Subject: Some questions

From: Zheng Gengbing <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:13:24 +0800 (EAT)

Hi ,

 I have some queastions :
 1.  What is 
      SLIBS = -ll -ly
     mean in the Makefile of hpf2dep ?
     I found it cannot pass in Linux .
 2.  Since  defnodes.h is used both in hpf2dep & hpfcc , why not put it in
     /include ?

thanks,

***************************************************************************
*     Zheng Gengbin                 *                                     *
*                                   *                                     *
*  Dept. of Computer Science        *  Phone:  86-10-2585088              *
*         & Technology              *  Email:                             *
*                                   *      [email-masked]   *
*  Peking University P.R.China      *  Mail:                              *
*                                   *      Room 1077 ,Building 47,        *
*                                   *      Peking University, P.R.China   *
***************************************************************************

---

From: Zheng Gengbing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:01:34 +0800 (EAT)

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Guansong Zhang wrote:

> On Apr 17,  4:13pm, Zheng Gengbing wrote:
> > Subject: Some questions
> >
> > Hi ,
> >
> >  I have some queastions :
> >  1.  What is
> >       SLIBS = -ll -ly
> the -ll and -ly indicate to link with standard lib with lex and yacc, I don't
> know much about Linux, does it has lex and yacc?
> 
> If it has flex and bison only, maybe you need not use these two flag. This also
> a problem of configuration.
> 

 I do use yacc & lex in Linux , the error message is

ld:/usr/lib/liby.a: file format not recognized; treating as linker script
ld:/usr/lib/liby.a:1: parse error

 After I delete the  -ll -ly , the compilation succeeded . And the execution
is also good . The 'check compare' is same as in HP9000 !

> I don't put it in include, because I think it is the most poor written file.
> Most module include it only for include other header files through it, though
> this kind of use is usual in coding, it causes trouble in Makefile, one have to
> trace all the file included in a include file to get a proper dependence on
> that module.
> 
> I hope this file will be improved, if we have more time.
> 
> And I don't know the meaning of define of *BIT in this file?
>

   *BIT  record the attributes of a symbol . It's very important .
Such as PARAMETER_BIT , this mean a symbol is defined as a parameter .
We will check these attributes in hpfcc . 
  
 In  semantic check of expression , I also expand the attributes to llnd .
which record the attribute during parsing the llnd tree. As an example of
expression   a+b , if symbol a & b is both a parameter , then the root 
node(+) of a+b is also  has PARAMETER_BIT .  

 Since it's tedious to have two defintions of BIT in both  hpf2dep & hpfcc
, I think it's better to put it in include .