS7-1260 is acknowledged.

This software was developed in part under the NASA High Performance Computing
and Communicatin Program, Earth and Space Sciences Project.

NOTICE TO USERS:
	
Caution: This software is in the "beta test" stage of development, and is
being distriuted to you on an AS-IS basis.  It should not be used in
connection with any project where inadvertent failure could cause measurable
harm.  Please report any bugs you discover to the authors listed above.

LEGAL STUFF:

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF
PERFORMANCE, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. USER
BEARS ALL RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE.

Source Code Language: C

List of Files included in the distribution package:

README	bin/	data/	lib/	src/

bin:
paragon/	sgi/

bin/paragon:
gateway*	render*		runreader.mars*	tiler*
README          reader*		runmars*	runtiler.mars*

bin/sgi:
README		mapshow*	runmapshow*	spaceflyer*
Router*		mars.cfg	runspaceflyer*

data:
mars.ele.121x60		mars.rgb.1152x576	mars.text

lib:
libc_Messager.a

src:
README		messager/	render/		tiler/

src/messager:
Constant.h	Init.c		Messager.h	Queue.h		Storage.c
Function.c	Makefile	Msg_cont.c	Resource.c	Storage.h
Function.h	Messager.c	Queue.c		Resource.h	Typedefs.h

src/render:
Makefile	footprint.c	imgdefs.h	pyramid.c	util.c
configure.h	gateway.c	outdefs.c	reader.c	vicdefs.h
cvicsubs.c	global.h	outdefs.h	render.c	wrender.c
decompose.c	image		portdef.h	render.h

src/tiler:
Makefile	global.h	portdef.h	tiler.c		vic_utils.c
configure.h	imgdefs.h	render.h	util.c		vicdefs.h

INSTRUCTION FOR RUNNING TEST CASES:

You need the following hardware to run the test cases:

	An Intel Paragon (at leaset 65 compute nodes)
	A IOSC Hippi Framebuffer connected to the Paragon
	At lease one SGI machine (with texture mapping)

In order to run the test case included in this release, you have to
add the following lines in your .cshrc file:

	set RENDERHOME "where you install the software"
	set MACHINE  "sgi" or "paragon" 
        set path=($RENDERHOME/bin/$MACHINE $path)
	setenv SPACE_DIR $RENDERHOME

Then, you need to edit the scripts runmars and runreader.mars in 
$RENDERHOME/bin/paragon according to the instruction given in the script
files.  

There are two ways to run the test cases:  

1. To run the renderer as a standalone program.  Simply log on to the
   paragon and type
  
   % runreader.mars

2. To run the renderer interactively with the Spaceflyer.

You have to start the Router and the Spaceflyer on
one SGI machine and the Mapshow on another SGI.  If you don't have two
SGI machines, you may either start Mapshow on the same SGI machine 
or not run it at all.  Mapshow tells you where the viewer's current
location is, and is not required to run the demo.  To run the Router, do

	% Router &

The Router is supposed to run in the background.  You don't need to 
restart it everytime once it is running. To run the Spaceflyer, do

	% runspaceflyer

To run the Mapshow, do

	% runmapshow

On the paragon site, do

	% runmars