Subject: Re: your mail

From: Zheng Gengbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:21:46 +0800 (EAT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Bryan Carpenter wrote:

> 
> (If this response gets through to China I will be surprised because
> I have been trying to get through for weeks...)
>

	I think that's because this machine was shutdown during the vacation.
You can also mail to my account on my PC (Linux) now:  
        [email-masked] .   If this machine fails.
 
	Thank you for your explaination on the diagonal array definition. It
seems we have to improve fortran interface to support this . As to your 
  over(x)
    at(y | x)
      a [[x, y]] = 3 ;

I cannot find the function over() in Adlib kernel . Is that in your new
version?

	I have another question about transforamtion functions .
	In previous days , we wrote fortran interface on  the transformation 
functions defined in transformation.h .

	When I try this:

	integer a(4),b(4,4)
	forall (i=1:4)  a(i)=sum(b(i,:))

	I found something strange , if index is from 1 to 4 , which is the
range of the a declaration , it runs ok. But if the loop is from 1 to 3 , 
which do not cover the whole range of a , it failed .

	At last I figure out , it seems sum() ( which is a reduce function)
must be performed by all the processors to sum out the value . Maybe
when we devide the computing according to owner-computing rule , some 
processors is idle and don't execute the sum() , so the sum() functions
failed to run properly. Is that right ? If so , it will be very difficult
to support such kind of intrinsic functions in forall . Have you any 
idea?

> > 
> > Bryan , have you latest Adlib ready to distribute ? I hope to keep up
> > your update .
> > 
> 
> I'm afraid it still isn't ready.  I'm still working on the
> documentation.  If this message gets through I'll send the latest
> version of the documentation, at least.
> 

	Thanks, I look forword to your new version .

Gengbin